Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question Power Steering for KE70

hi,

I need ideas/solution for putting a power steering rack in corolla 1980(KE70). Two years back one rack was available in Shershah but was not in good condition so dropped the idea. Is is advisable since parts would be scarce now.

Any one tried putting in an EPS and is it reliable since I don't want to mess up the reliability at high speeds.

Please advise if anyone has done this sort of setup successfully.

thanks

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

contact me !

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Genuine Was Hard To Find...Though People Custom Install It With Mods....!

I Would Advice Not To Mess With It If You Won't Find Anything Quiet Of A Good Match/Person Experienced In It

You Also Need Power Steering Pump For Engine Which Is Itself A Rear Find Along With Lines...That Need To Be Customize Also...!
    TOYOTA Sprinter 86- AE80 DOHC 20v'D TOYOTA Corolla 98- AE101 4AFE 16v

XT
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SER_GTR View Post
    Genuine Was Hard To Find...Though People Custom Install It With Mods....!

I Would Advice Not To Mess With It If You Won't Find Anything Quiet Of A Good Match/Person Experienced In It

You Also Need Power Steering Pump For Engine Which Is Itself A Rear Find Along With Lines...That Need To Be Customize Also...!
    True.....parts are very rare now. I have one person in mind that can do reliable mods but wont proceed until i get all the parts sorted out.

thanks.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

why not u go for a EPS. japnese alto EPS will fit in your KE70 perfectly.
    moreover if u want for the other conventional Power streeing. u have to look for power pump + other stuff of a toyota cresseda. it is the best suitable power streeing for your Ke70

XT
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

which car's eps will fit in? Any one experimented this?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

well i have this eps bought it for my civic 87 but unfortunately it cant be fitted in my car cause of very little space in it .. you can check if it can fit in your car
    https://www.pakwheels.com/accessorie...eps-khi-677725

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I find it really hard to swallow, People are installing EPS in such cars?? the steering column is not an item to be played around with, A badly setup column will kill you in a crash as it proceeds to break your ribs.

btw - the original Ke70 corolla steering is already quite easy to turn without power assist.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

from where does it break when accidents happens^^^^^^^^^^^^

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the original steering column will break off and crush itself when the body firewall is pushed in, It uses nylon rivets for this purpose and is mentioned in every service manual to never hit the column or threaded shaft with a hammer as it can collapse it. The design also incorporates the angle of the column.

If it does not break the entire column along with steering will come inwards in a crash and crush your ribs and neck killing you.

When you choose to do a jugaarbaazi setup like an Alto EPS into a corolla - you took out every aspect of safety.

The column is like a rod inside a pipe, the rods are riveted together, when the crash happens it forces the column inside - as it is tightened to the body the rivets break and the can now become shorter.

Even the old VW beetle had it - in that car the breakaway part is like a diamond shaped fence piece made of cast material that was very brittle. It is also standard insurance practice around the world never to repair or work on a steering column. It is always replaced with a brand new factory part.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^^^^^but if i do the jugaarbazi with the rack and not the column then i think that we are not disturbing the breakaway part in the column and the eps that i bought for me was the whole rack and the problem due to which couldn't install it is its width.... i guess it depends that if we install eps on the column or changes the column then probably we would be changing the holder of the column too which will result in the jugaarbazi of the break away mechanism... i guess changing the whole rack doesn't disturb the break away mechanism what do you say...
    @XT you could install a HPS rack of corolla probably newer model and then install EHPS on it (may be the pump of mr2 or VW ) so no pump on engine ..... and you get your Pwr steering....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ke70 has three different types of steering and all of them are interchangeable. Two are power and one is standard. In Rawalpindi you can find the orignal power steering but they are not as hard working as the simple steering which requires very less to no maintainace where as in case of power you have to take care of power steering fluid also there are more chances of seals leaking.
    The simple steering is also not that hard for KE 70

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the three types of steering in the *E70 corollas ae

worm and ball gearbox = used on station wagons only - wont fit on sedans.
    manual rack and pinion
    power assisted rack and pinion.

the last two are interchangeable. The pump is mounted uptop and has brackets that resemble the **AFE engine power pumps, its reservoir is the same too.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    the three types of steering in the *E70 corollas ae

worm and ball gearbox = used on station wagons only - wont fit on sedans.
    manual rack and pinion
    power assisted rack and pinion.

the last two are interchangeable. The pump is mounted uptop and has brackets that resemble the **AFE engine power pumps, its reservoir is the same too.
    Can a manual rack and pinion from a KE70 be installed in an early model TE20 without much alteration? If yes, what parts would be required for the conversion? I know of a guy who can undertake the job and execute it pretty well. Just need to know if it's a good idea as I'm tired of repairing the worm gearbox over and over again and I seriously do not want to rebuild it again.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

bro its Pakistan not some houston. where it hard to swallow...............???????????

nothing is bad in it. proper fitting makes it good to use.
    i am using toyota cersseda power pump in my KE70 from 2004. no proble a friend of mine is using EPS in his Ke70 for more than a year.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Having a KE70 for 30+ years now...and its till with me.....dismantled once its steering column to replace bearing at the lower end ...mine is non power steering ......steering column in KE70 is not COLLAPSIBLE inside the cabin in case of an accident......The collapsible link lies between two crosses outside the cabin and in the engine bay....steering rod inside the cabin of KE70 is in ONE PIECE.....
    Now come to power steering conversion.....
    First of all you will have to change the "LOWER CROSS MEMBER" (which has engine mounts ) because power rack has a bigger diameter than non power one.....and after that other parts obviously.....
    EPS is difficult to install in steering column as we (me and Xulfiqar) discussed in detail about my RX7 steering .....
    But in case of KE70....if some one can do that without disturbing the small collapsible link between two crosses outside the cabin...then it might be possible....
    What you say
    Xulfiqar

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Operative View Post
    bro its Pakistan not some houston. where it hard to swallow...............???????????

nothing is bad in it. proper fitting makes it good to use.
    i am using toyota cersseda power pump in my KE70 from 2004. no proble a friend of mine is using EPS in his Ke70 for more than a year.
    I have lived in Pakistan for the longest time and have seen such "alterations" a lot, the problem is not about fitment only - anyone can slap and hammer a rack in there of any choice they want, That does not mean its good. The original design was thought out first. e.g. The great no. of bigger Honda engines in Daihatsu shells is apparently "good" While actually they are useless. A car that has to visit a shop for every hiccup every 2 weeks is not good in any sort of way if its for regular road use.

And speaking of power pumps, most old toyota light duty hydraulic pumps are similar with mounting bracket differences only.

Quote Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
    Having a KE70 for 30+ years now...and its till with me.....dismantled once its steering column to replace bearing at the lower end ...mine is non power steering ......steering column in KE70 is not COLLAPSIBLE inside the cabin in case of an accident......The collapsible link lies between two crosses outside the cabin and in the engine bay....steering rod inside the cabin of KE70 is in ONE PIECE.....
    Now come to power steering conversion.....
    First of all you will have to change the "LOWER CROSS MEMBER" (which has engine mounts ) because power rack has a bigger diameter than non power one.....and after that other parts obviously.....
    EPS is difficult to install in steering column as we (me and Xulfiqar) discussed in detail about my RX7 steering .....
    But in case of KE70....if some one can do that without disturbing the small collapsible link between two crosses outside the cabin...then it might be possible....
    What you say
    Xulfiqar
    The two crosses (u joints) you see are not collapsible - they are assembled on splines and locked into place. If you look at a completely totaled car you will know how the entire thing is collapsible. The crossmember is slightly different but you can it. If you cannot locate it then you need to make new mounts for the rack, When doing this you have to make sure the rack remains in the exact same location to preserve correct steering arm pivot point otherwise you will suffer from bump steer or skeetering at high speed.

If you can find an oldschool scrappie - they might be able to point you in the right direction to get these old items.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by supraman2jz View Post
    Can a manual rack and pinion from a KE70 be installed in an early model TE20 without much alteration? If yes, what parts would be required for the conversion? I know of a guy who can undertake the job and execute it pretty well. Just need to know if it's a good idea as I'm tired of repairing the worm gearbox over and over again and I seriously do not want to rebuild it again.
    The TE20 crossmember is narrower than the 70 one, it also does not have any provision for mounting a rack, you can look for a KP steering rack (starlet) but make sure you also find the steering arms (the parts where the ball joint and tie rod fit into) they are different length in a E20 corolla because it uses worm gearbox and idler arm steering links.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    I have lived in Pakistan for the longest time and have seen such "alterations" a lot, the problem is not about fitment only - anyone can slap and hammer a rack in there of any choice they want, That does not mean its good. The original design was thought out first. e.g. The great no. of bigger Honda engines in Daihatsu shells is apparently "good" While actually they are useless. A car that has to visit a shop for every hiccup every 2 weeks is not good in any sort of way if its for regular road use.

And speaking of power pumps, most old toyota light duty hydraulic pumps are similar with mounting bracket differences only.

The two crosses (u joints) you see are not collapsible - they are assembled on splines and locked into place. If you look at a completely totaled car you will know how the entire thing is collapsible. The crossmember is slightly different but you can it. If you cannot locate it then you need to make new mounts for the rack, When doing this you have to make sure the rack remains in the exact same location to preserve correct steering arm pivot point otherwise you will suffer from bump steer or skeetering at high speed.

If you can find an oldschool scrappie - they might be able to point you in the right direction to get these old items.
    Let me take a pic tomorrow and share with you..... Xulfiqar
    r.....please visit my other thread in which we talked about converting RX7 steering into EPS...But we dropped because it was recirculating ball type....I have come across an EPS...WITH RECIRCULATING BALL TYPE box steering....will share pics too and your comments about it as well as suggestions...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

please do share, I had a mazda 808 for the longest time and as you know it also uses a similar setup, by the inherent design there is about 1 1/4 inch freeplay in the steering gearbox even when brand new so installing an EPS would make it want to ram the steering input under the EPS motor torque.

I remember someone offered you a full hydraulic setup for your 7, That would have been the best option for you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List