Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Here are recommended oils for Corolla

  1. #1
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    GoodMan7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,407
    Follows
    8
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Here are recommended oils for Corolla

    Have got the manual of Corolla & gone through the Oils page.
    Here are the details what Toyota recommends in their manual issued by Indus Motor Company Limited.

    ENGINE OIL
    2NZ-FE 3.7L (with Filter)
    1ZR-FE 4.2L (with Filter)
    2C 5.1L (with Filter)

    Oil Grade: 5W-30 and 10W-30
    API Grade: SL, SM

    Can also use 15W-40 and 20W-50, SL or SM grade.
    (Page no. 280, Lubrication System)

    For Diesel Engine: G-DLD-1, API CF-4, CF, 5W-30 and 10W-30 (Page 282)


    COOLING SYSTEM CAPACITIES
    2NZ-FE 5.2L
    1ZR-FE 5.5L
    2C 5.9L
    Coolant type: Use either of the following
    > Toyota Super Long Life Coolant.
    > Similar high-quality ethylene glycol-based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite and non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology.
    Note: DO NOT USE PLAIN WATER ALONE.
    (Page 284)



    GEAR OILS FOR MANUAL TRANSAXLE
    2NZ-FE 1.9L SAE 75W-90 API GL-4 or GL-5
    1ZR-FE 2.4L SAE 75W Toyota's Gear Oil LV or equivalent. API Grade is only GL-4
    2C 2.5L SAE 75W-90 API GL-4 or GL-5
    (Page 285)


    GEAR OIL FOR AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE
    Fluid Capacity 6.4L
    Fluid type Toyota ATF WS
    (Page 286)



    MY TECHNICAL SUGGESTION FOR CHOICE OF ENGINE OIL (its not in the manual though. lol)

    Please DO NOT be panic to find only the SL or SM grade engine oils because manual says so. Plz don't. Instead, try to choose SN Grade oils (which is latest standard) and more importantly already covers all the characteristics & properties of previous grades.
    Example: SM grade oil surely has the properties of SL, SG, SH, SJ, grades (the older ones, but it will not meet SN standards). Hence if you will choose SN, then it will automatically be having properties/characteristics of SM, SL, SG, SH grades plus the new ones which makes is SN.
    Hope clear.

    No Guts, No Glory.

  2. #2
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    GoodMan7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,407
    Follows
    8
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Mostly we know these cars by 'cc' instead of engine names.
    So here the details of the engines in cc

    2NZ-FE is 1300 cc (Actually its 1298 cc)
    1ZR-FE is 1600 cc (Actually its 1598 cc)
    2C is 2000 cc (Actually its 1974 cc)
    No Guts, No Glory.

  3. #3
    PakWheeler Follow
    cancer4u28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Toyota has only one recommended product for 1ZR-FE 4.2L which is 10w30. in imported oils we can't find this grade. their own 5w30 is only recommended for cold weather by toyota

  4. #4
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    GoodMan7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,407
    Follows
    8
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cancer4u28 View Post
    Toyota has only one recommended product for 1ZR-FE 4.2L which is 10w30. in imported oils we can't find this grade. their own 5w30 is only recommended for cold weather by toyota
    Well many among us pay less attention to the "pour point" (pp) of the oil. Pour point of a liquid is the temperature at which it becomes semi solid and loses its flow characteristics.

    example
    LM 5/30 PP is -42 Degree C
    LM 10/40 PP is -34 Degree C
    LM 20/50 PP is -28 Degree C
    Similarly, all other company's same viscosity oils have more or less same PP.

    So, technically if somebody is living in Gilgit Agency in -20 Degree C and using 20/50 in his car/truck, the oil should still perform good. No?
    No Guts, No Glory.

  5. #5
    PakWheeler Follow
    faadi.k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    39
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoodMan7 View Post
    GEAR OILS FOR MANUAL TRANSAXLE
    2NZ-FE 1.9L SAE 75W-90 API GL-4 or GL-5
    1ZR-FE 2.4L SAE 75W Toyota's Gear Oil LV or equivalent. API Grade is only GL-4
    2C 2.5L SAE 75W-90 API GL-4 or GL-5
    (Page 285)
    Whats the difference between API GL-4 and GL-5? Which one to be preferred for 2007 2NZ-FE (1.3L XLi)?

  6. #6
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    GoodMan7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,407
    Follows
    8
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by faadi.k View Post
    Whats the difference between API GL-4 and GL-5? Which one to be preferred for 2007 2NZ-FE (1.3L XLi)?
    Yes. 2NZ-FE is XLI & GLI too, both 1300CC.
    The difference between GL-4 & GL-5 is of "Standards".
    GL-5 is the latest one.
    No Guts, No Glory.

  7. #7
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Newton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    ĶIm using caltex 5w 40 synthetic with original oil filter drain interval at 7000 what do u say ?

    Another thing I changed the gear oil at 40k kms new oil was caltex thuban viscosity was within range but in winters gears become pretty hard in early start. I start the car with clutch pressed and when I release it after starting car kinda pushes forward can u plz tell me y this happens.

    Car is 2010 xli total mileage around 62k

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using PW Forums mobile app

  8. #8
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    GoodMan7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,407
    Follows
    8
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newton View Post
    ĶIm using caltex 5w 40 synthetic with original oil filter drain interval at 7000 what do u say ?

    Another thing I changed the gear oil at 40k kms new oil was caltex thuban viscosity was within range but in winters gears become pretty hard in early start. I start the car with clutch pressed and when I release it after starting car kinda pushes forward can u plz tell me y this happens.

    Car is 2010 xli total mileage around 62k

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using PW Forums mobile app
    Choice of oil & interval time is perfect. But for the safer side, its good to change the filters after 3~4K instead of running same filters upto 7K.
    Yes gear oil life is usually 40 ~ 50K. But if the clutch is hard, then perhaps you poured the thicker one gear oil.
    Would you write here which gear oil you used?
    No Guts, No Glory.

  9. #9
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Newton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoodMan7 View Post
    Choice of oil & interval time is perfect. But for the safer side, its good to change the filters after 3~4K instead of running same filters upto 7K.
    Yes gear oil life is usually 40 ~ 50K. But if the clutch is hard, then perhaps you poured the thicker one gear oil.
    Would you write here which gear oil you used?
    I used caltex thuban

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using PW Forums mobile app

  10. #10
    PakWheeler Follow
    cancer4u28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    i gone to makki oil to shift my oil from Petron 20-50 to 10w-30. He stops me from choosing 10w-30 becz its now for both gasoline and diesel engine, saying it is not suitable product for cars. Than give me option for Zic A+ and Total 05-30. I opt the total 5w-30 one.

  11. #11
    PakWheeler Follow
    ehalin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Multan
    Age
    44
    Posts
    402
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoodMan7 View Post
    Yes. 2NZ-FE is XLI & GLI too, both 1300CC.
    The difference between GL-4 & GL-5 is of "Standards".
    GL-5 is the latest one.
    GL 4 and GL 5 are not like SL or SN for engine oils. GL 5 is also not backward compatible with GL 4. Check cars owner manual and use the recommended oil.
    -

  12. #12
    PakWheeler Follow
    ehalin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Multan
    Age
    44
    Posts
    402
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoodMan7 View Post
    Choice of oil & interval time is perfect. But for the safer side, its good to change the filters after 3~4K instead of running same filters upto 7K.
    Yes gear oil life is usually 40 ~ 50K. But if the clutch is hard, then perhaps you poured the thicker one gear oil.
    Would you write here which gear oil you used?
    For normal driving conditions you don't need to change (until a very high mileage, if you are planning to keep your car for that long) gear oil in Toyota corolla GLi or XLi (2009~ models.)
    But if you live in Karachi and during monsoon season you negotiate deep water then change it as soon as possible after a deep water crossing or at least check its condition for water mixing.
    Also if you routinely drive at high speeds greater than 80% of max speed then change gear oil routinely may be after 80,000 kms or so.
    -

  13. #13
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    GoodMan7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,407
    Follows
    8
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ehalin View Post
    GL 4 and GL 5 are not like SL or SN for engine oils. GL 5 is also not backward compatible with GL 4. Check cars owner manual and use the recommended oil.
    That’s why I didn't suggest him to use GL-5.
    By the way, its confirmed that manual allows both GL-4 & GL-5 also.
    OP is from the manual infact.
    No Guts, No Glory.

  14. #14
    PakWheeler Follow
    faadi.k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    39
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoodMan7 View Post
    That’s why I didn't suggest him to use GL-5.
    By the way, its confirmed that manual allows both GL-4 & GL-5 also.
    OP is from the manual infact.
    Next time I change my car I'll 1st make sure it has got the manual with it..
    @GoodMan7, which oil would u use, had u been in my shoes!!

  15. #15
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,400
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoodMan7 View Post
    Well many among us pay less attention to the "pour point" (pp) of the oil. Pour point of a liquid is the temperature at which it becomes semi solid and loses its flow characteristics.

    example
    LM 5/30 PP is -42 Degree C
    LM 10/40 PP is -34 Degree C
    LM 20/50 PP is -28 Degree C
    Similarly, all other company's same viscosity oils have more or less same PP.

    So, technically if somebody is living in Gilgit Agency in -20 Degree C and using 20/50 in his car/truck, the oil should still perform good. No?

    oil does not suddenly change to a block of gel at the pour point number - as the temperature goes down gradually the oil starts to thicken - hence if you are using 20W50 in Gilgit Agency in a 5 litre sump engine, your oil pump will try to suck glue like oil (it will rob about half the engine power at the 250 rpm cranking speed.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  16. #16
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    talhawaleed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    1,812
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoodMan7 View Post
    Have got the manual of Corolla & gone through the Oils page.
    Here are the details what Toyota recommends in their manual issued by Indus Motor Company Limited.

    ENGINE OIL
    2NZ-FE 3.7L (with Filter)
    1ZR-FE 4.2L (with Filter)
    2C 5.1L (with Filter)

    Oil Grade: 5W-30 and 10W-30
    API Grade: SL, SM

    Can also use 15W-40 and 20W-50, SL or SM grade.
    (Page no. 280, Lubrication System)

    For Diesel Engine: G-DLD-1, API CF-4, CF, 5W-30 and 10W-30 (Page 282)


    COOLING SYSTEM CAPACITIES
    2NZ-FE 5.2L
    1ZR-FE 5.5L
    2C 5.9L
    Coolant type: Use either of the following
    > Toyota Super Long Life Coolant.
    > Similar high-quality ethylene glycol-based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite and non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology.
    Note: DO NOT USE PLAIN WATER ALONE.
    (Page 284)



    GEAR OILS FOR MANUAL TRANSAXLE
    2NZ-FE 1.9L SAE 75W-90 API GL-4 or GL-5
    1ZR-FE 2.4L SAE 75W Toyota's Gear Oil LV or equivalent. API Grade is only GL-4
    2C 2.5L SAE 75W-90 API GL-4 or GL-5
    (Page 285)


    GEAR OIL FOR AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE
    Fluid Capacity 6.4L
    Fluid type Toyota ATF WS
    (Page 286)



    MY TECHNICAL SUGGESTION FOR CHOICE OF ENGINE OIL (its not in the manual though. lol)

    Please DO NOT be panic to find only the SL or SM grade engine oils because manual says so. Plz don't. Instead, try to choose SN Grade oils (which is latest standard) and more importantly already covers all the characteristics & properties of previous grades.
    Example: SM grade oil surely has the properties of SL, SG, SH, SJ, grades (the older ones, but it will not meet SN standards). Hence if you will choose SN, then it will automatically be having properties/characteristics of SM, SL, SG, SH grades plus the new ones which makes is SN.
    Hope clear.
    self edit. thanks.

  17. #17
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    GoodMan7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,407
    Follows
    8
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by faadi.k View Post
    Next time I change my car I'll 1st make sure it has got the manual with it..
    @GoodMan7, which oil would u use, had u been in my shoes!!
    If I've XLI 2007, then frankly I'll go for GL-5.
    Because last evening I read about some properties of GL-4 & GL-5. Ofcoarse there is a difference, but they clearly mentioned that GL-5 gear oil can be used in "all type of transmissions" (it means Manual, automatic and even CVT too). Its not mentioned clearly, but I can take photo of that if you really want that.
    No Guts, No Glory.

  18. #18
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    GoodMan7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,407
    Follows
    8
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by talhawaleed View Post
    self edit. thanks.
    Pardon me. I didn't get it the means of "self edit".
    Actually I copied the same from Corolla's manual and still have it.
    No Guts, No Glory.

  19. #19
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    talhawaleed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    1,812
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoodMan7 View Post
    Pardon me. I didn't get it the means of "self edit".
    Actually I copied the same from Corolla's manual and still have it.
    well actually, i had a question related to its model as xli 02-08 has a same 2nf-fe engine as 09-13 corolla but both of them has huge difference like 02-08 is a plain engine whereas 09-13 is a vvt- engine. so model no was not mentioned but later i edited the post and deleted my original question.

  20. #20
    PakWheeler Follow
    mianaasim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    264
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Some more details regarding difference between GL-4 and GL-5?

    Sent from my ROCKET using PW Forums mobile app

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •