Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Advice Needed: Toyota Corolla 2009 head valves

Hi all,

I am having Toyota Corolla GLi model 2010 80k KM done. The car is well maintained (oil and all other fluids replaced regularly) and in all genuine condition except that CNG has been installed in it at 30k KMs. The consumption and performance on CNG was poor in past and RPM used to fluctuate on CNG (sometimes drops to 0) but it has been fixed by mechanic by adjusting tappets gap and since then all is working well (average on petrol is 13 kmpl and around 140-150 per CNG cylinder).

All i have to discuss is that rattling noise of tappets due to gaps is very annoying and as per mechanic i have to go for valves replacement in order to get it fixed permanently with default value. Please suggest whether i should get the new valves installed (pros and cons if any) and if so please suggest any good mechanic / Kharadia in LHR.

Thanks in advance.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the new engines have very hard valve seats which dont wear out that quick. I read that you claim your mechanic adjusted the tappets, If that was done by "mechanic removing the head and shipping it to lathe shop" then the shop ground the valve stem tips and screwed them up.

The tappet gaps are set by replacing the "lifters" - toyota make 11 different sizes of these lifters. Setting the tappets is a bit expensive business on these new engines.

For new valves - buy them from a toyota parts supplier for replacements or from the dealership/showroom for genuine toyota items.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Edit post-
    Contact a 3s dealership and follow Xulfiqar's directions... i think there was a different head on the cng fitted 2nz-fe's

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Advice Needed: Toyota Corolla 2009 head valves - toyota corolla 2009 3677344

I think this is the engine, but I heard from someone that this engine dosen't require tappet adjustment, and valves dosen't tear off that early.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

you heard wrong, the tappet gaps are adjusted - but at about 60,000 kms (they are pretty much in spec even then). To adjust the gaps, the cams are removed and the whole lifter is swapped out for a different item (toyota sell different size lifters for this purpose).

btw the rad cap is loose in this picture, will result in overheat.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thnx Zulfiqar and ustaad_007 for your reply.

I am still confused what should i do...either valves needed to be replaced or tappets adjustment is required once again. (As per local mechanic RPM will not be stable on CNG if tappets are re-adjusted to default value).

If i go for valves replacement what would be its cost in LHR and does it will be considered as whole head overhaul?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

these new engines have quite good valve quality and excellent cooling too, unless the valve margin is completely shot or the seats are fully pounded in (very unlikely) - all you would need is a good old fashioned valve job which is not very hard, I have only seen valve stems go bad in engines that were purely run on CNG (overheated valves)

ask for rates to verify in your city. Call up a few parts shops.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    these new engines have quite good valve quality and excellent cooling too, unless the valve margin is completely shot or the seats are fully pounded in (very unlikely) - all you would need is a good old fashioned valve job which is not very hard, I have only seen valve stems go bad in engines that were purely run on CNG (overheated valves)

ask for rates to verify in your city. Call up a few parts shops.
    Respected sir zulfiqar,i hope you are well.i own a ford cortina running in a 4k engine with 4speed floor shift the cars suspention is orignal.i am looking forward to get its ball joints and rack endds changed its doesnt have the modren steringg assembly will i be able to get itts parts the car behaves weird it has ply in steering and makes thug sound on bumps ?also i have got a new clutch set for it the car eats away cluth very often what could be the problem?i need advise would i be able to find parts its for cortina mark 1 1966 the car orignally had 1500 cc engine changed bu its previous owner changed it to 4k

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Poster sorry for highjacking as i get answer i shall delete my post