Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By silentassassin1
  • 1 Post By silentassassin1
  • 1 Post By Mirza967
  • 1 Post By ahmed2396
  • 1 Post By AmeerUsman
  • 2 Post By Thinking
  • 1 Post By Mirza967
  • 1 Post By saboor73

Thread: Altis 1.8 (1zz) to 1.5 (1NZ) swap (Mileage Issue)

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    AutoD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Altis 1.8 (1zz) to 1.5 (1NZ) swap (Mileage Issue)

    I have recently done an engine swap of my corolla altis 2008 engine swap from 1ZZ to 1NZ. The overall swap is a success and there is not at all any issue other than the mileage.

    -1ZZ 1800CC used to give me 168km (city) and 230km (motorway) on full CNG tank (the cylinder is large one). And surprisingly 1NZ is giving me 100 (city) and 150 (motorway) maximum. Nothing has been changed except for engine and wiring harness. The alternator and power pump is from 1NZ but the A/C compressor is same from 1ZZ.

    I was expecting a mileage from 1NZ to be around 200km (City) and 280km (highway) approx but this is not even close to that of 1800cc.

    The petrol mileage as well is not good.

    What could be the issue?? could it be due to some sensor issue or the air blockage issue due to cng conversion or something else that is restricting such vvti not working or not connected to the ECU (may be).

    Do let me know what could be the issue??? Everything else has been working fine no issues with the engine rpm dropping or anything.

  2. #2
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    silentassassin1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Gujranwala
    Posts
    4,186
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Body to power ratio possibly.

    Sent from my AREX V7S using PW Forums mobile app

  3. #3
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    silentassassin1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Gujranwala
    Posts
    4,186
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Also what was the condition of 1nzfe? Did u get it properly tuned.etc?

    Sent from my AREX V7S using PW Forums mobile app

  4. #4
    PakWheeler Follow
    Mirza967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    23
    Posts
    242
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AutoD View Post
    I have recently done an engine swap of my corolla altis 2008 engine swap from 1ZZ to 1NZ. The overall swap is a success and there is not at all any issue other than the mileage.

    -1ZZ 1800CC used to give me 168km (city) and 230km (motorway) on full CNG tank (the cylinder is large one). And surprisingly 1NZ is giving me 100 (city) and 150 (motorway) maximum. Nothing has been changed except for engine and wiring harness. The alternator and power pump is from 1NZ but the A/C compressor is same from 1ZZ.

    I was expecting a mileage from 1NZ to be around 200km (City) and 280km (highway) approx but this is not even close to that of 1800cc.

    The petrol mileage as well is not good.

    What could be the issue?? could it be due to some sensor issue or the air blockage issue due to cng conversion or something else that is restricting such vvti not working or not connected to the ECU (may be).

    Do let me know what could be the issue??? Everything else has been working fine no issues with the engine rpm dropping or anything.
    have u scanned it??? condition of MAF sensor and oxygen sensor...normally old oxygen sensors do like this on petrol....moreover 1zz is advanced and modern than this 1nz so power to weight ratio can be a factor as well.....bdw how did u manage to kill 1zz engine.....that thing wears like blacksmith,s anvil.

  5. #5
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    ahmed2396's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,321
    Follows
    5
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    2
    Good Answers
    7

    Default

    1ZZ is much better engine than 1NZ, why did you swap it?
    Your ego is writing cheques, your body can't cash.

  6. #6
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    AmeerUsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,519
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Power to weight ratio is not an issue bcoz same engine is there in Japanese Corolla X and AXIO. All of these cars have approx same weight. There must be some issue with wiring or sensors.

  7. #7
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Thinking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,300
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    2
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    probably oxygen or air fuel ratio sensor issue in the new engine. also verify the condition of new engine.

    also since these engines are programmed to continuesly adjust timing of the car (VTI or VVTI) based upon air fuel ratio so once run on gas this function is disabled/bypassed and they are tuned on a standard specification. please verify the tuning as well.

  8. #8
    PakWheeler Follow
    Mirza967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    23
    Posts
    242
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AutoD View Post
    I have recently done an engine swap of my corolla altis 2008 engine swap from 1ZZ to 1NZ. The overall swap is a success and there is not at all any issue other than the mileage.

    -1ZZ 1800CC used to give me 168km (city) and 230km (motorway) on full CNG tank (the cylinder is large one). And surprisingly 1NZ is giving me 100 (city) and 150 (motorway) maximum. Nothing has been changed except for engine and wiring harness. The alternator and power pump is from 1NZ but the A/C compressor is same from 1ZZ.

    I was expecting a mileage from 1NZ to be around 200km (City) and 280km (highway) approx but this is not even close to that of 1800cc.

    The petrol mileage as well is not good.

    What could be the issue?? could it be due to some sensor issue or the air blockage issue due to cng conversion or something else that is restricting such vvti not working or not connected to the ECU (may be).

    Do let me know what could be the issue??? Everything else has been working fine no issues with the engine rpm dropping or anything.
    is this having SIS cng kit or normal one......coz i have seen many altis with SIS kit

  9. #9
    PakWheeler Follow
    AutoD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Body to power ratio is best match, as we can see 1nz used in prius, axio, corolla X etc. body to weight is not an issue!

  10. #10
    PakWheeler Follow
    AutoD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silentassassin1 View Post
    Also what was the condition of 1nzfe? Did u get it properly tuned.etc?

    Sent from my AREX V7S using PW Forums mobile app
    Condition of 1nz was best as I took it from a body cut !! it was only 40k used !

  11. #11
    PakWheeler Follow
    AutoD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirza967 View Post
    have u scanned it??? condition of MAF sensor and oxygen sensor...normally old oxygen sensors do like this on petrol....moreover 1zz is advanced and modern than this 1nz so power to weight ratio can be a factor as well.....bdw how did u manage to kill 1zz engine.....that thing wears like blacksmith,s anvil.
    Oxygen sensor might be the issue, but it would have resulted in engine viberations or unstable rpms, which in my case is nothing but the mileage.
    Power to weight ratio is not an issue as feilder is more heavier than rest of corollas, but gives a pretty decent mileage.
    1ZZ, if u google it, is known as oil drinker. It starts to drink oil, as that engine had some issue with the piston and rings oil circulation. And as compared to 1NZ, 1ZZ has been discontinued and is now replaced by 2ZR in recent models. 1NZ has been in production since 1998 and is currently being used widely in toyotas, even in hybrids. The main reason being mileage, which i am still not getting !! sigh....

  12. #12
    PakWheeler Follow
    AutoD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedraja1996 View Post
    1ZZ is much better engine than 1NZ, why did you swap it?
    google 1ZZ engine oil issue and u will get the answer.

  13. #13
    PakWheeler Follow
    AutoD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thinking View Post
    probably oxygen or air fuel ratio sensor issue in the new engine. also verify the condition of new engine.

    also since these engines are programmed to continuesly adjust timing of the car (VTI or VVTI) based upon air fuel ratio so once run on gas this function is disabled/bypassed and they are tuned on a standard specification. please verify the tuning as well.
    I think if there was some issue withthe oxygen sensor or fuel sensor the engine would be vibrating and shivering but the engine is smooth and the power is up to the mark.
    VVTI is never bypassed in CNG. It has nothing to do with the cng. VVTI just varies the speed of the valves....

  14. #14
    PakWheeler Follow
    AutoD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirza967 View Post
    is this having SIS cng kit or normal one......coz i have seen many altis with SIS kit
    Original Landirenzo KIT with Original Landirenzo Advancer. Got it checked from Landirenzo too.

  15. #15
    PakWheeler Follow
    Mirza967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    23
    Posts
    242
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AutoD View Post
    Original Landirenzo KIT with Original Landirenzo Advancer. Got it checked from Landirenzo too.
    scan it otherwise the only thing left is the stuck brakes or something related to axles.....otherwise this engine's injectors clog up easily so clean them.....once u check the oxygen sensor etc....the problem will be clear.....is thermostat installed,fan auto and 5w-40 oil used and coolant lines to cng kit and TB are present??? update this.....if not then rectify them.

  16. #16
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    ahmed2396's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,321
    Follows
    5
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    2
    Good Answers
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AutoD View Post
    google 1ZZ engine oil issue and u will get the answer.
    I have used 1ZZ for quite a long time, i never faced oil consumption issue on it some early 1zz had this issue or sometimes it would be just a bad pcv valve.
    Your ego is writing cheques, your body can't cash.

  17. #17
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    saboor73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    10,545
    Follows
    25
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    349 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    6
    Best Answers
    2
    Good Answers
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AutoD View Post
    google 1ZZ engine oil issue and u will get the answer.
    That's due too clogged oil galleries this issue is present in 1nzfe and 2nzfe as well

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •