Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Cholistan Rally 2010 experience

(Pinks) MOD EDIT:
    Cholistan Experience video

The video is 30 mins

Dear Friends,

We had a splendid trip to Cholistan this year. Its was our first time being a rally participant. The atmosphere was charged and so were NN and myself. NN drove his LC 100 series whereas i was in Pajero 2.5 TDi. Both were running stock with roll cages being installed as a mandatory requirement. Navigators were; Pink Panther and Fishak and ground support and flag off was done by Laparwah. Thanks guys for making this event a success.

From the very begining it was decided that we would not be competing for the podium but would focus on endurance. The intention was to finish the rally in one piece and in peace and this is exactly what we did.

Will be posting pics and videos as we move along....

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience - 40899

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -41974

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience - 40901

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience - 46147attach

more videos all in good time

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    24 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Cholistan Rally 2010 experience - 157800

Excellent find. congratulations

Just need sand bags at back for traction though
    Keep a cool head and wear seatbelts!

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by spectra View Post
    Excellent find. congratulations

Just need sand bags at back for traction though
    Thnx,...... yes definitely need some weight at the back to improve traction........sand bags have already been suggested.......though best suggestion so far........ get long Harley Chopper style handlebars, and with pedals modifications I should sit myself right out at the back, that should provide plenty weight for traction

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thnx,...... yes definitely need some weight at the back to improve traction........sand bags have already been suggested.......though best suggestion so far........ get long Harley Chopper style handlebars, and with pedals modifications I should sit myself right out at the back, that should provide plenty weight for traction
    nn, jokes aside I think your ride could use some serious shock therapy! I know that leaf springs get a lot of flack these days, but it is important to note that some of the best mid-level racing platforms have leaf springs at the back. These include the Vigo (of Pakistan rally fame) and the XJ Cherokee (US Jeepspeed competitions).

Not an expert on shocks, but keeping budget in mind would recommend a set of Bilstein 5150s at the back to start with. These can easily be hand carried by someone coming in from the states.... This one is approved by Pirate 4x4 (http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/pr...s/bilstein5150), Ustad Saidhi and my Dubai rally friends.
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience - 157800
    @NN, mabrook brother! It will be good to see sitting at the right side Sure could be a mean rally machine. Please don't do anything permanent for weight at the back.

Best of luck.

MMC
    I will miss her, that RKR. She will always be the one that got away.
    But, life goes on. From RKR to MMC. 4x4 Engaged? Team Unimog, Pakistan

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by laparwah View Post
    thanks bro welcome to the world of Gen 1 , u now a got a lovely machine , Mabrook
    Thanks brother, I am working on subtle fixes to the looks. Not ready yet to get rid of the diesel engine, but when I do, I'll be calling you a lot about the 6G72!

MMC

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    nn, jokes aside I think your ride could use some serious shock therapy! I know that leaf springs get a lot of flack these days, but it is important to note that some of the best mid-level racing platforms have leaf springs at the back. These include the Vigo (of Pakistan rally fame) and the XJ Cherokee (US Jeepspeed competitions).

Not an expert on shocks, but keeping budget in mind would recommend a set of Bilstein 5150s at the back to start with. These can easily be hand carried by someone coming in from the states.... This one is approved by Pirate 4x4 (Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading website in the world.), Ustad Saidhi and my Dubai rally friends.
    @SK, I have nothing against leaf springs as such, my 1st gen Pajero Turbo Wagon had leaf springs at back and still had such sweet ride! Shock therapy may need to be considered in the future only. Currently very stiff / bouncy ride (mainly at the rear end!) and lack of rear traction is the main issue. The truck is rated at 1.15ton weight carrying capacity on rear bed, hence the hard ride. Handling is pretty decent overall, still getting used to large turning circle, courtesy solid axle! Solution to current problem is probably quite simple, remove one rear leaf spring atleast (out of 8) and than add approx 300+ kg in whichever form near the rear end to improve rear axle traction. Volaaa.....n we are done, or at atleast i think so. It may be trial n error with removing leafsprings and weight addition, but maximum I would remove would be 2 leafsprings.

When Jahangir n I went on pickup to Kalam, there we did give lift to various people n families (not entirely in selfishness!). At one stage we had about 8-9 people on board and ride was so much better, and also we did not need to engage 4x4 as often as rear traction was so much better! Those 4-5 km journey was the best of the whole trip . i.e offraod section!

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by raohamid View Post
    @NN, mabrook brother! It will be good to see sitting at the right side Sure could be a mean rally machine. Please don't do anything permanent for weight at the back.

Best of luck.

MMC
    Thnx Rao..........being on the wrong side has its own......

Don't know how it will do in long rallys? Will require lots of work, also don't think this has enough grunt in current state. It had to work hard to beat Asad's Tiger D-4d 3.0 on the motorway (200bhp vs 165bhp, torque 350nm vs 340nm, figures from internet). The TLC did not break sweat doing the same . To be fair, the Nissan carburetter was not 100% though and its lot less aerodynamic compared to Tiger n TLC. Above 150 the howling noises was pretty loud

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thnx Rao..........being on the wrong side has its own......

Don't know how it will do in long rallys? Will require lots of work, also don't think this has enough grunt in current state. It had to work hard to beat Asad's Tiger D-4d 3.0 on the motorway (200bhp vs 165bhp, torque 350nm vs 340nm, figures from internet). The TLC did not break sweat doing the same . To be fair, the Nissan carburetter was not 100% though and its lot less aerodynamic compared to Tiger n TLC. Above 150 the howling noises was pretty loud
    nn,
    I probably am gonna start sounding sick around here if I start talking about diffs again, but anyways....

Your Datsun pickup oh sorry Nissan Patrol possibly (and hopefully) has a lower ratio than the Tiger (the D4D Vigo runs a speedy 3.7 from what I understand) and your TLC (which would be a 3.7 or 4.1). The loud noises at 150kmph also point towards lower ratio diffs but I could be wrong here.....

If the above is correct, then the Nissan can comfortably run taller tyres for which its gearing will be better suited, even in rally situations. One thing you need to be clear is whether you wanna set up the car for rally or for offroad, because they are both obviously very different disciplines....either way taller and possibly bigger tires are the way to go in my view.
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

nn,
    I probably am gonna start sounding sick around here if I start talking about diffs again, but anyways....

Your Datsun pickup oh sorry Nissan Patrol possibly (and hopefully) has a lower ratio than the Tiger (the D4D Vigo runs a speedy 3.7 from what I understand) and your TLC (which would be a 3.7 or 4.1). The loud noises at 150kmph also point towards lower ratio diffs but I could be wrong here.....

If the above is correct, then the Nissan can comfortably run taller tyres for which its gearing will be better suited, even in rally situations. One thing you need to be clear is whether you wanna set up the car for rally or for offroad, because they are both obviously very different disciplines....either way taller and possibly bigger tires are the way to go in my view.
    Totally agree. Please do check your diff ratios. As for the harsh-ish ride, please try and change your shocks before you mess with the original leaf spring setup. Just today, I changed the MMC's shocks and the difference is night and day. Having kept the RKR also, I can assure you that shocks in the rear, on a load bearing vehicle.... will be stone. So, shocks, and 1 leaf spring removed I think will do wonders. On DD's Unimog, even though it is not leaf sprung, when we added weight in the shape of soaked sand bags, the ride just got so much better that we kept smiling at each other, so I agree with your assessment during your Kalam tour.

Do you really want to hit 150kms on your truck? What's the 100 series for? And please, how many times has your jaw dropped seeing a D4D truck offroad (not rallying)? I'm pretty sure the powertrain on your Nissan is great and bullet proof, after all, that's what Nissan 4x4s are best known for. Its a carb?!? Have you seen the 4x4 Engaged Hilux? I would vote for that look and utility. Show us some photos doc!

MMC

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Doctor Sb,,, Salaaam Arz Hae

Phaaji, whats the plan for Jhal, had the opportunity of talking to Ahsan the other day and came to know that he and some other friends from IJC are planning to compete in the rally.

Want to inform about two things, firstly, the rally seems to have been postponed till 12th of December, the news is not confirm yet but would have the confirmation in a day or two. Second is that though I will not be a running horse this time, Inshallah will be in Jhal for off roading, so, we can coordinate and travel together

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Just talked to Gohar and Bilal Bhai of Multan 4x4 Club, they also confirmed that the Jhal Magsi Rally has been rescheduled for 10th, 11th and 12th of December, 2010.

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saidhi View Post
    Doctor Sb,,, Salaaam Arz Hae

Phaaji, whats the plan for Jhal, had the opportunity of talking to Ahsan the other day and came to know that he and some other friends from IJC are planning to compete in the rally.

Want to inform about two things, firstly, the rally seems to have been postponed till 12th of December, the news is not confirm yet but would have the confirmation in a day or two. Second is that though I will not be a running horse this time, Inshallah will be in Jhal for off roading, so, we can coordinate and travel together
    Wasalam, thnx for the update. No clear planning for participation for Jhal yet, may come just for moral support. Will be discussing with others over the next few days. Once something definite is planned we can definitely coordinate.

Just for general info, what kind of terrain is Jhal, sand only, or sand and mix rougher stuff.

What are you planning to take to Jhal for Off-roading? Landy or Evo or both?

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

...................(the D4D Vigo runs a speedy 3.7 from what I understand) and your TLC (which would be a 3.7 or 4.1). The loud noises at 150kmph also point towards lower ratio diffs but I could be wrong here.....

SK, TLC has 4.3 and NPP has either 4.11 or 4.375, (different markets have different version and I don't know which one is mine!)

Loud noises above 150, I was talking about wind roar / howling, not noisy engine or drivetrain. Tyre are already 32" (235/85R16), so they aren't small. Did try to find 33s" (285/75R16) without luck. Wasn't keen on buying used / older tyres, as sooner or later I will end up doing some high speeds runs and would not want to risk any high speed blowouts. If you find 5 good 285/75R16s or the much rarer 315/70R16s (both around 33"), I would definitely like to have a look at them!

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by raohamid View Post
    .................Do you really want to hit 150kms on your truck? What's the 100 series for? And please, how many times has your jaw dropped seeing a D4D truck offroad (not rallying)? I'm pretty sure the powertrain on your Nissan is great and bullet proof, after all, that's what Nissan 4x4s are best known for. Its a carb?!? .............MMC
    Rao, Yes its a Carb. And reason for mentioning high speed was for occasional rally consideration, because, its probably not going to be phenominal in IJC style offroading because of its humangous size with long rear overhang, and rear traction issues.

Despite all, I am actually quite enjoying it as my daily drive (including school runs) here in Islamabad during the last 3 weeks or so . Mind you, its drinking habits are worse than TLC .

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Wasalam, thnx for the update. No clear planning for participation for Jhal yet, may come just for moral support. Will be discussing with others over the next few days. Once something definite is planned we can definitely coordinate.

Just for general info, what kind of terrain is Jhal, sand only, or sand and mix rougher stuff.

What are you planning to take to Jhal for Off-roading? Landy or Evo or both?
    Jhal is one track you get all. They change it a bit every year but last year we had initial 40 odd kms of stone track, then the Nadi area of about 15 kms, which was much softer and deeper sand than Cholistan. After Nadi came the plain dusty lands, around 95 to 100 kms. Later entered the Mulla river section which was about 45 kms of stone track along with the river crossing, 2 to 3 feet of water spread over 500 meters before the final 7/8 kms of dust track just before the finish.

Inshallah Defender is definitely going to Jhal but I am not really sure about Evo, reason being that Hi Octane for Evo alone would cost around 50,000. This in addition to Diesel for Defender and other associated costs, may cross the 6 figure mark, which would be too costly especially if I am not competing, so i am still double minded.

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -159898

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience - 159898

sticker is looking good praa jii

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by laparwah View Post
    sticker is looking good praa jii
    Thnx, its all desert devils effort!

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up Thnx spidy n Suhaib

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -161500 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -161501 Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -161502

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Will he do it again in "Jhal" next month?

Cholistan Rally 2010 experience -162767

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

User Tag List