Islamabad Jeep Club (IJC) and 4x4Engaged? organised a 4 day trip to the Swat Valley on 2,3,4 and 5 September 2010. With this trip the two clubs were successfully extend their ongoing flood relief activities to the Swat area. Life in the Swat valley has been severely affected by the recent Pakistan floods which have resulted in huge loss of lives, tremendous damage to property and severely affected the livelihood of the entire region.
Overview of Activities:
- Distribution of over 180 ration packages to residents of Bashigram (Upper Swat) which has been cut off. The distribution was done in Nawai Killay which is 25km North of Mingora City.
- Distribution of over 65 ration packages at an extremely remote location 18 kms from Khazakhela which can only be accessed by 4x4 vehicles after a very recent restoration of a damaged bridge across the Swat River
- Distribution of over 160 ration packages to residents of Kalam, a key tourist location in the Valley which is only accessible through helicopter. Residents had travelled 35km mainly by foot to reach the distribution point in NawaKillay
- Initial registration of over 350 families in the Swat region with temporary cards issued to them to assist in future activities.
- Assessment and initial survey of various flood affected areas to to identify short and long term needs and requirements.
- Follow up meeting with key IDPs from Project Hathian in Mingora to review the success of IJC's relief iniative during the 2010 Swat IDP Crisis
Swat - Ongoing Initiatives and Future Plans:
- Supply of food packages to deserving Kalam and Bashigram residents who could not be covered during this trip
- Assessment of potential areas of where IJC and 4x4Engaged? can assist the Swat residents in their rehabilitation
- Identification possible areas of collaboration with various organisations.
- All friends who have contributed to the IJC and 4x4Engaged flood relief efforts.
- All IJC and 4x4Engaged? members who took time off their busy schedules to make the trip a success
- Khalid Khan and Jaffar khan for their excellent organization of the distribution process at Nawakillay
- Rahmat Khan and family in Mingora for there hospitality and help during the trip. Asad Marwat's friends who provided lodging for the team.
- Pakistan Army and Police for their warmth and understanding at various checkpoints.
Trip Summary : Suhaib Kiani
Photography : Saqib Janjua and Suhaib Kiani
- Used Cars
- New Cars
- Cool Rides
- Post an Ad