Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Swat Flood Relief Initiative: IJC and 4x4Engaged? 2nd to 5th September 2010

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Swat Flood Relief Initiative: IJC and 4x4Engaged? 2nd to 5th September 2010

Dear Friends

Islamabad Jeep Club (IJC) and 4x4Engaged? organised a 4 day trip to the Swat Valley on 2,3,4 and 5 September 2010. With this trip the two clubs were successfully extend their ongoing flood relief activities to the Swat area. Life in the Swat valley has been severely affected by the recent Pakistan floods which have resulted in huge loss of lives, tremendous damage to property and severely affected the livelihood of the entire region.

Overview of Activities:
    - Distribution of over 180 ration packages to residents of Bashigram (Upper Swat) which has been cut off. The distribution was done in Nawai Killay which is 25km North of Mingora City.
    - Distribution of over 65 ration packages at an extremely remote location 18 kms from Khazakhela which can only be accessed by 4x4 vehicles after a very recent restoration of a damaged bridge across the Swat River
    - Distribution of over 160 ration packages to residents of Kalam, a key tourist location in the Valley which is only accessible through helicopter. Residents had travelled 35km mainly by foot to reach the distribution point in NawaKillay
    - Initial registration of over 350 families in the Swat region with temporary cards issued to them to assist in future activities.
    - Assessment and initial survey of various flood affected areas to to identify short and long term needs and requirements.
    - Follow up meeting with key IDPs from Project Hathian in Mingora to review the success of IJC's relief iniative during the 2010 Swat IDP Crisis

Swat - Ongoing Initiatives and Future Plans:
    - Supply of food packages to deserving Kalam and Bashigram residents who could not be covered during this trip
    - Assessment of potential areas of where IJC and 4x4Engaged? can assist the Swat residents in their rehabilitation
    - Identification possible areas of collaboration with various organisations.

Special Thanks:
    - All friends who have contributed to the IJC and 4x4Engaged flood relief efforts.
    - All IJC and 4x4Engaged? members who took time off their busy schedules to make the trip a success
    - Khalid Khan and Jaffar khan for their excellent organization of the distribution process at Nawakillay
    - Rahmat Khan and family in Mingora for there hospitality and help during the trip. Asad Marwat's friends who provided lodging for the team.
    - Pakistan Army and Police for their warmth and understanding at various checkpoints.

Swat Flood Relief Initiative: IJC and 4x4Engaged? 2nd to 5th September 2010 - filephp?id4485

Swat Flood Relief Initiative: IJC and 4x4Engaged? 2nd to 5th September 2010 - filephp?id4456

Trip Summary : Suhaib Kiani
    Photography : Saqib Janjua and Suhaib Kiani

"If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanx for sharing these nice pictures & Videos
    -It is always Man behind the Machine.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Arrow

Swat Flood Relief Initiative: IJC and 4x4Engaged? 2nd to 5th September 2010 - 47371 10150256804100618 734895617 14229288 5983919 n
    Swat Flood Relief Initiative: IJC and 4x4Engaged? 2nd to 5th September 2010 - 58659 10150256804290618 734895617 14229292 3842140 n
    Swat Flood Relief Initiative: IJC and 4x4Engaged? 2nd to 5th September 2010 - 58659 10150256804295618 734895617 14229293 4468368 n
    Swat Flood Relief Initiative: IJC and 4x4Engaged? 2nd to 5th September 2010 - 58659 10150256804305618 734895617 14229295 2003087 n
    Swat Flood Relief Initiative: IJC and 4x4Engaged? 2nd to 5th September 2010 - 58311 10150256804855618 734895617 14229306 2616678 n
    Swat Flood Relief Initiative: IJC and 4x4Engaged? 2nd to 5th September 2010 - 58311 10150256804865618 734895617 14229308 1080458 n
    Swat Flood Relief Initiative: IJC and 4x4Engaged? 2nd to 5th September 2010 - 58311 10150256804875618 734895617 14229310 3859800 n
    Swat Flood Relief Initiative: IJC and 4x4Engaged? 2nd to 5th September 2010 - 58311 10150256804880618 734895617 14229311 7693644 n
    Swat Flood Relief Initiative: IJC and 4x4Engaged? 2nd to 5th September 2010 - 58311 10150256804885618 734895617 14229312 2561126 n
    Swat Flood Relief Initiative: IJC and 4x4Engaged? 2nd to 5th September 2010 - 58311 10150256804890618 734895617 14229313 2617433 n
    What makes 4x4Engaged? special is to discover secret places others cannot reach! ✓

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Guys, great and noble work. The army men sure don't look too happy

Vehicles look in fine form and so do each of you.

RKR
    I will miss her, that RKR. She will always be the one that got away.
    But, life goes on. From RKR to MMC. 4x4 Engaged? Team Unimog, Pakistan

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Great Effort, and may Allah accept all this sacrifice, and help.
    It is heartening to see efforts at all possible levels.
    May Allah grant you the courage and the will to continue these activities.
    Ranger of the North---Didn't Get Any Speeding Ticket While I had the Unimog. Since I bought a Cruiser, I get a speeding ticket every now and then.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Visiting Mingora was a wonderful experience as we were welcomed by Rahmat Khan and his extended family who had been a part of Project Hathian. It was very comforting to be treated to a lavish iftar and dinner by the same people who only a year ago were depending on food provided by Project Hathian. In addition, on hearing their stories and experiences one could not help being moved....

The people in Nawakillay to whom we distributed the food packages were pretty well behaved and seemed genuinely thankful and happy at getting the packages....

We are looking at various ways of providing continued support to the Swat residents and looking at some sustainable contribution besides food assistance. Any information and suggestion in this regards would be greatly appreciated.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    Visiting Mingora was a wonderful experience as we were welcomed by Rahmat Khan and his extended family who had been a part of Project Hathian. It was very comforting to be treated to a lavish iftar and dinner by the same people who only a year ago were depending on food provided by Project Hathian. In addition, on hearing their stories and experiences one could not help being moved....

The people in Nawakillay to whom we distributed the food packages were pretty well behaved and seemed genuinely thankful and happy at getting the packages....

We are looking at various ways of providing continued support to the Swat residents and looking at some sustainable contribution besides food assistance. Any information and suggestion in this regards would be greatly appreciated.
    Assalam O Alaikum
    Sir, let me narrate two true stories: Both from the Earthquake of 2005.
    A friend of ours, May Allah Bless him, right on day 1 of the quake, took some tents to his village. His village had suffered great damage, with a niece of this friend of ours having embraced shahadat. He accommodated most of the ladies and children of his village in those few tents, and brought all the able-bodied men to the cities with him. He hired a few cheap, and large houses, accommodated the men there, and requested who-so-ever he knew to give work to those men, while he himself provided the rent to those houses. He strictly refused charity for them, in the form of money or free food, etc.he told his fellow villagers to work hard to earn a living. 3 years later, his village, in the region of Battal, one of the worst affected, was probably the first to have a fully recovered economy; with an intact ego for its proud inhabitants. My friend has not suffered any damage to his economy, probably he is richer than ever!

In the same earthquake, a team of 'donors' (I practically hate this word), came from abroad: one of them was the president of Chamber of Commerce of a very wealthy nation. He asked me first hand, as to what we needed. He mentioned categorically that amount of money was not a concern. Although much in need, I told him, we did not need anything to feed our brothers and sisters. However, I told him, that if he wished to help, his country needs to establish some cottage industry or other forms of livelihood, and let the local people be trained, and let them earn something for themselves. And, I told him, very honestly, that Turning Our Brothers in to Beggers is not what we would like. The person was impressed, and promised to oblige. We never heard of him again.

So,..... I don't know what is the moral of the story. If you are looking for suggestions, it may be a good idea to select a brother or sister, and help him establish a business or something so he can fish for himself. This may be better in the long run. AS A GROUP, PROBABLY, WE COULD AFFORD BIGGER INDUSTRIES TO BE SET UP. But at the end of the day, of course this is only a suggestion: I don't know the impications-honest.
    Ranger of the North---Didn't Get Any Speeding Ticket While I had the Unimog. Since I bought a Cruiser, I get a speeding ticket every now and then.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

excellent trip.. wonderful comrades company and a conscious full of joy of helping our fellow country men in the time of their need in the way every participant could
    A wise monkey never monkies w/ another monkey's monkey!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger_ofthe_North View Post
    Assalam O Alaikum
    Sir, let me narrate two true stories: Both from the Earthquake of 2005.
    A friend of ours, May Allah Bless him, right on day 1 of the quake, took some tents to his village. His village had suffered great damage, with a niece of this friend of ours having embraced shahadat. He accommodated most of the ladies and children of his village in those few tents, and brought all the able-bodied men to the cities with him. He hired a few cheap, and large houses, accommodated the men there, and requested who-so-ever he knew to give work to those men, while he himself provided the rent to those houses. He strictly refused charity for them, in the form of money or free food, etc.he told his fellow villagers to work hard to earn a living. 3 years later, his village, in the region of Battal, one of the worst affected, was probably the first to have a fully recovered economy; with an intact ego for its proud inhabitants. My friend has not suffered any damage to his economy, probably he is richer than ever!

In the same earthquake, a team of 'donors' (I practically hate this word), came from abroad: one of them was the president of Chamber of Commerce of a very wealthy nation. He asked me first hand, as to what we needed. He mentioned categorically that amount of money was not a concern. Although much in need, I told him, we did not need anything to feed our brothers and sisters. However, I told him, that if he wished to help, his country needs to establish some cottage industry or other forms of livelihood, and let the local people be trained, and let them earn something for themselves. And, I told him, very honestly, that Turning Our Brothers in to Beggers is not what we would like. The person was impressed, and promised to oblige. We never heard of him again.

So,..... I don't know what is the moral of the story. If you are looking for suggestions, it may be a good idea to select a brother or sister, and help him establish a business or something so he can fish for himself. This may be better in the long run. AS A GROUP, PROBABLY, WE COULD AFFORD BIGGER INDUSTRIES TO BE SET UP. But at the end of the day, of course this is only a suggestion: I don't know the impications-honest.
    Doctor Sb.
    Many thanks for sharing your experiences. You suggestions are in line with the feelings we had during our Swat visit. We looked at the key local businesses which we could support which included fruits orchards, tree nurseries, trout fishing and hatcheries, gems and gemstones and principally
    tourism.

Of these, after the Swat visit and the IJC Summer Camp, I do strongly feel that the promotion of local tourism is something that we should and can look at as an online community. At this stage even if our efforts do not translate into big bucks for the locals, as our Malam Jabba visit tells us, even a small gesture can provide moral support for the locals to keep on doing what they are doing in the hope of things getting better.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

On a lighter note.. The truck in the pictures didnt have diff locks I guess..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by GlobeTrotter View Post
    On a lighter note.. The truck in the pictures didnt have diff locks I guess..
    Guess what! It didn't even have 4x4

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpanther View Post
    excellent trip.. wonderful comrades company and a conscious full of joy of helping our fellow country men in the time of their need in the way every participant could
    Swat Flood Relief Initiative IJC and 4x4Engaged? 2nd to 5th September 2010 -135015

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Agreed 100%

Doctor Sb.
    Many thanks for sharing your experiences. You suggestions are in line with the feelings we had during our Swat visit. We looked at the key local businesses which we could support which included fruits orchards, tree nurseries, trout fishing and hatcheries, gems and gemstones and principally
    tourism.

Of these, after the Swat visit and the IJC Summer Camp, I do strongly feel that the promotion of local tourism is something that we should and can look at as an online community. At this stage even if our efforts do not translate into big bucks for the locals, as our Malam Jabba visit tells us, even a small gesture can provide moral support for the locals to keep on doing what they are doing in the hope of things getting better.
    Sir, I am in total agreement. We support local tourism, and whatever else we can. Please also count me in for whatever you plan.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

IJC is planning to assist the local population in re-building bridges that have been washed away during the recent floods in Upper Swat. We have initiated groundwork on this and have received a positive response from the local population and the Army. Initial plan is to provide funds and support to re-build at least one bridge North of Kalam which would restore vital land-link to remote areas before the winter snow sets in. Will keep updating everyone on progress in this respect.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quite an initiative..... best of luck and you will find us right behind surporting for this great cause. Insha Allah

IJC is planning to assist the local population in re-building bridges that have been washed away during the recent floods in Upper Swat. We have initiated groundwork on this and have received a positive response from the local population and the Army. Initial plan is to provide funds and support to re-build at least one bridge North of Kalam which would restore vital land-link to remote areas before the winter snow sets in. Will keep updating everyone on progress in this respect.
    Still Play with Mogs... DeeMog 421.129 1986... http://www.youtube.com/user/DeeMog421
    http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4-clubs-off-roaders-suv/87109-team-unimog-punga-project

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default God bless you, sir

Kiani sb, a great initiative. Shall see you regarding this. Please keep us updated.
    Thanks a lot

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

beautiful...hats off to you all....