Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default BJ60 4x4 Help

Friends,

Please help me to fix 4x4 of my TLC60 - Problem is that when i engage 4x4, it creates lot of gears noise (even going straight) and i cant take u turn or an extreem turn with 4x4 engaged because when i turn the steering to almost half of the way (with 4x4 engaged), the rig get jammed and i hear a loud & swear click-clash noise coming from front suspension i guess.

I have already replaced all lubricants, leaf spring bushings, have replaced the 4x4 drive shaft too, along with all steering bushings etc.

Have already done complete hub service as well.

Thank you.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

jammed on turings?? Are you engaging 4x4 on road or offroad ?? 4x4 should only be engaged offroad not on tarmac with the vehicle u have.. doing so can break an axleor something!!

For grinding noises.. if the transfer is too weared out.. then you might need to partially overhaul that.. Are you based in Isb/Pindi ??
    75% of earth is covered by water... the rest by Jeep
    www.brokenknucklegarage.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks akif - yes it get jammed / sort of Jam locked and yes it feels like if i'll turn more and push the throttle, it will break the axle on turn.

I am doing it on smooth road - haven't tried it off road yet. Would the behavior be diff on and off road? is it?

You mean that Grinding noises are due to worn out front differential?

I am in Multan now a days.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

smooth or not, 4x4 in your vehicle shouldn't be engaged anywhere except on a surface where the tyres can lose traction.

Try sand for testing. Keep a backup vehicle

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

NO 4x4 on TARMAC/ROAD

your vehicle is not equipped with a Center Diff.. its not All time 4WD.. its part time 4WD and the 4x4 should only be engaged on suface with loose traction.

Take your ride to the nearest kacha area for testing
    75% of earth is covered by water... the rest by Jeep
    www.brokenknucklegarage.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

syncview - it means that this behavior is normal if i am doing it on tarmac?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Right guys - Thank you - will update you after a practical

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by machine View Post
    syncview - it means that this behavior is normal if i am doing it on tarmac?
    yes the behavior is normal, but it won't be anymore if you keep trying this stuff on road

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

syncview - cheers

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

4x4 can be engaged anywhere, loose ground or tarmac. The question is should you be running in 4x4 on tarmac. The answer is if you want additional traction or better steering then yes you can engage 4x4. its best if you are on slippery roads or roads with water or mud etc. ofcourse speed needs to be moderate in 4H so you don't over exert your engine. be very careful with diff locks if you have them. you need to know about its purpose and use before engaging them.

As for noises, i used to get similar kind of noises in my LC upon turning. problem turned out to be faulty hub locks. get your hub locks checked out, make sure they are engaging properly. are they manual or automatic? If auto check the motor and that its aligned properly to engage and disengage. you'll need a good jeep mechanic to verify this. It took me a few mechanics to get to the bottom of it. Also check your front godey there might be a broken bearing etc causing the noise
    I may get Lost But I don't get stuck!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Friends,

Please help me to fix 4x4 of my TLC60 - Problem is that when i engage 4x4, it creates lot of gears noise (even going straight) and i cant take u turn or an extreem turn with 4x4 engaged because when i turn the steering to almost half of the way (with 4x4 engaged), the rig get jammed and i hear a loud & swear click-clash noise coming from front suspension i guess.

I have already replaced all lubricants, leaf spring bushings, have replaced the 4x4 drive shaft too, along with all steering bushings etc.

Have already done complete hub service as well.

Thank you.
    My guess is that either the front differential is faulty or there is a panga in the transfer case....

As for engaging the 4x4 on tarmac, I think both Akif and Nomi are right in their views
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nomi1234 View Post
    4x4 can be engaged anywhere, loose ground or tarmac. The question is should you be running in 4x4 on tarmac. The answer is if you want additional traction or better steering then yes you can engage 4x4. its best if you are on slippery roads or roads with water or mud etc. ofcourse speed needs to be moderate in 4H so you don't over exert your engine. be very careful with diff locks if you have them. you need to know about its purpose and use before engaging them.

As for noises, i used to get similar kind of noises in my LC upon turning. problem turned out to be faulty hub locks. get your hub locks checked out, make sure they are engaging properly. are they manual or automatic? If auto check the motor and that its aligned properly to engage and disengage. you'll need a good jeep mechanic to verify this. It took me a few mechanics to get to the bottom of it. Also check your front godey there might be a broken bearing etc causing the noise
    Thanks Nomi - i have manual hub locks, your diagnosis seems to be logical to me regarding hub locks problem, as previously 4x4 was not operational from many years due to missing 4x4 drive shaft, and when i placed its drive shaft, i came to know that hub locks were wrongly placed and left loosen in hubs, and my mechanic fixed them up after complete hub servicing.

However, can you tell me that what could be the exact problem in hub locks as my mechanic is not an expert to 4x4s and its very hard to get a good 4x4 mechanic in Multan.

cheers

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    My guess is that either the front differential is faulty or there is a panga in the transfer case....

As for engaging the 4x4 on tarmac, I think both Akif and Nomi are right in their views

Thank you boss Please give it a second thought after reading my above reply to nomi.

I know that you can help me better and can explain every possible reason to it

Take care.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks Nomi - i have manual hub locks, your diagnosis seems to be logical to me regarding hub locks problem, as previously 4x4 was not operational from many years due to missing 4x4 drive shaft, and when i placed its drive shaft, i came to know that hub locks were wrongly placed and left loosen in hubs, and my mechanic fixed them up after complete hub servicing.

However, can you tell me that what could be the exact problem in hub locks as my mechanic is not an expert to 4x4s and its very hard to get a good 4x4 mechanic in Multan.

cheers
    I've seen this with auto hub locks but might also apply to manual. when you engage hubs the motor rotates and engages the tires with axle. in my LC's case the rotation of hub wasn't aligned properly and it wouldn't tie up snuggly which resulted it cracking sounds when i turned the wheels, they were pretty loud.
    At another occasion and with my Jeep, i faced the problem you mentioned with not being able to turn tires and it used to jam. that was due to broken bearings in the goda of one of the tires. the mechanic will open up the front tires and take out hub and get your godaas checked to make sure all the assemblies and bearings etc are sound. hope it helps
    I may get Lost But I don't get stuck!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This is only and only A "GODA/ AXLE" problem and nothing else. Weak axles result in noises while turning when the hubs r locked and 4X4 engaged. Not the issue of hubs. If there is some problem with any of the hubs it would not hold the axle properly and the 4X4 will not be engaged and nothing else. It does not have anything to do with any cracking noise on turns. Also, the diff has no relation with noise while turning. And lastly 4X4 can very much be used on road. In fact 4H is for good grip of vehicle on road movement.
    Only if the diffs have locks than they are not recommended to be used on roads as while turning both the wheels circulate differently and can damage the diff than.
    Pls get the work done through an expert mechanic and do put us wise on the outcome as it will be informative for all of us.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well the thing is that if you are getting funny noises while driving straight when you engage 4x4, all I can think of is that something is seriously wrong with the front hissa. Probably just the axle as Noman says, but you never know....

Or alternatively the transfer case may be busted ie. the box attached to the small 4x4 engage lever...though less likely I would think given how strong these things are. Not to say that BJ60 axles/diffs aren't strong hence my view that you should get prepared to throw some money at the baby....
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nomi1234 View Post
    I've seen this with auto hub locks but might also apply to manual. when you engage hubs the motor rotates and engages the tires with axle. in my LC's case the rotation of hub wasn't aligned properly and it wouldn't tie up snuggly which resulted it cracking sounds when i turned the wheels, they were pretty loud.
    At another occasion and with my Jeep, i faced the problem you mentioned with not being able to turn tires and it used to jam. that was due to broken bearings in the goda of one of the tires. the mechanic will open up the front tires and take out hub and get your godaas checked to make sure all the assemblies and bearings etc are sound. hope it helps

Thank you nomi - I'll get these checked.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by noman8ff View Post
    This is only and only A "GODA/ AXLE" problem and nothing else. Weak axles result in noises while turning when the hubs r locked and 4X4 engaged. Not the issue of hubs. If there is some problem with any of the hubs it would not hold the axle properly and the 4X4 will not be engaged and nothing else. It does not have anything to do with any cracking noise on turns. Also, the diff has no relation with noise while turning. And lastly 4X4 can very much be used on road. In fact 4H is for good grip of vehicle on road movement.
    Only if the diffs have locks than they are not recommended to be used on roads as while turning both the wheels circulate differently and can damage the diff than.
    Pls get the work done through an expert mechanic and do put us wise on the outcome as it will be informative for all of us.
    Thank you noman bhai - hope you are doing well. I'll get the axles checked on Sunday and will update you guys with outcome.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    Well the thing is that if you are getting funny noises while driving straight when you engage 4x4, all I can think of is that something is seriously wrong with the front hissa. Probably just the axle as Noman says, but you never know....

Or alternatively the transfer case may be busted ie. the box attached to the small 4x4 engage lever...though less likely I would think given how strong these things are. Not to say that BJ60 axles/diffs aren't strong hence my view that you should get prepared to throw some money at the baby....

Thank you Sir - You are right about front hissa as while going straight in speed with 4x4 engaged it creates roaring noise which get ups and down with weight on throttle.

I think transfer case is all ok as it engages and disengages 4x4 very sophisticatedly and there is no problem in transfer case.

Let me check its goda's and bearing for turning issues in 4x4.

I must thank you all for your support.

Cheers

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you Sir - You are right about front hissa as while going straight in speed with 4x4 engaged it creates roaring noise which get ups and down with weight on throttle.

I think transfer case is all ok as it engages and disengages 4x4 very sophisticatedly and there is no problem in transfer case.

Let me check its goda's and bearing for turning issues in 4x4.

I must thank you all for your support.

Cheers
    Machine,
    I was having the exact same problem with my Gen 1 Pajero. So I got all my axles, hissa, diffs checked. There was no problem with any of them. If you do not have this issue when your are in 2wd, chances are that your transfer box (4wd box) needs to be replaced. There is a chain inside the box that goes bad, as a result, the chain rails get play and start slipping. This fix is happening right now as we speak on my Pajero in G7 in Islamabad. I will find out more tonight, and update as soon as the transfer box is replaced. According to two mechanics I have shown my ride to, this is a common problem in aging 4wd vehicles.

Also, as others have mentioned, if your front diffs aren't locked, you can be in 4wd with no issues on tarmac. Also, if you are out and about on an offroad trip, and lose your rear axle, you can always switch to 4wd to bring your car home.

MMC
    I will miss her, that RKR. She will always be the one that got away.
    But, life goes on. From RKR to MMC. 4x4 Engaged? Team Unimog, Pakistan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List