I've been studying this thread with keen interest. Especially the bottom lines, with regards to engine output and performance.
Being a complete and utter layman, with little/no knowledge of the technical terms and jargon being used...I have this overpowering urge to turbocharge and intercool the 1HZ engine that's in the process of being bolted onto the Phantom. A few questions, if I may...
1. Could anyone quote ballpark figures for the increase in performance (hp and torque) that such a modification would entail?
2. What sort of decrease in fuel consumption averages (in general terms of percentage) is likely to come about?
3. What would be the ballpark figure for a turbocharger installation, and what additional equipment (gauges, sensors, switches) if any, would it entail?
4. What would be the ballpark figure for an intercooler installation, and what additional equipment (gauges, sensors, switches) if any, would it entail?
5. Most importantly (and perhaps this should be the FIRST query, rather than the last)...the FJ I'm rebuilding doesn't really need acceleration, or huge amounts of take-off speed, to my mind. With the 1HZ producing a respectable 129 bhp, and the (next benchmark) 1HD-T and 1HD-FTE producing +160 bhp...is it REALLY a practicable idea...or am I just playing around with figures that will ultimately just add to "bragging rights" on power/torque?
Inquisitive minds would like to know...