Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree369Likes

Thread: The Hi-Lex 'Kaikra' and Pajero Evolution 2JZGTE Builds!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Hi-Lex 'Kaikra' and Pajero Evolution 2JZGTE Builds!

Toyota Hilux LN65 - 1UZ-FE V8 Transplant:

Project HiLex Kaikra Build! -1221618

Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution - 2JZ GTE Twin Turbo Transplant:

Project HiLex Kaikra Build! -1221617

Owner: Qasim Saidhi
    Builders: Awan Brothers, Citi Sadar Road, Rawalpindi
    Advisors: Too many....
    Current Status: Read on and wish us luck....

"If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Top mount, front mount, big cooler, small cooler, bent pipe, straight pipe, boost pressure, oil pressure, oil temperature, water temperature, single turbo, twin turbo.... Sure seems to me like we were living a boring old life in the NA days

Good discussion above BTW! Lets keep it coming!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Seems like the Evo's motor is having trouble holding a cold idle... Is the ECU not powered through the MREL terminal? I had the same problem initially with my 1UZ until I rewired the ECU power circuit according to factory specs.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

that top mount intercooler is a serious compromise.. after a short test run it was already pretty hot to touch.. lost its effectiveness

the MAF is exact part no for the 2Jzgte.. the idling is shaky as ecu will learn and we also need slight tweaking of maf housing etc

Overall good swap.. clutch fan after tuning is just perfect

Sent from my GT-I9500 using PW Forums mobile app
    75% of earth is covered by water... the rest by Jeep
    www.brokenknucklegarage.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by akifjanjua View Post
    that top mount intercooler is a serious compromise.. after a short test run it was already pretty hot to touch.. lost its effectiveness

the MAF is exact part no for the 2Jzgte.. the idling is shaky as ecu will learn and we also need slight tweaking of maf housing etc

Overall good swap.. clutch fan after tuning is just perfect

Sent from my GT-I9500 using PW Forums mobile app
    Bhai loogo,,,, just don't write off the top mount intercooler as yet,,, at the moment it has no air scoop. Akif if you can touch the inter cooler with bare hands than surely its not hot yet. It is designed to be much hotter.

I am mainly against front mount intercooler because i cannot use water spray on it. During rally it will just choke with mud,,, so whatever we do,,, we will have a top mount intercooler with water spray and air scoop,,,, kindly end this positioning of intercooler argument till we test one with the above two.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by akifjanjua View Post
    But you aren't running any ductwork yet for the intercooler right? You'll probably need one of those Chinese eBay front mount intercooler kits. Something wide and low profile so as not to completely obstruct the radiator.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using PW Forums mobile app

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Just thinking out loud here,the key issue to be kept in mind here is that we are not talking street racing or rally racing (WRX type) here but desert racing where there are precious few examples of petrol turbos being deployed, successfully i.e.

There is a reason why a significant percentage of Baja vehicles finish the races either without the front fiber glass hood or missing the rear fenders. You can argue that our races are much shorter but the fact that they are just 2 hours affairs means that there is no pacing and no holding back right from the moment the flag drops. The bumps and whoops in Cholistan last year were also a game changer in terms of stress one can possibly induce on the car during our rallies....

Hence, the torsional stress on the frame and body of the vehicles during Cholistan or Jhal cannot be understated. In this particular case, maintaining the integrity of a front intercooler system mounted the body/frame with the engine sitting directly on the frame is a serious issue. The engine and intercooler will vibrate/bounce on different frequencies in the whoops and the pipes will come under severe stress one way or the other. Not saying that its impossible and that we cannot get it right, but its definitely more complicated than it sounds out here for us....

Also, after having driven the car, I cannot help but think that what is important is not how much peak BHP/torque the engine will produce, but firstly getting a consistent torque curve through the range and to some extent minimizing turbo lag. The rally driver has a gazillion things to worry about and its going to be quite an exercise also estimating/calculating how much torque he is making at a particular rev range while managing technical turns etc....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    Also, after having driven the car, I cannot help but think that what is important is not how much peak BHP/torque the engine will produce, but firstly getting a consistent torque curve through the range and to some extent minimizing turbo lag. The rally driver has a gazillion things to worry about and its going to be quite an exercise also estimating/calculating how much torque he is making at a particular rev range while managing technical turns etc....
    How bad is the turbo lag? Is it doing much under 3000 rpm when only turbo #1 is boosting?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Water / Air intercooler

I feel that a bunch of problems on the intercooling front may be solved using a water-to-air intercooling system. PWR makes the best in the world and they are the industry standard. I think most, if not all the OEMs, if they use these intercoolers, use PWR. I bought one for a project a couple of years ago, and it looks so good you want to hang it in your office as a showpiece.

The HiLex Kaikra and Pajero Evolution 2JZGTE Builds! -1258131

They ARE expensive though, the one I bought cost AUD 435. I have however, a list of links below that have these kits at a relatively saner price level. In the kit, you get the intercooler barrel, fittings, pump, radiator and fan. For around 400USD, you can have the whole kit ready to be plugged in.

Water to Air Intercooler Kits
    TYPE 2 Water to Air Intercooler Kit - Basic

Water/air kits -Frozenboost.com

Good thing about this system is that you can fit the radiator anywhere. Front of the engine, in the rear cargo area (with a vent from a side woindow and exit rearwards) or on the roof.
    Wise men think alike and fools never disagree...

A siren is just a woman's face on the body of a Tuna...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

A more cost effective option would be to get hold of a 3S-GTE (ST205) OEM Water-Air Intercooler , as loads of people ditch these in favor of front mounted ones , not that hard to acquire and get operationally working.The HiLex Kaikra and Pajero Evolution 2JZGTE Builds! -1258153

Plus the VW rally dakar team runs their VW Touareg in the PARIS-DAKAR RALLY with a Front mount intercooler , you think your vehicle will take more abuse in a two hour sprint than a VW doing the Dakar rally. (flawless logic) The HiLex Kaikra and Pajero Evolution 2JZGTE Builds! -1258154
    The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bhaiyon, agree with a lot of things being said about the merits/demerits of front mount/ top mount/thallay mount/ utthay mount setups... you all are correct in your own right....BUT listen to the rally champ. He has a point when he says he wants it top mounted... some of us have seen the evo land on its nose more than a couple of times on whoops ... and if anything, with the new power plant the dynamics of the vehicle are going to be different due to the slight difference in weight distribution... we all agreed once the engine was put in that the evo will be slightly nose heavy vs the original setup... it doesn't need to be insanely high HP/lbft at this point... knowing Qasim he will be the first guy to put afterburners on this thing once the new setup proves reliable ... as for Dakar well, Robbie Gordon landed his hummer on its nose earlier this year.... and guess what! his radiators leaked... have seen it in our rallies too... heck! SK shared a shot of a class 10 buggy finishing on the podium with 3 wheels at a recent US race... in the end... its the man and his machine i.e. the cooler goes on "top"
    More Power!!! More power....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep_junkie View Post
    How bad is the turbo lag? Is it doing much under 3000 rpm when only turbo #1 is boosting?

I cannot speak to how good or bad either the turbo lag currently is. Need to do some more testing with the people who have more experience of 2JZ GTEs and can pass some sort of verdict on how things stand....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

[QUOTE=saadzae92;4033628]....you think your vehicle will take more abuse in a two hour sprint than a VW doing the Dakar rally. (flawless logic) /QUOTE]

All good points @saadzae92 and your input is very valuable. But my point is a bit counter intuitive, and yes! The Dakar driver is thinking of at least making it through the 450 km stage and making it through the 250km liaison to the pit at night. The Baja driver has to pace it out for the 1600 kms and not get unnecessarily over excited despite 24-36 inces of travel. The competitive Pakistan rally driver only thinks about making it 200kms to the finish. He does not care if his car comes apart while driving home or if he has to buy a new car at the next rally, its only the two hour lifetime he is interested in. So yes indeed, with the endurance element largely missing and considering limitations of the level of equipment, the Pakistan rally car can actually see comparable abuse per hour (not to talk of per dollar) as a Dakar or a Baja car. In my humble opinion i.e.

PS: Case in point - While the Baja car has to lose a wheel to finish on three wheels, as long as they can help it, our drivers don't bother to stop if they have a flat tire

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saadzae92 View Post
    A more cost effective option would be to get hold of a 3S-GTE (ST205) OEM Water-Air Intercooler , as loads of people ditch these in favor of front mounted ones , not that hard to acquire and get operationally working.The HiLex Kaikra and Pajero Evolution 2JZGTE Builds! -1258153

Plus the VW rally dakar team runs their VW Touareg in the PARIS-DAKAR RALLY with a Front mount intercooler , you think your vehicle will take more abuse in a two hour sprint than a VW doing the Dakar rally. (flawless logic) The HiLex Kaikra and Pajero Evolution 2JZGTE Builds! -1258154
    Concerning the one out of the 3SGTE, if it was insufficient to hold mods above the factory 255ps, I don't see how it would manage 326 ps factory from a 2JZGTE. Also, the pressure loss would be higher since it's designed for a lower airflow.

As for the Touareg, apples to oranges my friend. The Touareg is a tube-framed vehicle with a front-mid mounted engine with a lot of space in front of the engine. You can put in an FMIC and still not worry about cooling, nor about punching a hole in it due to some errant rock. The Evo unfortunately doesn't have that kind of space in the front. Hence the FMIC (if there would've been one) would be hung out in front of everything and be susceptible to quite a lot of damage.
    Wise men think alike and fools never disagree...

A siren is just a woman's face on the body of a Tuna...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Rule #1. The Boss is always right.

Rule #2. If the Boss in wrong, see Rule #1.

-

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saadzae92 View Post

Most Likely the intercooler is in front but two more things needs to be noted,,, firstly the inverted scoop on bonnett, there might be a cooler on top of the engine.

Rally vehicles run with Power Steering cooler, Engine oil cooler and coolers for gear and diff oils. All these need to be fixed securely so the biggest cooler ie the engine radiator is moved to the back. Check the scoop on top of the windscreen,,, this is for the engine radiators which, in many rally vehicles, are positioned behind the driver/co-driver compartment. These radiators are huge, almost as wide as the vehicle. Two smaller scoops on the sides of the roof is for the ventilation of the driver compartment

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by yaserag View Post
    Bhaiyon, agree with a lot of things being said about the merits/demerits of front mount/ top mount/thallay mount/ utthay mount setups... you all are correct in your own right....BUT listen to the rally champ. He has a point when he says he wants it top mounted... some of us have seen the evo land on its nose more than a couple of times on whoops ... and if anything, with the new power plant the dynamics of the vehicle are going to be different due to the slight difference in weight distribution... we all agreed once the engine was put in that the evo will be slightly nose heavy vs the original setup... it doesn't need to be insanely high HP/lbft at this point... knowing Qasim he will be the first guy to put afterburners on this thing once the new setup proves reliable ... as for Dakar well, Robbie Gordon landed his hummer on its nose earlier this year.... and guess what! his radiators leaked... have seen it in our rallies too... heck! SK shared a shot of a class 10 buggy finishing on the podium with 3 wheels at a recent US race... in the end... its the man and his machine i.e. the cooler goes on "top"
    Nice entry Judge Sahib,,,,

Afterburners,,,,, hmmm,,,,, good idea

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The way things are moving on Evo transplant, thought I should play safe and fine tune Nissan. Am already sacrificing Nooriabad and Mithi,,, don't want to lose Jhal and Cholistan too

This babe is going to workshop tomorrow for new 100 liter gasoline fuel tank to replace the old rusted 90 liter tank and Stage 2 Clutch Set
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Mashallah Nissan is looking good. I am sure the chaps at Khorri Autos Dubai would be very happy to see the vehicle they put together in such good shape and well taken care of. They seem to have put in a lot of hours into this one, lowered roof, reinforced chassis, suspension and all.

Also is a good prototype model for all local rally build vehicles-with bare minimums and all necessities! The roll cage does look like it needs some help though as its not a light vehicles by any means.

All the best for next rally season as well, Nooriabad understandable, but Mithi is not one to be missed this year

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    Mashallah Nissan is looking good. I am sure the chaps at Khorri Autos Dubai would be very happy to see the vehicle they put together in such good shape and well taken care of. They seem to have put in a lot of hours into this one, lowered roof, reinforced chassis, suspension and all.

Also is a good prototype model for all local rally build vehicles-with bare minimums and all necessities! The roll cage does look like it needs some help though as its not a light vehicles by any means.

All the best for next rally season as well, Nooriabad understandable, but Mithi is not one to be missed this year
    SK has a point, i remember some pictures of the VTC after the Jhal roll over and remember that the A-pillar had taken a considerable beating and had bent inwards by some margin... a brace from the top of the A pillar to the horizontal brace on the floor close to the front lower anchor of the cage should fix that.... Saidhi bhai yeh bhi karwa lein!

Additionally after the "lover affair" with the tree during testing i suggest you put an additional center brace on the front bumper between the angular braces.. much needed protection for the radiator...

im game, as a spectator if anyone wants to go to mithi and Jhal... should hopefully have a rig by cholistan
    More Power!!! More power....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by yaserag View Post
    Totally agree. Whatever the potential for other fates awaiting a FMIC, Pajeros definitely like to land nose first and the first impact the bumper makes with the dirt will probably cripple the intercooler. The top mount may not be as efficient but at least it won't cramp the driver's confidence to drive the car flat out.

SK, when is Mithi happening BTW? I would've liked to meet up with you guys at Nooriabad, but Mithi should be fun too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

User Tag List