87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question Crankshaft/camshaft sensor replacement

want to replace both crankshaft and camshaft sensors of 96 mini pajero. is no rpm reading while cranking, no rpm reading for first 5 seconds on cold start, and car tries to stall/stumble when coolant temperature gets or exceeds 90C and then becomes hard to restart again while hot, sings of a failing CKP and CPS?

while replacing them any precautions i should take or things i should be worried about? the CKP is behind the timing cover and i am not sure where the CPS exactly is, can anybody please shed some light on this.

second question. where is the location of transmission ecu relay. is it in the fusebox or under the dashboard?

the issue is the TCM doesnt work and limp home mode unless ambient temperature is not too cold or a heatgun is held to the TCM for 4-5 seconds. otherwise shifts perfect. the transmission mechanically is perfect, even ATF is new and fully synthetic of the right spec.

this is a relay issue or something else? as i checked a replacement TCM but issue remains same and its non existent in summer, so i suspect the Main TCM relay.
    If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

this car is 96 model so i presume it has one of those CKP sensors that only monitor knock and not the full spark timing etc, otherwise car would not start or run correctly in the first place. right now it runs correctly except when it gets hot in summer sitting in traffic with AC and it plays up with the above symptoms mentioned.

the car has a full ecu scan, there are no stored codes and everything else is mechanically perfect, making me believe the CKP and CPS are at fault.

could it be that just a spring in the CKP sensor is loose?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Update

i found out that my car in fact does not have a CKP/CPS and instead a electro distributor with a connector and three wires running out of it,
    so will be replacing that

i would say thanks to @haroon_1 . after your statement that my car does not have a crank sensor i did some more research on it and did infact found out it had a distributor hidden at the back of the engine.

this is intact a relief as radiator, timing cover etc wont have to be dismantled to simply access the sensor, the distributor is simply held on by at the back of the engine.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Plz post a picture of your engine bay and radiator. I want to see your cooling system

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by haroon_1 View Post
    Plz post a picture of your engine bay and radiator. I want to see your cooling system
    sorry for late reply was not in city.

Crankshaftcamshaft sensor replacement -1521190Crankshaftcamshaft sensor replacement -1521189Crankshaftcamshaft sensor replacement -1521191Crankshaftcamshaft sensor replacement -1521188

original radiator was replaced by oem mitsubishi double naali radiator, direct fit, this model has a viscous fan it was also replaced and is automatic and fan shroud was also broken and replaced. thermostat installed.running toyota premixed coolant with a new radiator cap.

engine bay is dirty i know.

despite this in peak lahore summers if idled with ac for over 15 min temperature starts to cross half but never over heat, driving brings the temp down, if it becomes persistent maybe ill replace the condenser as well.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Engine bay

Crankshaftcamshaft sensor replacement -1521194

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the distributor looking thing at the back of the engine holds the engine position sensors - thats what the three wires are. Its a very old design and used to be seen on older mitsubishi and Nissan EFI engines. Yours would be magnetic sensors - while the ancient Nissans etc had optical sensors and trigger windows.

Mitsubishi also had an external housing cam position sensor in some engines, it was a chopped of distributor base with a window wheel bolted to the camshaft from within and then a regular mitsubishi hall effect sensor sensing the window gap and relaying the ECU engine position information.

depending on manufacturing year your mitsubishi may have either a golden color large EFI relay - its a twin relay which controls the fuel pump and also powers up the ECU, TCU, injectors and coils. The other version of this is two separate relays - both found behind the knee padding panel on the driver side.

btw - did you change out the clutched fan for an electric?
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    the distributor looking thing at the back of the engine holds the engine position sensors - thats what the three wires are. Its a very old design and used to be seen on older mitsubishi and Nissan EFI engines. Yours would be magnetic sensors - while the ancient Nissans etc had optical sensors and trigger windows.

Mitsubishi also had an external housing cam position sensor in some engines, it was a chopped of distributor base with a window wheel bolted to the camshaft from within and then a regular mitsubishi hall effect sensor sensing the window gap and relaying the ECU engine position information.

depending on manufacturing year your mitsubishi may have either a golden color large EFI relay - its a twin relay which controls the fuel pump and also powers up the ECU, TCU, injectors and coils. The other version of this is two separate relays - both found behind the knee padding panel on the driver side.

btw - did you change out the clutched fan for an electric?
    thanks for the info its going to be helpful, my car has the twin relay system i think as i coudnt find a large golden relay, and that distributor thing with three wires i removed and checked, rather than fit a kaabli part i cleaned mine one and put it back and replaced o ring as well. a brand new distributor for even this old model would cost somewhere around 25000rs, as the car runs fine except in extreme low/high temps indicating its distributor is weak, i am gonna keep using it and keep a spare kaabli one in the car for backup, most of the problem was solved by replacing the throttle position sensor and cleaning the iacv valve, now at cold start rpms rise immediately.

didn't let the mechanic mess with the throttle stop screw no matter how much he stressed. after replacing the sensor and reattaching the distributor idle relearn needs to be performed i think as rpms fluctuate for a while while driving sometimes drop to 600 and sometimes 1500rpm but after 1 km or two smoothen out and return correctly.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Plz change this radiator, all will go fine then, i am having a radiator almost double in size. I got it made from shahdra remember only brass radiator will work(3 nali wala). The only solution to drive a mini pajero with ac in Pakistan. Else it will not be fine even after engine swap

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

this one is aluminium,

did you do any alteration to the brackets? what about fan

is it feasible for this 96 model with viscous fan to convert it to electric fan?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

mini pajero being sold in only japan where the hottest temperature record is 42C and here every year thats just normal, so these cars have poor coolings systems from factory, aftermarket cooling system seems the only way, will consider it in summers, right now its too cold, even this one is keeping just on operating temp doesnt even exceed 85C after a harsh drive in current conditions

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List