Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Pajero Alternator Overcharging Battery

Hi all
    Last week one of the batteries of My Pajero II gen (4D56 TDI) boiled and spilled out all acid. The other battery was fine (though it also heats up), so I took the decision of changing the boiled battery. New battery put in as per my knowledge but again it is boiling. Even some acid came out of it again after driving for approx 100km. I checked the voltage of generator and found 15V which is higher (must be around 14V). I want to know about the charging regulator system of this Pajero, I mean is it solid state or relay based? I went to local electrician and he told me to change the "Cutouts"? but these were not available with him. I want to know what is "Cutout"? Do Ustads call a relay as cutout? Does this gen pajero possess a DC generator or an alternator. Coming weekend im going to rawalpindi for this repair, so want to know whether to change alternator/generator or repair it/its regulation circuit. Is this regulation circuit inside the generator or outside? Can damaged rectifier diodes cause this overcharging? please suggest best place for repair. And the last question, where can I find best parts in rawalpindi, new or used?
    I googled but no satisfactory answer found thatswhy starting new thread. Sorry for too much questions in a row. help will be highly appreciated.
    @Xulfiqar Guru throw light on it @capsat Any help

Regards

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

twin batteries cars are best serviced by replacing both batteries at the same time, If one battery has a bad cell it will kill the other battery too, also make sure the battery linking cable on the positive is in good shape as well as the grounding cables.

The alternator is a simple 2 wire type AC alternator with built in regulator, The way these are wired is that the small wire on the alternator is the sense wire and is wired up either directly or through a relay to provide full voltage, The usual fault I saw on boiled over batteries in pajero was a bad small wire on the alternator.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    twin batteries cars are best serviced by replacing both batteries at the same time, If one battery has a bad cell it will kill the other battery too, also make sure the battery linking cable on the positive is in good shape as well as the grounding cables.

The alternator is a simple 2 wire type AC alternator with built in regulator, The way these are wired is that the small wire on the alternator is the sense wire and is wired up either directly or through a relay to provide full voltage, The usual fault I saw on boiled over batteries in pajero was a bad small wire on the alternator.
    Thanx for the reply boss. Actually the other battery is only 3 months old and I checked it and found ok. I know one dead battery can also kill the other in parallel, but now both are new so no worries. The boiled battery (old one) was one plus year old.
    As per suggestion I will check the small wire on alternator tomorrow Insha Allah. BTW linking cables of positive and negative terminals are in good condition and terminals are regularly cleaned/coated with petroleum jelly.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Culprit found. The voltage regulator was not working so replaced it.
    Here is a picture
    Pajero Alternator Overcharging Battery -1541525
    How does this work?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Pajero Alternator Overcharging Battery -1541526

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AmeerUsman View Post
    Culprit found. The voltage regulator was not working so replaced it.
    Here is a picture
    Pajero Alternator Overcharging Battery -1541525
    How does this work?
    good that you changed it, its pretty flimsy honestly. - its a simple device, it tracks difference of voltage at the S and B line and amps up the alternator to excite and start the charge.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

good that you changed it, its pretty flimsy honestly. - its a simple device, it tracks difference of voltage at the S and B line and amps up the alternator to excite and start the charge.
    S & B sense and battery or something else?

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List