Previously I was of the opinion that hi-octane in normal engines causes damage due to over-heating and we can use it occasionally in percentage mixture with normal fuel. Just a few days back i had a detailed discussion with a chemical engineer who happened to be a lubricant expert of PSO. As i understood, The theory states that car engines r designed to withstand the heat generated by higher RON fuel (e.g, high octane which is around 96 RON compared to regular which is some 88 to 89 RON) ... There is also a news that a fuel rating 93-94 RON fuel is being standardized in Pakistan as regular petrol ... so far this proposal is in process so cant say when it will be approved and implemented...
after this discussion, what i did was to top up my tank with hi-octane and till now i have used half tank
my observation and question
- car with high octane gives better mileage some 5-10% better
- So why not use hi-octane only when its price is approx 15% more... net difference is not much .. but u get better engine life, performance and efficency
Please offer ur comments
- Is it safe to use hi-octane only ?
- Has anyone experienced better mileage with hi-octane only and how much improvement ?
- any other stats or experiences
- Used Cars
- New Cars
- Cool Rides
- Post an Ad