Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default "The deadly front brake" - Proper braking technique on motorbikes

Hi,

Is it really just a rumour that one should ONLY use the front brake when you're just walking the bike by hand or have speeds of less than 15km/h???

There seems to be a general fear that if you use the front brake at any speed then you're guaranteed to fall over the handlebar, headfirst and risk either a major concussion or death.

Knowing how to brake properly is a serious aspect of riding a motorbike which should not at all be neglected when learning to ride your bike. Alot of people have been riding a bike for years and most people are either selftaught or are given very little professional training.

I'd like for people who know from experience to tell me if this rumour is just stupid or if there's proper truth to this.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

Why I ask this is because on certain MCforums, it's said that the frontbrake on a motorcycle provides upto 70% of the braking force, where as the rearbrakes only provide 30-40%

But then if this applies to only sportsbikes with discbrakes or all kinds of motorcycles is also a questionable factor.

Motorbike vs Cycles -

Is it fair to compare a motorbike with a cycle? Are cycles more likely to topple over and have you fall headfirst when using the front brake at high speeds?

There's a difference in inertia ratio when riding a cycle vs MC. When you brake on a cycle, those brakes are trying to stop a light 20kg frame, whereas your own mass of say 80kg is still "moving forward".

On a motorbike the intertia ratio is more evened out or more in favour of the mc itself as it can be 80-200kg , depending on it being a 70cc or heavy sportsbike. You also have a lower riding position, giving a few degrees of safety.

Best braking for shortest braking distance and deacceleration 100 --> 0 km/h

Going at highspeed and clenching either front or rearbrake would seem stupid because it would result in a wheel lock and continued slide (rear), and front clench (bye bye).

So I guess if you are gradual in using the front brake and slowly clench it tighter alongside the rear brake it should provide faster braking than just relying on the rear brake itself?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Alot of good replies and I think it's good safety advice and very informative for riders on this safety aspect.

Which makes me wonder again, how would you compare an 80kg Honda 70 vs a 100kg, 112kg deluxe, 116kg RP when braking. Is the Honda 70 more likely to flip over from behind because of it's lower overall weight compared to heavier bikes?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mateen001 View Post
    Alot of good replies and I think it's good safety advice and very informative for riders on this safety aspect.

Which makes me wonder again, how would you compare an 80kg Honda 70 vs a 100kg, 112kg deluxe, 116kg RP when braking. Is the Honda 70 more likely to flip over from behind because of it's lower overall weight compared to heavier bikes?
    these bikes dont flipover but slip, tyres aren't grippy enuff for stoppies.
    Bella, You give me everything just by REVing - NEONLIGHT SAGA: NEWTUBE

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ammarzahid View Post
    i messed up my words. leaning backwards won't stop the dive, it'll just lessen it (to some extent), i read this countless times while searching for a quick way to minimize the diving effect under braking. not sure how practical of an idea it is though
    test this, hop on a Yam R1 - launch smoothly, in first - go full bore after 100 km/h till 200 km/h - apply brakes and try it, wont work, you are sitting atop the projectile and the only way you can do the opposite movement is if you are a time bender, you can however brace your body to the handle bars.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

please learn how to modulate the brake lever, know the bite point and practice modulating it, Always make sure your brake fluid is upto the task, dont use Rs 10/- brake fluid - its a killer.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    test this, hop on a Yam R1 - launch smoothly, in first - go full bore after 100 km/h till 200 km/h - apply brakes and try it, wont work, you are sitting atop the projectile and the only way you can do the opposite movement is if you are a time bender, you can however brace your body to the handle bars.
    Ok i didnt test this on an r1 but got a chance to try it for myself on the gs150. And yes, its IMPOSSIBLE to lean backwards. Makes me wonder what thosw people were on about

Sent from my LG-F160K using PW Forums mobile app

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    please learn how to modulate the brake lever, know the bite point and practice modulating it, Always make sure your brake fluid is upto the task, dont use Rs 10/- brake fluid - its a killer.
    Any advice on drum brakes? My bike's rear drum is woeful. Modulating does seem to stop the bike faster than holding on to the level constantly

Sent from my LG-F160K using PW Forums mobile app

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

User Tag List