Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Distribution of driving license legally is useless. Doesn't determine the road skill

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    jazibdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    24
    Posts
    498
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Unhappy Distribution of driving license legally is useless. Doesn't determine the road skill

    Recently this month i have recieved my driving license(Legally). I failed once and after 42 days i went back to give my second attempt(I passed).I failed because of touching a cone during reverse in the L-Shape obestical.
    After i recieved my license.I realised that what was the point of the test.Driving in L-Shape doesn't determine whether i know how to change lane.Stop before a zeebra crossing or etc.

    Please give your opinion.

    Is the licensing system really that benificial. Judging by the drivers on the road even with the license look at your roads and observe how we are surrounded by illiterate driver.

    when i drive i feel that my car is at 90% risk that some one might crash or bump in to me even though i drive safe as i can.

    No offense. Distribution of driving license legally is useless Doesnt determine the road skill -1408409Distribution of driving license legally is useless Doesnt determine the road skill -1408410Distribution of driving license legally is useless Doesnt determine the road skill -1408411

  2. #21
    PakWheeler Follow
    Faisal_Computer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kamalia
    Posts
    963
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    had passed on very 1st try here in Pakistan. i had my license from K.S.A which was really difficult. had passed after 3rd try. take 1 whole month classes and 1 bottle of blood and some Riyals for each try
    Br
    Faisal_Computer

  3. #22
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    manni1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,199
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    i failed....but got the license after all the candidates gone....i had reference so the officer said abhi jao ghantey baad a jana....he keep my documents with him....
    If plan "A" didnt work...dont mind......Alphabet has 25 more letters

  4. #23
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    faisalayub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jiddah
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,509
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msabbasi View Post
    I am 52 years old and have a unique experience of getting three driving licences both at home and abroad - all legally, never failed ever. As part of my Company's safety initiative all employees had to have an 8 hr defensive driving class, so that too has been taught. I totally agree with Jazib Ensar Sb. when he says that the driving test is a joke. When is it in real life that you needed to reverse in L shape in a traffic situation? Probably when pulling out of a parking spot at 3 km/h.

    First license was obtained in Karachi when I got my first car in 1985. Second license was in Saudi Arabia in 1992. The third one was in Islamabad in 2013 after I had my briefcase containing my Karachi licence stolen at the Dubai airport. Of all of these, I think the driving test nearest to real life was the one I got from Karachi, followed by the one in Saudi and the one in Islamabad was a total joke.

    Why do I say that? After the I passed the road signage test, I was asked to drive in the obstacle course inside the Clifton traffic police thana including an uphill drive off without rolling back. After that the warden sat with me in the car and asked me to drive around the Clifton, asking me to change lanes, make U turns, turn into side lanes, come out of a side lane onto a main road. His only comment was that on one of the turns I did not indicate my turn early enough. Now that a proper test!!

    The one in Saudi mainly tested my skills in parallel parking in addition the usual signage test, road marking test and driving about an obstacle course in the police station.

    The one in Islamabad was the silliest one of all. I opted for taking the signage test via the computer. One of the questions was what it the average age of the driver involved in accident? I have no idea what bearing knowing the answer to that question has on my ability to know and follow driving laws. As far as the actual driving test was concerned, I was asked to sit in the little Mehran, start it, take it out of its parking spot drive 30 yards, stop and reverse the car back into the same spot. WOW. From that little test they could determine my knowledge of checking my mirror before changing lanes, KEEPING IN LANE, Giving way to traffic on the right in a round about etc. etc. etc. INCREDIBLE

    I think the only way to improve traffic in Pakistan is to make the driving test more inline with real life situations and then enforce the test properly. No side door entries. A tough driving test will only lead to somewhat improving the chaos on Pakistani roads today.

    Jokes aside, I think the most orderly traffic in Pakistan is in Karachi.
    The time I went for the driving license passed it for the first time.. In Pakistan went to Police station just gave them in signage test and thats it.

    As for Saudia first went for a test drive in which they check about setting of all mirrors, seat belt, proper indication, even rewing and breaking of car, got A in that test and next day went for final test. In final test it depends on the mood of Police officer regarding the test, first one to make an 8, its very tight even just a little steer out you car will on pavement, second one is on little sloppy road and he said you to stop the car at slop, and after some moment to drive the car, most of them failed here, the third and last one is to make an X by entering straight in and then reverse and than out from X. In X the most critical things they noted here, are like proper indication, gaps, mirror setting, way of reversing, judgement. I went for the X and got full marks. After driving test the signage test on computer, after passing signage test you will get your license.

    One more thing, 90% of police officers asks to do only one test from three for the expats, but for saudis they have to perform all the three tests along with test on road as well.

    One more thing Traffic police also take one bottle of blood from you along with fees... and it is must. Especially in Ramadan they will not take blood... because all are on fasting...
    Toyota Cressida 1982 GL ... Mazda Cx-9 2009... Toyota Corolla 2007 XLI EXECUTIVE (SOLD)...

  5. #24
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    faisalayub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jiddah
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,509
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal_Computer View Post
    had passed on very 1st try here in Pakistan. i had my license from K.S.A which was really difficult. had passed after 3rd try. take 1 whole month classes and 1 bottle of blood and some Riyals for each try
    Br
    Faisal_Computer
    Faisal Bhai bottle of blood is zarori, if you go in Ramadan then they will not take blood. .. No I passed in first try...
    Toyota Cressida 1982 GL ... Mazda Cx-9 2009... Toyota Corolla 2007 XLI EXECUTIVE (SOLD)...

  6. #25
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    msabbasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,483
    Follows
    4
    Following
    3
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmaster View Post
    ^so driving test standard has dropped in past 30yrs according to your personal experience...?
    Looks that way. Yes.

  7. #26
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    msabbasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,483
    Follows
    4
    Following
    3
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    I bet if you stopped 100 random drivers and asked them why are there lines on the road (broken, solid, yellow) and what is their purpose, if your were lucky, maybe one or two will be able to give you the correct answer . Concept of keeping in lanes is nonexistent in the Pindi area. Islamabad is not that good either. I have seen drivers on the Islamabad Expressway driving straddling the lane marker line for kilometres upon kilometres totally oblivious to the fact that they are occupying two lanes. It doesn't end there, the fast lane has the slowest traffic, and the middle lane is used for overtaking because all the slow pokes are in the fast lane. The slowest lane is there for emergency overtaking in case the middle lane is full of bikes. The bikers of course use all the lanes.

    The concept of getting in the correct lane about 500 - 300 meters before making a turn is also a foreign one. Merge lanes are seldom used for the purpose they are indented. It cracks me up when I see Suzuki FX making wide turns as if the driver is turning an eighteen wheeler rig.

  8. #27
    PakWheeler Follow
    bigmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Gazojak
    Posts
    967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msabbasi View Post
    I bet if you stopped 100 random drivers and asked them why are there lines on the road (broken, solid, yellow) and what is their purpose, if your were lucky, maybe one or two will be able to give you the correct answer . Concept of keeping in lanes is nonexistent in the Pindi area. Islamabad is not that good either. I have seen drivers on the Islamabad Expressway driving straddling the lane marker line for kilometres upon kilometres totally oblivious to the fact that they are occupying two lanes. It doesn't end there, the fast lane has the slowest traffic, and the middle lane is used for overtaking because all the slow pokes are in the fast lane. The slowest lane is there for emergency overtaking in case the middle lane is full of bikes. The bikers of course use all the lanes.

    The concept of getting in the correct lane about 500 - 300 meters before making a turn is also a foreign one. Merge lanes are seldom used for the purpose they are indented. It cracks me up when I see Suzuki FX making wide turns as if the driver is turning an eighteen wheeler rig.
    I rarely get to see lines on the road...

  9. #28
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    msabbasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,483
    Follows
    4
    Following
    3
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmaster View Post
    I rarely get to see lines on the road...
    Not only do we drive haphazardly we also stop and park the same way. It all makes sense if one tells oneself each driver considers the roads his private property.

  10. #29
    PakWheeler Follow
    shuja11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    32
    Posts
    523
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    2
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Talking Parking or no Parking. He'll park wherever suits him.

    Parking or no Parking. He'll park wherever suits him. He couldnt see all the empty parking out there.

    Distribution of driving license legally is useless Doesnt determine the road skill -1410523Distribution of driving license legally is useless Doesnt determine the road skill -1410524

  11. #30
    PakWheeler Follow
    jazibdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    24
    Posts
    498
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shuja11 View Post
    Parking or no Parking. He'll park wherever suits him. He couldnt see all the empty parking out there.

    Distribution of driving license legally is useless Doesnt determine the road skill -1410523Distribution of driving license legally is useless Doesnt determine the road skill -1410524
    It not his fault that he is so awesome and cool and thinks the road is his property.lol

    Sent from my HTC VLE_U using PW Forums mobile app

  12. #31
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    CrashD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,182
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    toughest driving test I ever had was a in UK, couple of years back practical test, hazard prescription test and driving test all were testing control and knowledge improved my driving skills and control. Islamabad test in no wonder a joke!
    BUG ME AND I WILL CRASH INTO U!

  13. #32
    PakWheeler Follow
    malik.gul87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    29
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Distribution of driving license legally is useless. Doesn't determine the roa...

    Quote Originally Posted by msabbasi View Post
    I am 52 years old and have a unique experience of getting three driving licences both at home and abroad - all legally, never failed ever. As part of my Company's safety initiative all employees had to have an 8 hr defensive driving class, so that too has been taught. I totally agree with Jazib Ensar Sb. when he says that the driving test is a joke. When is it in real life that you needed to reverse in L shape in a traffic situation? Probably when pulling out of a parking spot at 3 km/h.

    First license was obtained in Karachi when I got my first car in 1985. Second license was in Saudi Arabia in 1992. The third one was in Islamabad in 2013 after I had my briefcase containing my Karachi licence stolen at the Dubai airport. Of all of these, I think the driving test nearest to real life was the one I got from Karachi, followed by the one in Saudi and the one in Islamabad was a total joke.

    Why do I say that? After the I passed the road signage test, I was asked to drive in the obstacle course inside the Clifton traffic police thana including an uphill drive off without rolling back. After that the warden sat with me in the car and asked me to drive around the Clifton, asking me to change lanes, make U turns, turn into side lanes, come out of a side lane onto a main road. His only comment was that on one of the turns I did not indicate my turn early enough. Now that a proper test!!

    The one in Saudi mainly tested my skills in parallel parking in addition the usual signage test, road marking test and driving about an obstacle course in the police station.

    The one in Islamabad was the silliest one of all. I opted for taking the signage test via the computer. One of the questions was what it the average age of the driver involved in accident? I have no idea what bearing knowing the answer to that question has on my ability to know and follow driving laws. As far as the actual driving test was concerned, I was asked to sit in the little Mehran, start it, take it out of its parking spot drive 30 yards, stop and reverse the car back into the same spot. WOW. From that little test they could determine my knowledge of checking my mirror before changing lanes, KEEPING IN LANE, Giving way to traffic on the right in a round about etc. etc. etc. INCREDIBLE

    I think the only way to improve traffic in Pakistan is to make the driving test more inline with real life situations and then enforce the test properly. No side door entries. A tough driving test will only lead to somewhat improving the chaos on Pakistani roads today.

    Jokes aside, I think the most orderly traffic in Pakistan is in Karachi.
    Hahahaa sir karachi ma b aise h test hotta ha jo dena chahta waise wahan test marzi se hoota ha q k police wala pehle h paise mang leta ha. Maine karachi se test de k paas kia tha first attept ma Sirf 5 din driving seekh k.
    Aap ne aik bohot h bari mari ha most orderly traffic in pakistan is in karachi. Banda thori chaj ki marta ha.


    Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums

  14. #33
    PakWheeler Follow
    jazibdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    24
    Posts
    498
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camry47 View Post
    Come back to KHI again and feel the difference specially on SIGNALS
    Recently came back from Karachi and it is a hell hole. Zero traffic rules no signal. Zero. There is so much chaos on the road.

  15. #34
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    dms664's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Select City
    Age
    33
    Posts
    7,013
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by faisalayub View Post
    The time I went for the driving license passed it for the first time.. In Pakistan went to Police station just gave them in signage test and thats it.

    As for Saudia first went for a test drive in which they check about setting of all mirrors, seat belt, proper indication, even rewing and breaking of car, got A in that test and next day went for final test. In final test it depends on the mood of Police officer regarding the test, first one to make an 8, its very tight even just a little steer out you car will on pavement, second one is on little sloppy road and he said you to stop the car at slop, and after some moment to drive the car, most of them failed here, the third and last one is to make an X by entering straight in and then reverse and than out from X. In X the most critical things they noted here, are like proper indication, gaps, mirror setting, way of reversing, judgement. I went for the X and got full marks. After driving test the signage test on computer, after passing signage test you will get your license.

    One more thing, 90% of police officers asks to do only one test from three for the expats, but for saudis they have to perform all the three tests along with test on road as well.

    One more thing Traffic police also take one bottle of blood from you along with fees... and it is must. Especially in Ramadan they will not take blood... because all are on fasting...
    Why blood?

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    My dear ALLAH when I loose hope, help me to remember that Your love is greater than my disappointment and Your plans for my life are better than my Dreams.

  16. #35
    PakWheeler Follow
    Massive_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    35
    Posts
    849
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    since everybody is talking about licenses, thought of sharing something i read

    Roznama Dunya

  17. #36
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    camry47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,340
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazibdon View Post
    Recently came back from Karachi and it is a hell hole. Zero traffic rules no signal. Zero. There is so much chaos on the road.
    Even rules were bamboo'd worst day by day

  18. #37
    PakWheeler Follow
    jazibdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    24
    Posts
    498
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camry47 View Post
    Even rules were bamboo'd worst day by day
    I was also told to speed on silent roads and stop for nothing because honda 125 can come from any where and 😬😅

  19. #38
    PakWheeler Follow
    ZainMahdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    22
    Posts
    928
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    I can't see why people keep failing on the ITP test..... five people failed before me, then I passed when my turn came .

    Anyways, people here really need to understand lane discipline and right of way. The right lane is often hogged by an XLi, the middle has a CD 70 rider calmly going at 50 km/h; only the left lane is left for both crusing and overtaking -_-.

    For those who still haven't realized, the right lane is ONLY for overtaking (unless there is a U turn you want to take). Slower traffic (AKA 50 km/h motorcycles and hypermilers) belong in the left lane.

  20. #39
    PakWheeler Follow
    jazibdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    24
    Posts
    498
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZainMahdi View Post
    I can't see why people keep failing on the ITP test..... five people failed before me, then I passed when my turn came .

    Anyways, people here really need to understand lane discipline and right of way. The right lane is often hogged by an XLi, the middle has a CD 70 rider calmly going at 50 km/h; only the left lane is left for both crusing and overtaking -_-.

    For those who still haven't realized, the right lane is ONLY for overtaking (unless there is a U turn you want to take). Slower traffic (AKA 50 km/h motorcycles and hypermilers) belong in the left lane.
    Also the heavey traffic htv. Vehicles belong in the left lane and the bikers always in the left. The chinchi and rickshaw need to stay at home because they think the whole road is one big lane and they keep wandering left to right and vice versa.

  21. #40
    PakWheeler Follow
    saad432's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    21
    Posts
    446
    Follows
    0
    Following
    3
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    best way is colleges
    traffic police should train students for driving and bike riding as there are many driving schools
    traffic police should charge them and will also teach them

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •