Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Honda Fit Hybrid fuel mileage tips and share your mileage

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    deltoid61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    36
    Posts
    236
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Honda Fit Hybrid fuel mileage tips and share your mileage

    Salam to all.I have a Honda fit hybrid near 6 month now and i wanted to share some tips..
    keep in mind that a lot factors affect mileage.for example
    ~ Fuel quality(i have tested many times now normal vs hi-octane,later gives exactly near 2 km/L more,i.e if u are getting 20Km/L with normal fuel you may get 22Km/L with high octane)
    ~ Spark plugs
    ~ Air filter condition
    ~ Your driving style
    ~ Tyre air pressure and type of tyres
    ~ Weather conditions,like summer winter
    ~ Air conditioning
    ~ Engine oil viscosity

    So lets assume you have all above in good condition.the main tip is that as fit has bigger engine and IMA to help it,so dont be shy to accelerate.i mean not so hard but dont drive like a 660 cc car to save fuel.
    When you have attained your desired speed,lighen your foot from accelerator slightly and look at speedometer.keep lifting your foot and you will notice that there is a point where speed is constant despite your foot much lifting off of accelerator.
    thats the point to get max mileage.you will be surprized by noting that when you are thinking i have lifted so much foot off the paddle and the speed will decrease but it wont.that is the point. learn to master that point. and dont shy to cross a car,just accelerate enough and you will see the IMA needle moving very right to help you accelerate.so you wont burn much fuel by a slighly hard crossing as batteries will take care of that.below is the video i made but when shifted that to PC i realized it was tilted but you will get the point.ignore the heavy rain sound at the end
    Video
    http://tinypic.com/r/24pcsid/8


    Other point is that as Fit hybrid cant run solely on batteries like a prius so dont expect most mileage at lower speeds like 20-30Km/H, fit has best mileage at 40-90Km/H. so remain in those speeds if easy for you.
    Here is my mileage.
    normal lahore city driving with flowing trafic =upto 25Km/L
    Traffic jams,low speeds 20Km/L
    Long route speed 90 = 22Km/L
    Speed 100-110= 20 km/L
    Speed 120-130= 17-18 km/L
    Speed 140 = 15-16 Km/L
    at speed beyond 90-100 again the mileage drops because at higher speed batteries dont help so much

    honda fit hybrid fuel mileage tips and share your mileage -1609081 Normal city driving

    Today 24 Aug with humid and hot waether,went to anarkali via mall at near 2 pm,so you can imagine the traffic etc.got 19km/L with near 50 km trip.

    Also do note some other things about Fit hybrid
    Engine oil capacity for Honda fit 1340 cc = 3.4L Gp4=3.6 L
    Viscosity= 0W20 (you can find Mobil1,Zic and Ptt performa in this viscosity and many others but i prefer Ptt performa at this point). may up by 0W30 but not beyond that
    Oil change interval 5000 Km (i know that is bit early if you use synthetics,but as these oils are thin,they suffer more wear tear,so better change at 5k in summer and may be 8k in winter)
    Air filter recommended is oil based whitch is very expensive near Rs .4000. change interval 10,000 Km.not available at Honda but at oil shops
    you can use normal air filter too,your choice costs near Rs. 700.
    Spark plugs
    Gp1= VFKH20 Qunatity 8
    GP4/CRZ = DK20PR-D13 Quantity 4
    performance plugs VFK20F
    Honda insight = VFKH20 Quantity 8
    DENSO (JAPAN) has started selling the new Double Needle Iridium Tough VFKH16 and VFKH20 spark plugs
    So GP1 and honda insight guys get those ones when you change plugs
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    PakWheeler Follow
    saadhasan99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    My Fit 2011 gives only about 11km per litre in normal city drive. Avg trip is 20 km max. And avg speed is about 17 km/h.

    I have checked the air filter, found it clean. What could be the problem?

    Btw my driving style is going easy on car. I drive very carefully.

  3. #3
    PakWheeler Follow
    deltoid61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    36
    Posts
    236
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saadhasan99 View Post
    My Fit 2011 gives only about 11km per litre in normal city drive. Avg trip is 20 km max. And avg speed is about 17 km/h.

    I have checked the air filter, found it clean. What could be the problem?

    Btw my driving style is going easy on car. I drive very carefully.
    Look Honda Fit/insight doest give nice average below 30-40km/h speeds.It give nice mpg above those speeds. prius gives gud average below 60 speeds as it operated on battery on low speed but Fit/insights are mixed hybrid all the time.their motor is not powerful enough to run car alone.
    {{((( Impossible it self says 'I' 'm' 'possible' ))}}}
    Never Give Up Hope

  4. #4
    PakWheeler Follow
    ZainMahdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    22
    Posts
    928
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Honda IMA's are supposed to be used without assist/regen; using assist will drain down the battery pretty quickly; the IMA system will go into forced charging mode - forced charging increases the drag on the engine for the same given speed.

    There was a pretty detailed guide about using the Honda IMA - Adapting Basic Hypermiling Techniques To HCHII -over at cleanmpg. But for some reason, quite a few links to cleanmpg are broken atm.

    What it basically said was this: IMA should be thought of as an electric turbo; it should be avoided as much as possible.
    @saadhasan99 most cars get poor fuel economy with short trips. I can bet that at least half of your journey is spent warming up the ICE. The IMA system doesn't work properly unless the coolant temperature is above a certain value. Letting the car idle for 10 minutes before taking off is no good either; you will waste even more fuel that way. There are general hypermiling and IMA specific techniques to get around this; for starters try to find an engine block heater. It will give you a huge improvement.

    I will post later with advanced hypermiling techniques; as I said, most links to cleanmpg are broken atm.
    _ 22 km/l from '03 VTi automatic, with plenty of room for improvement
    _ How to hypermile: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/1510/

  5. #5
    Newbie Follow
    salhar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    My fit hybrid 2012, 1330 Cc, GP-1 does not give me mileage above 14. I use honda synthetic oil 5-30W. I hv tried attaining the desired mileage by following the above mentioned tips but could not get the results. I hv recently bought K&N filter from US which is oil based and reusable. I hv noticed pick has improved but mileage remains a question mark...

  6. #6
    PakWheeler Follow
    sajigreat7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    It will give better fuel economy only if u install geniune airflter which cost is rs.3500...otherwise whatever u do.. all will go in vain.. i waisted 5 non geniune filters

  7. #7
    PakWheeler Follow
    deltoid61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    36
    Posts
    236
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salhar View Post
    My fit hybrid 2012, 1330 Cc, GP-1 does not give me mileage above 14. I use honda synthetic oil 5-30W. I hv tried attaining the desired mileage by following the above mentioned tips but could not get the results. I hv recently bought K&N filter from US which is oil based and reusable. I hv noticed pick has improved but mileage remains a question mark...
    you are using thicker oil.local honda doest have 0w20 synthetic oil which is recommended in gp1/gp4 etc hybrids.i suggest you swith to 0w20 synthetic oil.go to filter house and chooase any good brand
    {{((( Impossible it self says 'I' 'm' 'possible' ))}}}
    Never Give Up Hope

  8. #8
    PakWheeler Follow
    ZainMahdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    22
    Posts
    928
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Finally found the thread; here it is: Adapting Basic Hypermiling Techniques To The HCHII. These guidelines should apply to current Honda hybrids as well. Of course, the Honda Fit might behave slightly differently, so experimentation might be in order.

    The link in my signature is also finally working again. Please give it a read everyone.
    _ 22 km/l from '03 VTi automatic, with plenty of room for improvement
    _ How to hypermile: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/1510/

  9. #9
    nn
    nn is offline
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    nn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    12,094
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Nice, informative thread.

    One thing I would like to add is that the consumption display is not completely accurate all the time.

    It hardly ever under-estimates (max upto 0.7kmpl), though it has over-estimated the consumption on few occasions (mostly 1kmpl, but max upto 2.5kmpl). My yardstick for that is fuel top-up to fuel top-up. I have almost always used the same petrol pump for filling up (apart from when travelling out of city).

    Worst fuel consumptions have been during short journeys in winter. In warmer weather even with AC on the fuel consumption is better. So lot of energy is wasted in warming up the cold engine. And even though the car heater probably has a very small element (takes forever to warm up car interior) it still significantly affects the economy.




  10. #10
    nn
    nn is offline
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    nn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    12,094
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Although I had read in some forums, that all that green button written with Econ on it in Honda car's is turn on a green sign on the instrument cluster. It does not improve anything much. Few weeks ago, a fellow pakwheeler mentioned very good economy without econ button 'ON', so I decide to try it my self. Well I have alternated between the two modes twice each, between fill up over the last 1000km+. And to my surprise there is absolutely no difference in fuel consumption between these both!!

    These are under very similar driving conditions within Islamabad, with similar loads on the vehicle. Consumption was calculated by distance covered and fuel fillup (Super) and remains 20kmpl for my GP1. One thing I will mention here is that in current weather neither the AC or heater is being used, so I can't say whether having either of them on will give a different result.

    The improvement in acceleration without econ button on is clearly noticeable. Although one gets used to it, and eitherway, that ever was or is any issue.



  11. #11
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    huzaifa.haroon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    5,001
    Follows
    10
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deltoid61 View Post
    Salam to all.I have a Honda fit hybrid near 6 month now and i wanted to share some tips..
    keep in mind that a lot factors affect mileage.for example
    ~ Fuel quality(i have tested many times now normal vs hi-octane,later gives exactly near 2 km/L more,i.e if u are getting 20Km/L with normal fuel you may get 22Km/L with high octane)
    ~ Spark plugs
    ~ Air filter condition
    ~ Your driving style
    ~ Tyre air pressure and type of tyres
    ~ Weather conditions,like summer winter
    ~ Air conditioning
    ~ Engine oil viscosity

    So lets assume you have all above in good condition.the main tip is that as fit has bigger engine and IMA to help it,so dont be shy to accelerate.i mean not so hard but dont drive like a 660 cc car to save fuel.
    When you have attained your desired speed,lighen your foot from accelerator slightly and look at speedometer.keep lifting your foot and you will notice that there is a point where speed is constant despite your foot much lifting off of accelerator.
    thats the point to get max mileage.you will be surprized by noting that when you are thinking i have lifted so much foot off the paddle and the speed will decrease but it wont.that is the point. learn to master that point. and dont shy to cross a car,just accelerate enough and you will see the IMA needle moving very right to help you accelerate.so you wont burn much fuel by a slighly hard crossing as batteries will take care of that.below is the video i made but when shifted that to PC i realized it was tilted but you will get the point.ignore the heavy rain sound at the end
    Video
    http://tinypic.com/r/24pcsid/8


    Other point is that as Fit hybrid cant run solely on batteries like a prius so dont expect most mileage at lower speeds like 20-30Km/H, fit has best mileage at 40-90Km/H. so remain in those speeds if easy for you.
    Here is my mileage.
    normal lahore city driving with flowing trafic =upto 25Km/L
    Traffic jams,low speeds 20Km/L
    Long route speed 90 = 22Km/L
    Speed 100-110= 20 km/L
    Speed 120-130= 17-18 km/L
    Speed 140 = 15-16 Km/L
    at speed beyond 90-100 again the mileage drops because at higher speed batteries dont help so much

    honda fit hybrid fuel mileage tips and share your mileage -1609081 Normal city driving

    Today 24 Aug with humid and hot waether,went to anarkali via mall at near 2 pm,so you can imagine the traffic etc.got 19km/L with near 50 km trip.

    Also do note some other things about Fit hybrid
    Engine oil capacity for Honda fit 1340 cc = 3.4L Gp4=3.6 L
    Viscosity= 0W20 (you can find Mobil1,Zic and Ptt performa in this viscosity and many others but i prefer Ptt performa at this point). may up by 0W30 but not beyond that
    Oil change interval 5000 Km (i know that is bit early if you use synthetics,but as these oils are thin,they suffer more wear tear,so better change at 5k in summer and may be 8k in winter)
    Air filter recommended is oil based whitch is very expensive near Rs .4000. change interval 10,000 Km.not available at Honda but at oil shops
    you can use normal air filter too,your choice costs near Rs. 700.
    Spark plugs
    Gp1= VFKH20 Qunatity 8
    GP4/CRZ = DK20PR-D13 Quantity 4
    performance plugs VFK20F
    Honda insight = VFKH20 Quantity 8
    DENSO (JAPAN) has started selling the new Double Needle Iridium Tough VFKH16 and VFKH20 spark plugs
    So GP1 and honda insight guys get those ones when you change plugs
    My insight normally with full load (5 people with luggage) always used to give 23.8-24 on long @95-100km/h. It has exactly same engine but it was a lift back(Prius type)
    Check your cars tire pressure, insight had 34 recommended

    Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
    Always respect your parents

  12. #12
    PakWheeler Follow
    deltoid61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    36
    Posts
    236
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huzaifa.haroon View Post
    My insight normally with full load (5 people with luggage) always used to give 23.8-24 on long @95-100km/h. It has exactly same engine but it was a lift back(Prius type)
    Check your cars tire pressure, insight had 34 recommended

    Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
    LOL i have gone turbo route.dont care about mileages any more
    {{((( Impossible it self says 'I' 'm' 'possible' ))}}}
    Never Give Up Hope

  13. #13
    nn
    nn is offline
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    nn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    12,094
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    My average over the last ten thousand KM, mixed driving!

    Honda Fit Hybrid fuel mileage tips and share your mileage -1706597

  14. #14
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    huzaifa.haroon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    5,001
    Follows
    10
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    My average over the last ten thousand KM, mixed driving!

    Honda Fit Hybrid fuel mileage tips and share your mileage -1706597
    Thats great. I've always seen some impressive figures by Honda Fit

    Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
    Always respect your parents

  15. #15
    PakWheeler Follow
    sajidbhatti_55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huzaifa.haroon View Post
    Thats great. I've always seen some impressive figures by Honda Fit

    Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
    Name:  1472562348987.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  35.8 KB

    Sent from my SM-A510F using PW Forums mobile app
    "When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."

  16. #16
    PakWheeler Follow
    sajidbhatti_55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huzaifa.haroon View Post
    Thats great. I've always seen some impressive figures by Honda Fit

    Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
    Name:  1472562387710.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  93.8 KB

    Sent from my SM-A510F using PW Forums mobile app
    "When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."

  17. #17
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    huzaifa.haroon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    5,001
    Follows
    10
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sajidbhatti_55 View Post
    Name:  1472562348987.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  35.8 KB

    Sent from my SM-A510F using PW Forums mobile app
    Haha its just 2.5km
    Honda Fit Hybrid fuel mileage tips and share your mileage - 724537eff9bcc73c31d92df476fb9609

    Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
    Always respect your parents

  18. #18
    PakWheeler Follow
    sajidbhatti_55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huzaifa.haroon View Post
    Haha its just 2.5km
    Honda Fit Hybrid fuel mileage tips and share your mileage - 724537eff9bcc73c31d92df476fb9609

    Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
    hahahahahah
    but getting overall 20km/L local with fulltime AC ON
    and 25km/L on long GT road
    not tested on motorway yet

    Sent from my SM-A510F using PW Forums mobile app
    "When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."

  19. #19
    nn
    nn is offline
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    nn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    12,094
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sajidbhatti_55 View Post
    Name:  1472562348987.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  35.8 KB

    Sent from my SM-A510F using PW Forums mobile app
    I got that last year as well, over 11+ km !

    Honda Fit Hybrid fuel mileage tips and share your mileage -1710968

  20. #20
    PakWheeler Follow
    alimr32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Can anyone help me with honda fit milage problem? i have tried driving carefully but it is only giving 11km/l in city and on long drive it is only giving 16km/l. Is there any issue ? or something which i can do which can help me improve the milage?? i ill be grateful if someone can guide me , plus direct me to right mechanic for this job.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •