17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question Rotten egg smell

The rotten egg smell that comes out from exhaust (hydrogen sulfide)... gotten worst in winter (no idea if coincidence). The car in question is Axio 2007 and it is happening upon cold start. There are no ERROR codes coming up in scan.

The information available on internet talks different. Some say it means the cat converter has gone bad, others say it means the converter is working properly while some others say this means the cat is about to fail. Yet others say it is the high sulfur content in fuel*. So... experts' opinions required and what are the methods for checking cat converter's health? Temperature I can take via infrared temperature gun. Although I have to admit, I am having a hard time figuring out where the CAT converter is under Axio....
    @Xulfiqar @SER_GTR @StrikerX

*I fill from PSO, I understand bad quality fuel will make the engine knock but if sulfur content in the fuel is high then it will be the same across all PSO pumps if they are getting supply from PSO officially. Tried fuel from several PSO outlets but the smell remains.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mashriqain View Post
    @Xulfiqar @SER_GTR

Is there any method of knowing whether the CAT converter is working fine or not, by looking at the A/F and O2 sensor data? i.e. should the O2 sensor graph the same as A/F sensor or opposite when everything is normal?

I also suspect something is not right with the O2 sensor as it responds with a lag. While I have also checked the O2 sensor's resistance and that exceeds the Toyota's mentioned resistance by at least 7 ohms. The resistance checked for the A/F sensor is within limit.
    A/F Sensor Is Pre Cat And O2 Is Post CAT ......If O2 Is Not Responding And You See Delay.....Replace It
    TOYOTA Sprinter 86- AE80 DOHC 20v'D TOYOTA Corolla 98- AE101 4AFE 16v

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the cat should be hot too, there should be a difference of 80C between the front and back of the converter if its actually working. Be it primary or secondary cat.

the secondary o2 graph tells you if the converter is working or not, it should give a somewhat stable output of 0.5V DC. Any leaks in the exhaust upsets the reading of the o2 sensor, even a tiny one.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SER_GTR View Post
    A/F Sensor Is Pre Cat And O2 Is Post CAT ......If O2 Is Not Responding And You See Delay.....Replace It
    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    the cat should be hot too, there should be a difference of 80C between the front and back of the converter if its actually working. Be it primary or secondary cat.

the secondary o2 graph tells you if the converter is working or not, it should give a somewhat stable output of 0.5V DC. Any leaks in the exhaust upsets the reading of the o2 sensor, even a tiny one.
    The secondary O2 keeps at a static .76 V on idle after warm up while A/F is acting normal, graphing up/down like it should. If you have used Techstream, any idea why the refresh rate of the data sometimes becomes 6000+ms?! I thought this also points to the sensor problem but then this only happens sometimes.

Appreciate the responses, everyone!

P.S. It is not possible to take correct temperature due to the location of the primary CAT by crawling under.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Someone sharted in ur car.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mashriqain View Post
    The secondary O2 keeps at a static .76 V on idle after warm up while A/F is acting normal, graphing up/down like it should. If you have used Techstream, any idea why the refresh rate of the data sometimes becomes 6000+ms?! I thought this also points to the sensor problem but then this only happens sometimes.

Appreciate the responses, everyone!
    I'm pretty sure the >1-2sec latency is because of the mongoose cable, since its a clone of the actual cable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    ChipLoco.com | Anything and everything from the tech world!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerX View Post
    I'm pretty sure the >1-2sec latency is because of the mongoose cable, since its a clone of the actual cable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    1-2 seconds is okay I guess, given it is a clone but becomes 6+ seconds for me sometimes. If only Denso's Intelli II tester were cheaper or the original Mongoose cable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List