(Tuesday, 5th February 2018)
DAIHATSU CUORE AXLE REPLACEMENT
Today I gathered the strength to get the axle work done because I received a good payment. I woke up early, jacked the car up, and inspected the boots of the car for the first time. Both were in terrible condition. The Left one had been completely finished and torn apart, with bearings exposed and grease dripping out. The right one had also been torn but only slightly and the grease had not started dripping. I took the car to my mechanic and he took the car for a good drive. He gave the following diagnoses:
1) The axle was in bad shape. The steering was too light and had excessive play.
2) The vibration needed to be curbed by installing 2 foundations.
3) The CV Joint and axle on the right side was gone. It needed to be replaced.
4) The process needs the transmission fluid to be drained, so ATF needs to be replaced.
I was skeptical about the foundations part. I had just replaced the foundations when I bought the car and the car had a little vibration from the time I changed them. However, I decided to give him a chance.
- He gave me a host of options including OEM, Kabuli NKN, and two varieties in chinese. I went for the Kabuli NKN because NKN is the OEM plus the affordable option at 2200 rs. a pop.
I kept checking the car periodically and he was diligently working on the car. He was using NKN black grease and did properly disassemble the axle, bought new rubbers, seals, push rods, bushes, and boots, and installed it the way they should be as I saw on the internet. All parts were unpacked in front of me and the Kabuli part was in excellent condition. @nfssaad you were right. The foundations are of rubber and I had written wrong above in my ignorance. After I recieved the car, I drove and noticed the following:
1) The car now has, for the first time in history of owning it, NO VIBRATIONS. God! those annoyed me. I dont know what the last mechanic installed, because I myself say those new foundations and they did not help much.
2) The steering wheel is now sturdier and has more resistance. However, the wheels are no longer arched, the car is gripping the road awesome, the brakes are also performing better.
3) No weird sounds when turning; steering play is eliminated but will need to test on highway to conclude.
4) He, as promised, poured new transmission oil as I checked it with a tissue.
Overall expense: PKR 5000.