Vettel equals Mansell's record with 14th pole of the season in Abu Dhabi
Sebastian Vettel equalled Nigel Mansell's record of 14 pole positions in a single season as he beat the McLarens to the top spot in a huge qualifying battle in Abu Dhabi.
<font face='Courier New'><font size='2'><font color='Navy'>[U]Abu Dhabi GP Qualifying Session[/U]</font></font></font>
<font color='DarkOrchid'>Pos Driver Team Time Gap </font>
1. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m38.481s
2. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m38.622s + 0.141
3. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m38.631s + 0.150
4. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m38.858s + 0.377
5. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m39.058s + 0.577
6. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m39.695s + 1.214
7. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m39.773s + 1.292
8. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1m40.662s + 2.181
9. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m40.768s + 2.287
10. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes
<font color='DarkOrchid'>Q2 cut-off time: 1m40.554s Gap **</font>
11. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m40.874s + 2.440
12. Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m40.919s + 2.485
13. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m41.009s + 2.575
14. Bruno Senna Renault 1m41.079s + 2.645
15. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m41.162s + 2.728
16. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m41.240s + 2.806
17. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1m41.760s + 3.326
<font color='DarkOrchid'>Q1 cut-off time: 1m42.605s Gap *</font>
18. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 1m42.979s + 3.197
19. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Renault 1m43.884s + 4.102
20. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m44.515s + 4.733
21. Daniel Ricciardo HRT-Cosworth 1m44.641s + 4.859
22. Jerome D'Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth 1m44.699s + 4.917
23. Tonio Liuzzi HRT-Cosworth 1m45.159s + 5.377
24. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosoworth no time
<font color='Purple'>107% time: 1m46.766s
* Gap to quickest in Q1
** Gap to quickest in Q2</font>
Ecclestone says Austin organisers facing an 'uphill struggle'
Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has admitted that Austin Grand Prix officials are facing an 'uphill struggle' with their preparation for next year's race - but he is hopeful that the race will take place.
Hamilton says second was the maximum possible in Abu Dhabi GP qualifying
Lewis Hamilton believes he extracted the maximum pace possible from his McLaren on his way to a front-row start for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Button suspects DRS will not be enough to improve overtaking in Abu Dhabi
Jenson Button fears it might be hard to overtake in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix even with two DRS zones available this year.
Vettel not surprised after securing record-equalling 14th pole of 2011
Sebastian Vettel says he was not surprised to be on pole position in Abu Dhabi despite his problems during practice.
Barrichello hit by engine problems as he completes worst qualifying of his career
Rubens Barrichello will start from 23rd on the grid - the worst grid position of his career - in Sunday's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix after an engine problem sidelined the Williams driver in Q1.
Perez delighted with qualifying effort after just missing out on top ten
Sergio Perez admitted he was delighted with his performance in qualifying for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix after just missing out on a top-ten finish.
Webber disappointed not to have got closer to Vettel in qualifying
Mark Webber admitted that he was disappointed with his fourth position on the grid for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix after failing to capitalise on his encouraging pace through practice.
Rosberg says he could have done better after qualifying in seventh position
Nico Rosberg believes he failed to extract the maximum performance from his Mercedes package in qualifying for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.