Hey guys... summer is gonna start toasting us all real soon, so it time to check ur cars' a/c's fixed/serviced. my cars' a/c is fine right now because it got it services at the end of last summer and its still good.im using a short cut method for a/c service everytime since i got my car in 2006.u can even do it yourself if u feel capable enough.
Basically, for cars that are relatively newer or those which have less fan throw (but the air is cold enough) , you dont really need to open the complete a/c unit to get it back to 100% working condition.u just need to get the blower freezer cleaned and that can be done without even taking it out.
im gonna post the pictures to demonstrate what my mechanic does with my cars' a/c every time for the past 4 years.
EDIT:- This type of service is not recommended more then 2 or 3 times. Or if u want to keep it safe, use a lower pressure water hose. The high pressure CAN deshape the gills of ur evaporator (the part being washed)
1) he rips out some fittings and a portion of carpet from the front passenger foot well area
2) he takes the glove compartment out
3) then unscrews the blower/fan and take it out
4) takes the car to a service station, put the water house directly into the part where the blower sends air (shown in picture number 4,a black rectangular opening), basically a lot of dust and other stuff is stuck on the radiator type grill in there.the water takes that all out.
5) drains the water through a hole in the floor
6) properly dries the floor and any visible water.
7) fits the blower back into its place after cleaning it with a dry cloth (not neccessary though)
8) refits all the fitting, seals the hole in the floor by silicon and puts back the carpet.
DONE! takes 30-40min MAX and just 500rs.plus the added advantage of not opening other parts which are working fine already. dont fear all that water in the foot well (unless ur cars' wiring is messed up) i ve got it done 4 times and no electrical or any sort of problems faced.but u gotta be careful because for some cars including city, the ecu is very near.
NOTE:- When washing the grill behind the dashboard, first put the water hose into the opening and then ask someone to open the water supply, ask that person to stay there and close when u say.usually, a maximum of 20-30 seconds of shud do the job.
Here are the pictures.
Getting this right depends on ur mechanic, but theres nothing very technical at all.all u gotta do is to let the water out properly and dry it with cloth before fixing the carpet back.another thing i did was to park in direct sun light for 2 hrs that day.that why there was no smell watsoever.