I needed to share this, coz this thread is about self tunning and DIYs so its compulsory to inform others about the hazards and risks of injury involved.
on 12 September 2010 (sunday) I opened the thermostat switch and solded a broken wire joint so the radiator fan could run auto again. during the opening and fixing of the thrmo switch the fuel pipe from pump to fuel switch (CNG) got cracked and punctured (it was a desi pipe so got hard with temperature). I didnt noticed it got in the car and started it . I got out to wait for the fan to kick in and saw petrol being sprayed all over the started engine (engine was running on CNG). I immediately tried to stop the leak with my hand to avoid it from the distributor but the moment i reached the leakage point and suddenly with a bang a huge fire ball emerges and blew me off my feet . I fell back and saw my hand and arm was on fire i tried to set it off with my other hand but it caught fire too. I ran with both hands on fire to a bucket nearby which was used to collect water from a split ac. luckily it was quite full and i managed to submerge my hands and fire went off.
I turned around and say the whole engine on fire with flames touching the 11feet high roof on the porch. I couldnt get pass the fire to turn of the ignition switch as the passage was to narrow. I didnt knew what to do then suddenly i took the whole 15 litre bucket of water and threw it over the engine and THANKS to ALLAH the fire extinguished immediately but the engine was still running and petrol was still spraying . i jumped forward and snatched the relay (i fixed it near the battery) off which was giving current to the ignition coil. The car turned off and i fell to the ground in an altered state of consciousness. The pain in my hand and arm was excruciating. I was all alone in the house that morning. So called a friend instead of my mom/dad and went to a hospital. I was lucky that i managed to escape with just 1st degree burns on my hands and bit of right arm. I am also missing an eye brow which will grow back soon enough.
Damage to the engine was also minimal (alhamdolillah) few burnt vacuum pipes, wires and hoses.
Please be very carefull while working with the engine.
Check your fuel lines for any possible point of leakage or contact with engine.
Never use the pipes available in the market use the original ones from the used parts market.
Remove the negative terminal of the battery before doing any DIY involving engine
Do not work alone.
In case of fire , turn off the engine immediately.
Petrol fire usually dont go off with water. always keep a small fire extinguisher in the car or nearby while at work.
PLEASE BE SAFE