Well done! Great job rescuing that poor thing. Ugly as it may be, you now have the opportunity to do it some justice.
Good luck for the restoration and please do take plenty of pictures.
My own 61 Bug resto is about to start inshallah soon, perhaps by the end of the month. Just been collecting bits and pieces and enjoying her as is.
Recently got hold of a mid-60s original Blaupunkt radio for the 61 Bug - in perfect working condition, AM shortwave. A rare treat to be installed after all the hard work is done!
Tuner/volume buttons missing, will add period VW ivory knobs I suppose.
Also, looking for the following parts for my 61 Bug:
1. Steering wheel chrome 'D' or semi-circle, to fit 60-63 beetles (not the later type, 66-)
2. Black Wolfsburg badge, ??
3. Turn signal/indicator switch, white/beige, to go with white/beige steering wheel, 60-65 beetles
4. Any and all GLASS panels - windshield, side windows, door windows, rear windows etc, to fit small-window beetles (i.e. pre-64), used is fine as long as relatively scratch-free. Mine are too scratched to use after 50 years. Must be OEM SEKURIT German glass, will pay accordingly.
5. Assist Straps - (those 'loops' inside on the pillar, affixed to headliner), need a pair, pref. beige.
6. Hubcap Clips - for pre-65 cars, to fit domed hubcaps...need as many as poss!
7. Wiper Arm or Pair - silver, for pre-64 cars. Either one will do or a pair.
8. Rear Pop-out windows - for pre-64 cars...??? I had a pair, stupidly lost in london.
If you have any of the bits above, or anything else that may be of some use...please let me know. Waiting. Thanks!!!