Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default ALTIS - Review

Hey all,

Got delivery of an Altis a few days back. Had'nt come across any in depth reviews while I was thinking of purchasing one, so figured that the following review, however subjective, may be of some use and interest to those who are thinking of buying the Altis and to others.

Comparisons to other vehicles are to vehicles which I have driven. Technically, I am a lay-person. Also, all statements are subjective and are not meant to be categorical; to each their own.

Car under review: Toyota Corolla Altis, manual transmission, colour: flaxen mica.

Exterior: Well, most of you will have seen the exterior. Not much different from the GLI except for the fog lamps, side skirts and chrome inserts in the side mouldings. Nevertheless, I think it looks great, especially in this colour. The addition of rims and new tires though, makes a world of a difference to the overall look of the car. I went straight from the dealership to the tyre shop (Khan Tyres, Melody Market, Islamabad--excellent service once you get to know the owner). Got sporty (but not too flashy) 15 inch five spoke rims and 205/60 Yokohama ES 100s. The new rims and tires have greatly enhanced the look of the car--its a pity Corolla doesn't have these as standard. However one point to note is that while the Inidan Corolla has a whole host of features, alloys, and a great front grill (same one as the imported Camry), the average price of a fully loaded manual Indian Corolla is upwards of 14.7 lacs. While not completely exonerating Indus Motors, our far lower price is some small comfort.

Interior: Almost identical to that of the now defunct SE Saloon. Personally, I didn't find the imitation wood finish to be too jarring/obviously fake. The quality of the plastics, while not as good as that of the Civic, seems to have improved. The centre piece of the interior is the Pioneer audio deck. Excellent show piece, and draws oohs and aahs from passengers where the rest of the interior fails to. Driving position is comfortable. Leg room space is also quite decent. Overall the interior cabin appears to be roomier than similar class sedans. Contrary to other comments I have read, road and other exterior noise is fairly subdued. Engine noise does intrude, especially during acceleration, though this may be to the liking of some people.

Driving/handling/acceleration/braking etc.: Before going into the details, let me say that the Corolla does not dissappoint in this area. The engine of the Altis is spectacular in terms of its delivery while you're driving. The car responds to the slightest touch on the acceleration pedal. Power delivery is there at most speeds, level of rpms. The car surges forward when you press the accelerator whether its running at 2200 rpm in 3rd or at 3600 rpm in 4th. Its a new car so I have'nt pushed it too much but it does do 0-100 kph in under 10 secs (but above 9). Handling wise the change in tires/rims have made a huge difference. Driving the Altis from the dealership to the tyre shop felt at times like trying(but failing)to tame a wild bull. The car seems to be too heavy and powerful for the original spec tyres. With the new tyres and rims, driving the car is a pleasure. Cornering, switching lanes at speed is done assuredly. Also, breaking is excellent. Braking in the SE Saloon, XLI and GLI is terrible. This was a major concern for me, while deciding to buy the Altis, but after a test drive, my fears were allayed. Braking is at least as good as in the Vti. However, I feel the Civic Vti is a more intuitive handling experience--the car works with you from the start, and even a novice driver will appreciate the ease with which that car handles. The Altis, with the new rims and tires, is a great driving experience, but unlike the Vti, it is more a matter of getting to know the car and its limits and taming the beast.

Passenger comfort, front seat and back seat, far exceeds that of the Civic Vti. To date, passengers of both sexes and all ages have told me how they prefer the ride comfort (especially in the back seat) of a Corolla. The ride comfort has handling impications, but as stated above, the Altis is a rewarding and fun drive.

Overall, I am of the view that the Altis is a great buy, when compared to other cars available in the Pakistani market. A point to note though is that since my firm will be paying for the petrol and maintenance of the car, I did not consider these otherwise important factors.

I hope the above was useful and informative to whatever extent. Take care y'all.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Friends i got the delivery of altis on 13/7/05 it was the ist 1 deliverd from rawal motor, have driven almost 8000 km on petrol and on long route it gave me avg of 14/ltr with a/c,at 4000km i got it converted on cng its drive is exelent on cng with a/c it gives around 170 km/55cylender and no pik difference since its 1800,i found it better than vti b4 altis i was having vti 2004 as far as abs is concernd i found it better than vti,i just changed the tyres rims r standardard take my words its better than alloys specially people which r planing 2 put 15/16" rims plz dont put that it reduces road grip and also decreases fuel consumption i will suggest instead of spending Rs.20000-25000/= on alloys one should change the tyres and put cng in it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

no diffirence in acceleration because its 1800cc??? does it make a diffirence only on 800cc whether its on petrol or cng?
    ,,, unless you know the track, you're not good enough to sit behind the wheel." K T

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@zwk35

can u please tell me what mileage km/litre were u getting on petrol in city, with a/c.

thanks

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yasser,
    did you give the 2.0D a thought before you went for the Altis, which I assume is available only in petrol.
    Great review btw. Seemed like I was reading an article from car and driver ! where'd u get ur law degree frm ?and are u practicing in islamabad these days ?
    http://www.islamicsphere.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

benz300:

Thanks!

No didn't give much thought to getting a 2.0D/Saloon. The only reasons, which make sense to me, for someone to go for a 2.0D/Saloon would be for: (i) higher resale/value retention, and (ii) lower fuel costs. I have driven my uncle's 2.0D Saloon (latest shape) and there is a significant difference in the overall driving experience, most notably, and obviously, in the zipping around department--whats the point of paying so much for a car if you can't get a few thrills while you're still young!

As regards your other queries, I qualified as a barrister and am a partner currently located at the Islamabad office of an international law firm.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

nickatnite:

Thanks, and hope you have a great weekend as well!

So converting the prices for the high end 1.8E at IndRs.1=PakRs.1.35, the price for a top end manual runs easily into the PakRs.14-15 lac region.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

---------------------------------------
    Friends i got the delivery of altis on 13/7/05 it was the ist 1 deliverd from rawal motor, have driven almost 8000 km on petrol and on long route it gave me avg of 14/ltr with a/c,at 4000km i got it converted on cng its drive is exelent on cng with a/c it gives around 170 km/55cylender and no pik difference since its 1800,i found it better than vti b4 altis i was having vti 2004 as far as abs is concernd i found it better than vti,i just changed the tyres rims r standardard take my words its better than alloys specially people which r planing 2 put 15/16" rims plz dont put that it reduces road grip and also decreases fuel consumption i will suggest instead of spending Rs.20000-25000/= on alloys one should change the tyres and put cng.
    ---------------------------------------

Hello zwk35,

I am amazed by fuel consumption you are getting, are you sure of it?

Because even my XLi is giving me a fuel average of 100KM on CNG (55 KG tank). And on petrol it gives about 8.5-9 Km/L.

YasserY, thanks for the great & Professional car review. What is the max speed you attanined on Altis in 2/3 gears with the wheels you have?

Also, can you confirm or contradict to the above statement of zwk35?

Kind regards.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear YasserY,

Can you please post some pictures of your Altis with the wheel you have used?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

FXGenius:

If you are referring to the statement on fuel consumption, the best an Altis can realistically give is 10-10.5 km/ltr.

I can't recollect top speeds for individual gears, but in getting to 100 kms in about 9.3 seconds I'm usually in 3rd gear.

Pics, I don't have as yet, though I was thinking of taking some. I may upload some this week, time allowing.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ YasserY

I have installed Yokohama 205/60 ES100 tires in my Altis. However the car's suspension feels hard and stiff and the steering does not feel too stable. it tends to turn left and right on rough road. also the road feel in the steering is too strong. i can feel the slight bump in the steering.

I understand that u have the same tires in your Altis. Can u please advise if u have encountered this phenomena?

Thanks for your help.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Reduce tyre pressure to 28 psi and then check
    Be polite on the road. Always give way to others, particularly ambulances and pedestrians.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    24 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

it wont help much reducing tyre pressure
    a friends Altis gives me same crude feel on steering when i drive it.
    Keep a cool head and wear seatbelts!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

one sentence to compile the thread

" really nice car, with really bad handling "
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

even try 26 or 27 and buy a tyre pressure guage it will help almost all pump gauges are faulty
    nothin good in life is for free

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Great review YasserY.

What i found from driving my brothers altis is that the car isn't setup propperly for the powerplant. Meaning that it's too much engine for the car with that wheel/tyre/suspension setup.

Any other altis owners feel the same way?

(BTW I'm not corolla bashing, just curious)
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yes i feel the same way more engine than the car could handle , kind of ok brakes nothing like the honda city 2000 brakes, that was too much brake for the engine

i have a daewoo as well and that handles much much better and even feel to gain grip when pushed at a sharp turn or when at high speed

but it also lacks the brakes though
    nothin good in life is for free

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Corolla in China comes with 205/60/15 as standard equipment. Drove it a few days back to check " whats all the hype about". Car is just OK, but nothing special. Here Toyota launched it along with Reiz which is 2.4 Ltr and way too beautiful as compared to Corolla. I think Corolla will fail here as other cars in 1.8 Ltr are

VW: Passat, Bora, Santana, Golf, Polo
    Hyndai: Elentra, Matrix
    Nissan: Sunny
    Kia: Picantro
    Chevrolet / Buick: Sail, Excelle (Optra)
    Citeron: Ellyse
    Peogot: 205
    Audi: A4
    and many more all in close price ranges.

If so much choice is avilable Corolla is just one run of the mill "nothing speacial" case.
    Drive safe, life is precious

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Agree with nascar and Storm here, with the regards to the power in the car, the engine is really good, it has too much torque. The brakes arent as good as i would like but still ALOT better than older SE Saloon.
    Flickr; http://www.flickr.com/photos/karim_khan/

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

very nicely written review infact one of the best i have ever read on these forums

16" Alloys with 205's would have costed you around 30-35k, i got my rims replaced and it costed me 21k keep in mind that in my previous set of rims one of the rim was damaged i kept my tyres though...
    Lost in /dev/null

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

well my experience has been different. the more u mess with stock family saloons the more **** u get in. i have seen ppl expecting too much from a family car here. its not that bad if u treat it as its supposed to be.

i have a Gli and im running yoko c-drive in it. 185/65/14 (stock rims).

cornering has been improved since i reduced the front tyre pressure to 28psi. (braking distance has reduced but still brakes are not good, no ABS in Gli)

i have driven this car on stock as well as low profiles.

lower the rims stiffer the ride. its common sense. i have seen cars over steer and under steer with lower profiles.

try it out and u will feel the difference. plus deviating from standard/stock settings may hamper ur suspension life.

mazher, yes the steering would be sensitive and the car will give you an unstable feeling but you gotta live wid this pal! safe driving (y)
    Life is about passion...not fashion!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

User Tag List