Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default 11th Gen Corolla (Hornet): An Unlucky Affair

Introducing Corolla GLi 1.3 (Super ECT)
    Asalamoalikum respected PakWheel members and guests.
    Alhamdolillah, Allah has blessed me with this brand new car after I let
    Viper go to its next handler and keeper, after a very satisfying experience of a little over four years. With blessing from Allah (S.W) and friends like you, I hope to make this is a no-nonsense, extremely informative and enjoyable thread just like Viper. This cannot be possible without your support, appreciation, critique, guidance, sharing and participation. So hop in, like and subscribe.

But, the driving experience has not been anything more than average. The only aspect in which this car stands out (at the moment in Pakistan) is its shape.

Table of Contents
    1. Introduction and Background ------------------------------ Page 1
    2. Stark Naked Review (The Decision)---------------------- Page 1
    3. True Horror Story (On Fuel Consumption) -------------- Page 1
    4. Review (Exterior Styling, Build Quality)------------------- Page 2
    5. Aerodynamics Verification (Thanks @autophile) ------ Page 2
    6. Review (Interior Styling, Layout and Build Quality) --- Page 3
    7. Comparison Recap ------------------------------------------- Page 4
    8. Performance and Drive Quality ---------------------------- Page 4
    9. Final Thoughts and Wrap Up ------------------------------- Page 5
    10.Teaser Photos ------------------------------------------------- Page 5
    11. Fog Lamps (Options, Variety and Selection) ---------- Page 6
    12. Night Visibility Upgrade Philips CrystalVision -------- Page 7
    13. Decide Between White and Black Colours ------------ Page 7
    14. Stainless Scuff Plates (OEM Toyota) ------------------- Page 9
    15. Combo Utility / Multi Purpose Hook Dock ------------- Page 9
    16. Interior Photo Showing Some Changes --------------- Page 11
    17. Night Time Photography ----------------------------------- Page 11
    18. Fresh Update on Drive and Handling ------------------- Page 12
    19. Photography by @Spano's Galaxy Note 4 ------------ Page 12
    20. Steering Controls (Install Photos and Cost) ----------- Page 13
    21. GLi (Auto) Underpower Myth Busted -------------------- Page 13
    22. Hornet's Climb to Monal (Videos) ------------------------ Page 15
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    https://www.facebook.com/hidefcars

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aston999 View Post
    yes u do it very much.. what are u by professional
    Ordinary Gormint Molazim

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadbakht View Post
    Ordinary Gormint Molazim
    ORDINARY :O Acha Sir
    Platinum&Iridium Plugs,Performance 8MM Wires,Automotive Bulbs and Bosch Horns for sale Contact: 0333-3035482

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Continued........

Review (Contd)
    Interior

Corolla &quotHornet" -1568881
    Styling. "Classic styling". That's what every reviewer says. I won't further dwell on that much. In the shortest manner I can only describe it as simple, functional, practical and okay. Its old school but purpose built and definitely elegant. There's nothing much that will excite you. I kinda like the minimalist styling. Much has been designed keeping few popular luxury cars in view which is a good thing.
    Corolla &quotHornet" -1568918

Lighting and Illumination
    Thank God, IMC has done away with the amber coloured illumination. The fresh blue illumination in the instrument cluster and everywhere else is beautiful. Cabin lighting is adequate eliminating dark zones and the need for more reading lights (though more is always welcome).

Look and Feel
    The overall black interior and beige accents complement each other well. They do not overwhelm one another, though black has been intentionally kept dominant. Gives kind of a more premium look if not feel. That common beige interior had grown over us. Vinyl (or rubber) which Toyota calls soft touch padding used is of very good quality and comes re-engineered to absorb noise in the cabin. The rest of the plastic is solid but will require Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant after some time.

Build Quality
    First of all there is no such thing as a rattle free car in a C-Segment PKDM sedan. Cars develop some kinds of squeaks, creaks and rattling over a period of time. And while you may sell your soul to the devil, buy all the Dynamat or similar insulation you can but that is not going change the game. Why not? Because rattle/creaks are something that happen mostly where two pieces or things are snapped or joined together. The more the joints or panels the more the rattle / vibrations specially when it?s a PKDM on Pakistani roads. Do also coin in the factor of expansion and contraction (6 Grade Science) for plastic panels specially at the joints. Yes I'm talking about climatic changes. Ever noticed how your car feels and drives smooth after having been parked in the sunlight for quite some time?
    This time around, IMC has nailed it by introducing tighter tolerances specially at the joints where pieces would snap fit. It could still be improved though. In addition, the trick is lesser number of pieces/panels in the dashboard. If some of you guys have both an 11th Gen Corolla and an 8th/9th Gen Civic, go and count the number of plastic pieces/panels in both. See? Toyota has kept it lesser and simpler. The Civic may have lots of curves and folds (bells and whistles) but that means more joints.

Noise Dampening
    Ahh. This is where it's all magic. While aerodynamics may have some role to play, nevertheless, the insulation or noise deadening is extraordinary. Specially, the acoustic Wind shield (whatever the heck that means). Google says that Acoustic Laminated Wind Shields are the same as a standard wind shield, but they have been made with an additional thin, sound absorbing technology between the glass that reduces the interior noise by 3dB overall, and even more in the frequency where people "hear" the human voice. Please note that this windscreen is considerably lighter in weight yet stronger and also reduces the overall weight of the vehicle. How it improves cabin quietness specially when air pressure fluctuations against the wind shield at highway speeds results into:
    -Air impinging on the edges of the vehicle?s body panels
    -Other vehicles environmental noise
    -Road noise and vibration which is also transmitted through the body
    I absolutely love that conversation with another passenger with virtually no need to raise the voice or shout out loud. Very quiet interior, period.

Driver-Car Interface
    . Its much better in 8th / 9th Gen Civics. Those cars are driver friendly and the driver feels in command. In the case of 11 Gen Corolla, the dashboard is higher and while the driver seat reclining may help, it certainly won't make a difference until there is a seat height adjuster. Which I presume is available in Grande.
    Forget about reversing safely if you are the kind of guy who turns his head like in the exorcist movie while reversing. You won't see a thing in the rear due to visibility from inside and ride height. All around visibility from rest of windows is okay. If you are driving in an unfamiliar area, chances are that you may not be able to keep clearance from sides due to visibility. This may not apply to guys who are 5'9' and above. My experience is based on my height 5'7'.
    The MID is welcome after having driven 8th Gen. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of the 9th Gen Civic but it's usable giving you all the basic information.
    Tilt and telescope is there with plenty of incremental adjustments. While the steering has been nicely designed, yet, it still doesn't feel as nice as that of the Civic's. The material is synthetic. It's nice and tacky but the shape/grip angle is certainly not. Again, no biggie. Just needs a little getting used to, being a case of personal preference.
    The layout is quite practical or should I say user friendly. I do miss the slider adjustable centre console but thank God, at least it's got one deep enough to place a full sized pistol (1911, Beretta 92F/Taurus PT92, Glock 17, CZ Shadow muzzle down/grip up). However, the sliding type center console would have been much appreciated. The interior doesn't need much time getting used to. Everything is unmistakably within reach. After all it's like the same Corolla that probably our dads drove.

Trunk/Boot Capacity
    . Absolutely lovely. With that much real estate you could dump virtually anything. This too is a welcome step after having owned 8th Gen Civic for years. Oh and I love that trunk lid insulation. Makes hell of a difference trust me. A very very important part.

Cabin Spaciousness
    . When the first time I opened the door and seated myself in the cockpit, I was like, 'hey nice". The interior or cabin space was visibly and noticeably more than that of previous models of Corolla and those of 8th and 9th Gen Civics. Thanks to the classic design. Seats are quite comfortable from the rest of the competition for sure and long trips are not going to give you bum sores. Big and tall guys may not be able to do Kung Fu but still plenty of space for them to be comfy.
    Corolla &quotHornet" -1568921

Miscellaneous
    . Thank you IMC, thank you so much for quality "lock-secure-type" floor mats. I'm yours forever on this one. I do miss the placement of side mirrors adjustment controls of my previous Civic. I don't understand why Toyota keeps slapping these on the dashboard. IMC has surprisingly maintained it's generosity of giving 3 headrests in the rear and that folding arm with elegantly styled cup holders.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ fouadbakht
    Hi, some one suggested you to write a novel, IMHO you should seriously think about it or jump in content writing.
    Any way really enjoyed your reviews, and anxiously waiting for next episode.

Sent from portable device.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Many congratulations on the new purchase brother I am a little late in coming here but, I am here now btw read this thread extensively and enjoyed and liked every word of it. I mean, the reviews, the stories, sublime ! Anyways, looking forward to seeing HORNET's body and insides.:p

you are doing a good job here (Y)
    The men are back. @TGT.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by omar4494 View Post
    @ fouadbakht
    Hi, some one suggested you to write a novel, IMHO you should seriously think about it or jump in content writing.
    Any way really enjoyed your reviews, and anxiously waiting for next episode.
    Gosh you guys really sound serious. Thankyou very much for the encouragement. I requested Pakwheels couple of weeks back to write for them. They weren't interested. Well, Pakwheels must be right.

Quote Originally Posted by hamza_xeg View Post
    Many congratulations on the new purchase brother I am a little late in coming here but, I am here now btw read this thread extensively and enjoyed and liked every word of it. I mean, the reviews, the stories, sublime ! Anyways, looking forward to seeing HORNET's body and insides.:p
    you are doing a good job here (Y)
    So very glad to know that Hamza. Keep remembering me in your prayers.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Gosh you guys really sound serious. Thankyou very much for the encouragement. I requested Pakwheels couple of weeks back to write for them. They weren't interested. Well, Pakwheels must be right.
    @ToofaneBatameezi Is this rejection true? :O

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by VCheng View Post
    @ToofaneBatameezi Is this rejection true? :O
    Yes VCheng bro. Sent in a reminder too but no reply ever came. So I though I'll just stick to the good old Members Rides Section.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Is the Hornet 1.6 or 1.3? If it 1.3 then how does it feel after driving the1.8 viper?
    life is but wheels!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1018 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@fouadbakht tell them explicitly that you will write for FREE and you get the Clean Green CHIT ! may be in next few hours on a working day !

Good to see you happy for switching from Lawn Mower to a proper CAR Stay safe stay blessed, ride & drive safe !
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes VCheng bro. Sent in a reminder too but no reply ever came. So I though I'll just stick to the good old Members Rides Section.
    Sir, you should be aware that nothing sarkari moves with any speed in Pakistan. A lack of response is not a rejection, so there is some hope still. Let's see what the Barey Babu Sahib decides, if he cares to respond.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by incognito59 View Post
    Is the Hornet 1.6 or 1.3? If it 1.3 then how does it feel after driving the1.8 viper?
    Hornet is 1.3L. I'll answer your question in complete detail in the next part of the review covering drive performance and handling. Stay tuned.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sir, you should be aware that nothing sarkari moves with any speed in Pakistan. A lack of response is not a rejection, so there is some hope still. Let's see what the Barey Babu Sahib decides, if he cares to respond.
    Perfectly understandable, Vcheng (btw I dig your nick/ID, wonder how you chose it in the first place). But I wanted to write clean. But you know what? I think I'm better off here with so many of you guys. Becoming a band of brothers.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by capsat View Post
    @fouadbakht tell them explicitly that you will write for FREE and you get the Clean Green CHIT ! may be in next few hours on a working day !

Good to see you happy for switching from Lawn Mower to a proper CAR Stay safe stay blessed, ride & drive safe !
    Absolutely nailed it bro

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Perfectly understandable, Vcheng (btw I dig your nick/ID, wonder how you chose it in the first place). But I wanted to write clean. But you know what? I think I'm better off here with so many of you guys. Becoming a band of brothers.
    I am enjoying your writing here, as are many others, I am sure. Please carry on!

(My nick is based on my name waaaaay back from once upon a time, long long ago.)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by capsat View Post

A 1.3 liter car is only a little better than a lawn mower, no offence intended to anyone!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

A 1.3 liter car is only a little better than a lawn mower, no offence intended to anyone!
    Perhaps This Simpson could better express my feelings?
    Corolla &quotHornet" -1568932

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@fouadbakht great interior review. Never knew about accoustic windsheild. It's good to have it in new Corolla as in 9th Gen there was no soundproofing and the noise of wind inside the cabin was too annoying even with full windows rolled up.

It's also good to have an unbiased review from a previous 8th Gen Civic owner as at Pakwheels and elsewhere PKDM Corolla is considered the "worst" car in the entire universe
    Be polite on the road. Always give way to others, particularly ambulances and pedestrians.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Perhaps This Simpson could better express my feelings?
    Corolla &quotHornet" -1568932
    yeah he's actually not a Simpson
    Congratulations on getting a Hornet (way better then a cow)
    Drive safe

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers