50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Question about auto transmissions

Can I throw a moving Honda automatic in neutral and shut the engine down? Or should engine be on to provide lubrication to the transmission, like Toyotas? Do Hondas even have a transmission lubrication pump?

In other words, Honda flat tow scene on?

If yes, are all model years flat towable?

Click here for SOLUTION

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ZainMahdi View Post
    Can I throw a moving Honda automatic in neutral and shut the engine down? Or should engine be on to provide lubrication to the transmission, like Toyotas? Do Hondas even have a transmission lubrication pump?

In other words, Honda flat tow scene on?

If yes, are all model years flat towable?
    You can tow the vehicle in N position and engine turned off until 60kmh speeds. Increasing above the speed will/can destroy your transmission. That's Honda I am talking about. Either CVT or Prosmatec.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You can only tow auto transmission vehicle with its front wheels in the air if its fwd. Same goes for rwd.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using PW Forums mobile app

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sk_KingpiN View Post
    You can only tow auto transmission vehicle with its front wheels in the air if its fwd. Same goes for rwd.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using PW Forums mobile app
    If you have the lifter else you can tow in N

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The below excerpt has been taken from Honda City Vario's Manual

Question about auto transmissions -1485365

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by babarhyd View Post
    The below excerpt has been taken from Honda City Vario's Manual

Question about auto transmissions -1485365
    100% correct. Best if you can have the driven wheels lifted.
    I Dont Drive Fast, I Fly Slowly....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

all auto boxes have fluid pumps in them

never tow them with the driving wheels rolling as it will burn out the clutch packs (no lube provided to them)
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by babarhyd View Post
    You can tow the vehicle in N position and engine turned off until 60kmh speeds. Increasing above the speed will/can destroy your transmission. That's Honda I am talking about. Either CVT or Prosmatec.

thats for all autos - not just honda.

honda "lassan" transmission are finicky and "delicate" as is - why are you trying to burn it.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    thats for all autos - not just honda.

honda "lassan" transmission are finicky and "delicate" as is - why are you trying to burn it.
    That's what they suggested when no lifter is available... It's in there manual.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I know its there - its usable but very carefully.

when towing like that - make sure you stop every 5 kms for 15 minutes.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks @ALL .I will use this information to further advance my hypermiling. Previously I started coasting in N with engine on, despite people advising against it. There was no transmission damage for the past 3k km. Now I will try it with engine off. Of course, I will coast with engine off in short distances of 1 km at a time, at reasonable speeds. Other hypermilers have reported engine off coasting at up to 65mph.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks @ALL .I will use this information to further advance my hypermiling. Previously I started coasting in N with engine on, despite people advising against it. There was no transmission damage for the past 3k km. Now I will try it with engine off. Of course, I will coast with engine off in short distances of 1 km at a time, at reasonable speeds. Other hypermilers have reported engine off coasting at up to 65mph.
    You were asking for hypermiling?

*facepalm*

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

in D or D4 the sprag is already part of the driveline - meaning it will coast as soon as you let off the accelerator. Why are you shifting to N, coasting in N can damage the unit too even with running engine, coasting at 100 km/h withe engine off = towing it with engine off => new transmssion purchase => wife asking you where is the money gone to => fight => divorce

If you are that much inclined to saving fuel then consider buying a bicycle.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

in D or D4 the sprag is already part of the driveline - meaning it will coast as soon as you let off the accelerator. Why are you shifting to N, coasting in N can damage the unit too.

If you are that much inclined to saving fuel then consider buying a bicycle.
    Gaari waise bhi replace honi hai. Iss liye is par last minute experiments kar raha hoon

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

all auto boxes have fluid pumps in them

never tow them with the driving wheels rolling as it will burn out the clutch packs (no lube provided to them)
    Gaari waise bhi replace honi hai. Iss liye is par last minute experiments kar raha hoon
    Take care man. You may experiment with your car that's fine, but don't put you life into risk.
    Don't leave a highway for a byway....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

you are then going to sell the car to the scrap yard?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

you are then going to sell the car to the scrap yard?
    No, I think he will sell it to some one like him to carry out further experiments on it...OR to an idiot like me ( you will find several) who do not know much about cars...
    Don't leave a highway for a byway....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by imrananr View Post
    No, I think he will sell it to some one like him to carry out further experiments on it...OR to an idiot like me ( you will find several) who do not know much about cars...
    Thanks for the concern guys. You may be right; maybe the transmission will fail. @Xulfiqar you know more about the inner workings of transmissions more than I can ever hope to know. For that, I keep your words in mind while attempting this in my car.

The first thought in a driver's mind should always be safety; his own, other drivers' and pedastrians'. The car should also be operated according to guidelines set by the manufacturer, to avoid fatal failure.

Now let me share a story about the car.
    Back in 2010, my family was on a trip to Murree. Suddenly, the head gasket blew and the engine overheated, just as murree came into sight. We had no choice but to head back to Islamabad. My father turned the car around, threw the shifter into neutral, and shut off the engine. The car coasted like this all the way back to our home; all of 65 km. Occassionally, he would turn the engine back on to replenish the brake boost. Other than that the engine stayed off.The transmission suffered no apparent damage after that incident. To date, it still shifts like it shifted back when we bought the car. It shifts like a typical Honda; crisp and predictible.

Now, I have taken an interest in hypermiling. Not as a way to save money (although that is a welcome bonus), but as a challenge or a game. I am a speed demon at heart like all of us here. Crowded roads, lack of lane discipline, and traffic laws prevent me from speeding.
    Hypermiling is a healthy and more rewarding alternative, if practised safely. I consult all the experts before trying any new advanced techniques.
    @imrananr We will tell the new owner all the faults about the car, bro, don't worry . Its accident history, engine repair history, everything. Its original mileage is currently 260k km (and counting fast). The previous owner sold it as genuine and non accidented. The lie was revealed when the entire right side paint faded after 2 years . The new owner won't suffer the same deceit.

Cheers

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

get a vehicle with manual transmission
    https://www.facebook.com/OsamaAbbasPhotography

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for the concern guys. You may be right; maybe the transmission will fail. @Xulfiqar you know more about the inner workings of transmissions more than I can ever hope to know. For that, I keep your words in mind while attempting this in my car.

The first thought in a driver's mind should always be safety; his own, other drivers' and pedastrians'. The car should also be operated according to guidelines set by the manufacturer, to avoid fatal failure.

Now let me share a story about the car.
    Back in 2010, my family was on a trip to Murree. Suddenly, the head gasket blew and the engine overheated, just as murree came into sight. We had no choice but to head back to Islamabad. My father turned the car around, threw the shifter into neutral, and shut off the engine. The car coasted like this all the way back to our home; all of 65 km. Occassionally, he would turn the engine back on to replenish the brake boost. Other than that the engine stayed off.The transmission suffered no apparent damage after that incident. To date, it still shifts like it shifted back when we bought the car. It shifts like a typical Honda; crisp and predictible.

Now, I have taken an interest in hypermiling. Not as a way to save money (although that is a welcome bonus), but as a challenge or a game. I am a speed demon at heart like all of us here. Crowded roads, lack of lane discipline, and traffic laws prevent me from speeding.
    Hypermiling is a healthy and more rewarding alternative, if practised safely. I consult all the experts before trying any new advanced techniques.
    @imrananr We will tell the new owner all the faults about the car, bro, don't worry . Its accident history, engine repair history, everything. Its original mileage is currently 260k km (and counting fast). The previous owner sold it as genuine and non accidented. The lie was revealed when the entire right side paint faded after 2 years . The new owner won't suffer the same deceit.

Cheers

your transmission does not have a rear pump like the old mercedes had - that pump allowed you to even tow start the car, it would apply enough pressure that the clutches engaged but they warned against it as it required an expert attempt.

the attempt was

with cold transmission - pull the car to 65 km/h with shifter in N - shift to D and wait 3 seconds for the engine to fire - if no success then stop and wait 30 minutes before reattempt.

the rear pump as tiny and slow compared to the front pump - some cheeky owners blew the transmission from doing this. (MB got rid of the pump in 1991)

new electronic NAG1 and NAG2 boxes never got it - infact it cant - the whole unit is a gearhead + geek product.

your dad doing the coasting downhill did ruin the box, you never came to know of it because you or your mechanic may have never known what to test or check (most mechanics think that if a shift happens - the box is OK - no matter if the shift is darned hard as a kick or sloppy as spaghetti)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

User Tag List