4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Honda City vs. Toyota Corolla [My personal experience]

Okay so one of the most commonly discussed topics! Toyota Corolla and the Honda City's debate. I'm going to try and put an end to it by sharing my personal experience with both of the cars without any personal hate or love towards any of them.

I drove both brand new Honda City 1.3 and Toyota Corolla GLI 1.3 manual - 2013. Both cars on Petrol and in complete genuine condition without any alteration whatsoever.

I'm going to put down all the analysis and fairly simple terms without making it too technical so a common buyer would be able to understand.

Seating Capacity:
    - Both Honda City and Toyota Corolla have almost the same seating capacity. While Corolla has a slight bit of more space according to the details and hardly noticeable, I didn't find a very major difference. Specially in the front seat.

Seating Comfort:
    - I don't understand why people over-exaggerate the comfort of Toyota Corolla's seating comfort, the difference is definitely there but not much. Both Honda City and Toyota Corolla's seating comfort is almost the same with Corolla providing around 10% - 15% more comfort.

Interior Build Quality:
    - Once again, both of the cars have pretty similar build quality just like any other Pakistani vehicle. Both offers cheap plastic made dashboard, consoles etc. However, I did notice that Toyota Corolla's build looks a bit better.

Interior Features:
    - Again pretty typical features, both of the cars offer almost the same features. There is a very annoying part of Honda City's dashboard box where the cover just falls down knocking the board when you open it, while Toyota did a fine job on making it smoothly coming down and making no noise at all. Toyota Corolla also offers dual boxes on dashboard one opening upwards as you may have noticed.

Air Conditioning:
    - Both Toyota and Honda has successfully made their air condition pretty powerful even in hot daylight. I failed to find any major differences.

Steering:
    - Very similar steering quality. Both of the cars are fairly smooth and the steering is pretty light. If there would be any difference I hardly doubt that it would not be negligible.

Handling:
    - Honda clearly won the cake here. At both lower and higher speeds controlling Corolla is much harder than controlling City. As soon as you hit 100 KM+ You'll find yourself losing control of the Corolla while the driver can keep the City in control at fairly high speeds.

Braking (ABS):
    - Once again I found Honda City's braking quality a bit better than Toyota Corolla's. Not a major difference but I'd say the braking of Honda City is at least 15% - 20% better than the braking of Toyota Corolla.

Suspension:
    - This is very obvious. Toyota Corolla offers much softer suspension than Honda City and one of the reasons why it's mostly preferred on bumpy roads. The difference I experience would be around 30% - 35% more softer suspension than Honda City.

Cabin Sound:
    - Once again, Toyota takes the cake here. The cabin sound of Toyota Corolla is around 15% - 20% less than Honda City's due to the suspension differences.

Engine Sound:
    - Honda City is a bit quieter than Toyota Corolla. The engine pretty much makes no sound at all. I'd say around 20% - 25% quieter than Toyota Corolla.

Power Windows:
    - Honda City's power windows are around 10% - 15% louder than Toyota Corolla's.

Transmission:
    - Pretty similar. Failed to spot any major differences.

Acceleration:
    - Honda City due to its lightweight is pretty faster in terms of acceleration. While Toyota being an under-powered car is certainly not as good as Honda City when it comes to acceleration.

Overall Driving Speed:
    - Even the Toyota Corolla owners would have accept it with a heavy heart that it's very under-powered. Reason being its weight / power ratio. The 1.3 VVTI engine simply isn't enough for a car like Toyota Corolla. However, Honda City is pretty lightweight and hence a bit faster than Toyota Corolla. I also drove a Toyota Corolla GLI 1.6 Automatic and that is really something when it comes to weight / power ratio.

* A true story: I wanted to look for a used Toyota Corolla and I made a call to one of the owners selling his GLI in DAWN newspaper. I told him that I'd like to visit and have a look at his car, the moment I said that, he told me "Please also acknowledge that Toyota Corolla is very under-powered. You might wanna look for something else if you would like a car that is fast". I don't intend to offend anyone, I'm just sharing what I experienced and it is indeed a true story.

The Drive on well carpeted roads:
    Honda City offers a bit more driving pleasure on properly carpeted roads than Toyota Corolla. Reason being its better handling, braking and acceleration.

The Drive on bumpy roads:
    Toyota Corolla is a much better choice due to its softer suspension and minimal cabin sound. Honda City simply fails to provide any pleasure or comfort here.

Exterior Build Quality:
    Toyota Corolla offers around 10% - 15% better build quality than Honda City.

Ground Clearance:
    Toyota Corolla provides better ground clearance than Honda City.

Turning Radius:
    While technically both of the car should offer the same turning radius but Toyota fails to do so. Honda City's turning is much easier than Toyota Corolla.

Other factors:
    - I also noticed that Toyota Corolla has some very unnecessary width that makes it more likely to get dented and scratched in heavy traffic. Honda City however is a bit compact and hence a bit safer.
    - Toyota Corolla offers an extra brake light I'm not sure what it's called while Honda City doesn't.
    - Honda City offers a modern oil cap opening system by just a slight push while Toyota Corolla still offers the same old system operated through inside the car using a pull button.

Resale Value:
    Toyota Corolla GLI is a hot cake when it comes to selling. Its resale value is pretty good while Honda City's resale value is not really impressive.

Spare Parts:
    Honda City can be a bit more costly when it comes to spare parts while Toyota Corolla's spare parts are pretty cheap.

Mileage:
    As I didn't drive both of these cars for too long, I would not comment on it except I've heard from the owners that Honda City provides better fuel consumption than Toyota Corolla.

Durability:
    I can't simply make any comments here reason being that both of the Honda City and Toyota Corolla's new shapes are not very old in the market but this shouldn't be different just like most of the factors. You can simply find any 3 years old Honda City working perfectly just like any other 3 years old Toyota Corolla. It pretty much depends upon the owner whether he knows how to take care of a car or not.

That's pretty much it. Once again, as I stated earlier I've tried my level best to deliver all my experience very honestly without favoring any of the cars regardless of any personal love or hate to any of the make or model. Any other input is warmly welcome. Hope I helped the people who are in the dilemma of choosing between these two!
    Thank you very much!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Newton View Post
    No im not defrnding my corolla

The first confusion which people face is altis and xli looks the same well u buy a car for your self not to show off and in terms of driving and features altis is a totally different car, anyways lets not go into further detail.

Corolla and civic are rivals all over the world and they belong to compact sedan category where as city is a sub compact sedan which is a competitor of liana, belta etc.

We have to compare apples with apples, if civic is 1.8 and corolla is 1.6 it doesnt mean they are not competitors.

I saw another thread where people were comparing sequoia vs armada vs lc vs patrol unfortunately we are doing the same.

And another thing feel the doors of corolla and dash board some day (top of dash board) you will know what im talking about.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    I really don't want to act rude but you're testing my patience with your statements changing in every post. First you said that you can convert your XLI to Altis any day and now you're saying that you buy a car for yourself and not to show off?

Corolla and Civic are rivals all over the world. Sure, lol. Okay tell me then how a Civic's competitor gets outperformed by a sub-compact sedan? I mean the most important part of any car is inside the hood aka Engine and even the Corolla owners would accept it with a heavy heart that the new VVTI is not appropriate for the Corolla.

I'm comparing apple with apple you're the one trying otherwise.

I don't care about other threads.

I've felt the top dashboard of Toyota Corolla the first thing when I sat into it and it was all plastic. The older Corolla had the leather interior but the newer one is all plastic.

Your Toyota Corolla is made of platinum and it is a BMW's competitor. Feel better and put a medal on your Corolla.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

And do you even know what the term 'Competition' means? A competition is when both cars are giving each other a hard time in one regard or another. That's what have been happening in the case of City and Corolla since the beginning and that's why I made this thread. Even tho I tried my level best to finally pick a winner but I failed as you can't simply just do it in this case. Corolla is better than City in a few ways and City is better than Corolla in a few another ways. That's competition.

While on the other hand, there is not one single aspect where Corolla can beat Civic, that sir I call a defeat.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes new corollas ac compressor is sensor based thats the reason when u switch it on or off u dont feel power difference suddenly, old corolla had better ac, (I own both old and new corolla).

Liana has the best ac in Pakistani assembled cars.

Hmmm...my friend has both n in his case old corolla 2007 has outstanding AC where as new 2010 Gli, 28k driven has guzara laiq AC.

Sent from my A8 using PW Forums mobile app

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

How old r u ? 16 ? U sound like one, y would a sane person loose patience when its a discussion about cars. Its an open thread and any body can reppy with their views y would u want to loose temper ?

Old corollas dash board is not made of leather it just has a foam pading underneath, new corollas dash upper is soft plastic, doors upper hav soft plastic and doors hav proper fabric trim with a foam padding, where as city lack all the above.

Under powered well yes to some extent and not entirely true I touched 180 three of four times with 4 adults on board where as old corolla used to die at 165 to 170.

Look the the sales of civic they are reduced by atleast 60% comparing to the sales of eagle eye exi and vti.

And I like altis corolla thats y converted mine into one, I dont want to show off, I could have told u I own altis but I said its xli

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

How old r u ? 16 ? U sound like one, y would a sane person loose patience when its a discussion about cars. Its an open thread and any body can reppy with their views y would u want to loose temper ?

Old corollas dash board is not made of leather it just has a foam pading underneath, new corollas dash upper is soft plastic, doors upper hav soft plastic and doors hav proper fabric trim with a foam padding, where as city lack all the above.

Under powered well yes to some extent and not entirely true I touched 180 three of four times with 4 adults on board where as old corolla used to die at 165 to 170.

Look the the sales of civic they are reduced by atleast 60% comparing to the sales of eagle eye exi and vti.

And I like altis corolla thats y converted mine into one, I dont want to show off, I could have told u I own altis but I said its xli

I'd loose temper if I'd see my effort of typing going to waste because of someone who fails to understand the simplest things.

I've clearly mentioned in my original thread that the interior build of Corolla looks better. Do you want me to take a picture licking it and saying how does it tastes so awesome?

You may have hit 250+ but nothing changes the fact that the VVTI engine is a total crapper for a heavy body like Corolla. City can outperform it and you're comparing it with Civic. Give me a break, lol.

Even with lower sales, anyone would prefer Civic over Corolla anyday if he can afford it. Reason is pretty simple once again, Civic is by far superior than Corolla.

We're not talking about what we like or what we don't. So no personal preferences.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Haris.K View Post
    I'd loose temper if I'd see my effort of typing going to waste because of someone who fails to understand the simplest things.

I've clearly mentioned in my original thread that the interior build of Corolla looks better. Do you want me to take a picture licking it and saying how does it tastes so awesome?

You may have hit 250+ but nothing changes the fact that the VVTI engine is a total crapper for a heavy body like Corolla. City can outperform it and you're comparing it with Civic. Give me a break, lol.

Even with lower sales, anyone would prefer Civic over Corolla anyday if he can afford it. Reason is pretty simple once again, Civic is by far superior than Corolla.

We're not talking about what we like or what we don't. So no personal preferences.
    U need some ketchup for that licking ? Y would u wanna put efforts in typing when we know corolla is a clear winner in 1300 and 1600 cc where as sales of altis 1.8 were not bad either.

Yes a city can out run a corolla and a civic can out run a corolla as well but does that really matter ? We are not comparing ferraris and lambos here, no matter what but corolla is a compact sedan city is a sub compact sedan until or unless next model of city is equal in size.

Your efforts are nice but inclined towards Honda.

z06
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

well said, true indeed
    "Whoever said money can't buy happiness never bought a CORVETTE "

..::Z06::..

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

U need some ketchup for that licking ? Y would u wanna put efforts in typing when we know corolla is a clear winner in 1300 and 1600 cc where as sales of altis 1.8 were not bad either.

Yes a city can out run a corolla and a civic can out run a corolla as well but does that really matter ? We are not comparing ferraris and lambos here, no matter what but corolla is a compact sedan city is a sub compact sedan until or unless next model of city is equal in size.

Your efforts are nice but inclined towards Honda.

Keep the ketchup, you'll be needing it when you'll lick your Corolla.

Corolla is the clear winner in your own garage as there is nothing else to compete with.

Just because Suzuki Mehran sales the most doesn't mean there aren't any better options. People buy Corolla because of it's cheap spare parts and resale value while people who have better understanding of class go for Civic.

Corolla is good because of its suspension, City is good because of its driving pleasure. For the rest of the details please check the original thread.

My efforts were unbiased as the other Honda and Toyota owners are appreciating it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I found toyota AC much efficient. After sunset i can see frost on grills and also sometimes it throws frosty air
    The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Keep the ketchup, you'll be needing it when you'll lick your Corolla.

Corolla is the clear winner in your own garage as there is nothing else to compete with.

Just because Suzuki Mehran sales the most doesn't mean there aren't any better options. People buy Corolla because of it's cheap spare parts and resale value while people who have better understanding of class go for Civic.

Corolla is good because of its suspension, City is good because of its driving pleasure. For the rest of the details please check the original thread.

My efforts were unbiased as the other Honda and Toyota owners are appreciating it.
    I wont lick my corolla dont worry , but good point is atleast u compared civic with corolla. But y would u include a mehran in city corolla thread ? Plz stick to topic.

Driving pleasure depends on personal liking.

Well yes I dont have any other car to compare in my garage but u also own a city and a coure .

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

OMG.. come on you guys..let it go
    im a civic & corolla owner and i feel like altis nd gli 1.6 are competitors and accordingly gli 1.3 xli nd city are competitors..thats that
    Nothing is good or bad bt your thinking makes it so

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I wont lick my corolla dont worry , but good point is atleast u compared civic with corolla. But y would u include a mehran in city corolla thread ? Plz stick to topic.

Driving pleasure depends on personal liking.

Well yes I dont have any other car to compare in my garage but u also own a city and a coure .

I included Mehran because of your 'sales point of view' just to shed light on it.

Driving pleasure depends on the steering, acceleration, transmission, engine noise, handling and braking.

What does your last comment explains? :/

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Nice review.ONe thing i would like to contradict you is the interior space of Corolla is bigger than both civic and city (i got a civic).The rear seat of corolla is very big that too with more legroom compared to city and Civic.Rest all your points are rite
    Aunda Fan

z06
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

agar kisi k pas abhe vitz ho , kya wo bhe kuch kehsakta hai in this historic discussion topic
    "Whoever said money can't buy happiness never bought a CORVETTE "

..::Z06::..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I included Mehran because of your 'sales point of view' just to shed light on it.

Driving pleasure depends on the steering, acceleration, transmission, engine noise, handling and braking.

What does your last comment explains? :/
    Mehran is made for the masses and yes its a hit but corolla surpassed the sales of mehran and became the car for the masses.

I would like to add few things in driving pleasure, comfortable seats better and bigger cabin, better suspension, city only has edge over acceleration.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Mehran is made for the masses and yes its a hit but corolla surpassed the sales of mehran and became the car for the masses.

I would like to add few things in driving pleasure, comfortable seats better and bigger cabin, better suspension, city only has edge over acceleration.

Comfortable seats, yes and I've already mentioned that in the original thread once again learn to read pretty please. Bigger cabin is not really a part of driving pleasure unless you're giant who is having a hard time fitting in a sedan. Better suspension, yes if you're driving on bumpy roads.

Why are you quoting all my points while I've already mentioned them in the original thread. Are you sure you're not high or something?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

City to bachi ha choti c
    Gli size equal to1.8civic so its road grip is almost equal to civic
    Ager koi is baat ko nai manta to main us k ly sirf dua hi ker sakta hon.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using PW Forums mobile app

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I'd highly appreciate if people would start reading the original thread before leaving their illiterate remarks. Thanks!

20. 02-08-2013, 10:52 PM

PakWheeler

Reason
    Not needed.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by chwaseem View Post
    City to bachi ha choti c
    Gli size equal to1.8civic so its road grip is almost equal to civic
    Ager koi is baat ko nai manta to main us k ly sirf dua hi ker sakta hon

Sent from my GT-I9300 using PW Forums mobile app
    Have you ever owned a civic or even got a chance to drive one?
    Please participate in healthy discussion in a sane manner rather than using 3rd class wordings in a healthy discussion.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@rozzzzz @Libra thread needs to be moderated or locked.
    The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status, is that, deep down inside, we all believe that we are above-average drivers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

User Tag List