THE UNIVERSAL JEEP
(This page is based on a poster originally published by Four Wheeler magazine in September 1997.)
From humble origins -- a handful of prototypes built by three different manufacturers -- the Jeep 1/4-ton utility vehicle has evolved over the years into one of the most popular and versatile vehicles ever made. Named the "Universal Jeep" by Willys-Overland shortly after World War II, it's been used in combat and for desert racing, for rock crawling or daily driving . . . in short, if there's a road or trail anywhere in the world, chances are that sometime, somehow, a Jeep has driven over it.
1940 Bantam Pilot Model
Using the term that has become generic in the English language, this is the undisputed first "jeep." Built by the American Bantam Car Company of Butler, Pennsylvania, it was delivered to Camp Holabird, Maryland, on September 23, 1940. The first vehicle of a 70-vehicle contract, "Old Number One" was tested thoroughly and then spent the rest of its short life as a demo vehicle. It was wrecked in a traffic accident early in 1941, sent back to Butler and disassembled. The mechanical pieces were probably incorporated into the Bantam Mark II's that were then in production. Legend has it that the unusable body sections were buried along with a pile of scrap on the Bantam grounds. (U.S. Army)
1940 Bantam BRC-60
The Bantam BRC-60 (or Mark II) was the first revision of the Bantam pilot model. These hand-built models were part of the first 1/4-ton contract for 70 vehicles (1 pilot model + 69 additional after acceptance of the pilot model, to be distributed as follows: 40 for the Infantry, 20 for the Cavalry and 10 for the Field Artillery.). The successful tests of the Bantam pilot model revealed some weaknesses, and improvements including the more military looking, squared-off front fenders were incorporated into the additional 69 BRC-60 (Bantam Reconnaissance Car) vehicles. Only one is known to still exist, in the U.S. Army Transportation Museum at Fort Eustis, Virginia.
1940 Willys Quad
Willys built five Quads, according to company records, and delivered two (one with four-wheel steering) for the Army's contract competition in 1940. Its 60hp "Go-Devil" engine blew the doors off Bantam and Ford (the other two competitors) and won the contract. The Quad, however, was a heavyweight and had to go on a big-time diet to meet the Army's requirements; when re-weighed, it was ounces inside the 2,160 pound limit. The Quads have all since disappeared, but one lasted long enough to be photographed in the early 1950's. If Bantam Number One marked the beginning of the Jeep era, the Quad marked the beginning of Willys' dominance of the series. (Jeep Public Relations)
1940 Ford Pygmy
The Pygmy was one of two vehicles built by Ford for the Army contract race in 1940, and it was accepted for testing alongside the Bantam and Willys units. The Pygmy's overall layout, including the squared-off hood, headlights on the grille, and dog-legged windshield pivots, was highly praised and became the pattern for the later Willys MB. But like the Bantam, the Pygmy fell victom to the Quad's more powerful engine. The vehicle shown, owned by the Alabama Center for Military History, is the actual Pygmy that was tested at Holabird in 1940. Of the vehicles involved in the fierce, three-way competition that marked the opening chapter of the Jeep legend, only the Pygmy and the Budd-bodied Ford prototype still survive. (Alabama Center for Military History)
1940 Budd Ford
This Ford prototype had a body built by the Budd Corporation, which stayed closer in design to the Bantam pilot model, while the Ford engineers created a new design for the Pygmy. Perhaps Ford wanted this vehicle as a fall-back if the Army rejected its new design. At any rate, the Pygmy was indeed accepted for the tests at Camp Holabird, and the only significant action seen by the Budd-bodied prototype was in parades and war bond rallies. Shortly after the war, it disappeared until found in the California desert by Jeff Polidoro in 1998. It joins the Pygmy as one of the only two surviving 1940 pilot models, and will no doubt emerge from under its coat of yellow paint. (Todd Paisley)
1941 Ford GP
1941 Ford GP
A direct descendant of the Pygmy, the Ford GP was an updated model produced under an initial contract for 1,500 vehicles each from Ford, Willys and Bantam. As Lend-Lease requirements increased and the Willys design was finalized for mass production, more GP's were ordered and Ford ended up building 4,456 units, most of which went to Lend-Lease. Contrary to popular belief, the GP did not stand for "General Purpose." GP was a Ford engineering term, "G" for a government contract vehicle and "P" for 80-inch-wheelbase Reconaissance Car. Of the three early jeep models, the Ford has the most remaining specimens; about 200 are known to remain, including Steve Greenberg's restored '41. (Steve Greenberg)
1941 Willys MA
1941 Willys MA
Willys knew that the Army would want an improved model and started development of the MA even as the Quad was being tested. In the three-way deal, 1,500 MA's were ordered. The MA was definitley an evolutionary vehicle. Very much different than the later MB, the MA featured a column shift and a host of other detail changes that put it between the Quad and the MB. The basic drivetrain was still the Warner Gear and Spicer components of the Quad, Ford and Bantam. The MA is the least common of the pre-production Willys, with only about 30 examples known to exist of the 1,553 originally built; most were sent to Russia under Lend-Lease. This MA belongs to the Alabama Center for Military History. (Alabama Center for Military History)
1941 Bantam BRC-40
The BRC-40 was the final evolution of the Bantam design. The Army initially contracted for 1,500 units, but 2,605 were eventually assembled. Bantam ceased motor vehicle production after the last was built in December of 1941 and carried on building trailers, torpedo motors and landing gear. The BRC-40 had many fine features and was well liked by the Allied forces that used it; its light weight and nimble handling were particularly noteworthy. At least 100 BRC-40's have survived the years, making them the second most common of the pre-production 1/4-tons. This restored BRC-40 belongs to Steve Greenberg of Portland, Oregon. (Steve Greenberg)
1942 Willys MB Slat-Grille
The first 25,808 Willys MBs used a welded steel grille very similar to the Ford GP design, and there were a host of other differences from the later Willys. These early MBs had "Willys" embossed in the back panel. In production, the slat-grilles were given running changes until they finally evolved into the standard stamped-grille MB we know and love. Around 200 slat-grilles are estimated to survive today, including this one owned by Reg Hodgson of Edmonton, Alberta, Editor of Army Motors, the official magazine of the Military Vehicle Preservation Association. (Reg Hodgson)
1942-1945 Willys MB
1942-1945 Willys MB
The hero of World War II. Willys produced 335,531 units, and they served in every theater of war, in every conceivable role, and with every Allied army. They were also given modifications including longer wheelbases, skis, armor plating, railway wheels, and weapons mounts of various types. This vehicle changed the way Americans looked at the automobile and added a new word to our vocabulary: Jeep. Early versions had "Willys" embossed on the back panel, but the military frowned on the free advertising and ordered the practice stopped. MB's are plentiful, easily restored and a heck of a lot of fun. This superbly restored 1944 MB belongs to Tony Standefer of Bothell, Washington. (Tony Standefer)
1942-1945 Ford GPW
As Ford built the last of its GP units, it landed a contract to build jeeps to the Willys pattern. Ford designated these vehicles GPW (Government, 80-inch wheelbase, Willys). The front cross member is a U-channel instead of the Willys tubular unit. The letter F (Ford) is stamped on most small components, and the rear stowage compartment differs from the Willys. To war's end, 277,896 Ford GPWs were built, and they're equally as popular and cherished as the Willys. The vehicle shown belongs to John Ferrie of Fort Collins, Colorado and is an early '42 "Script" model, meaning it has "Ford" embossed on the rear panel. (Jim Allen)
1942-1943 Ford GPA Amphibious
As with the contract for the GPW, Ford received a contract to manufacture the amphibious GPA principally in recognition of the company's large production capacity. But development and testing was rushed, there were numerous delays in the production process, and the result was less maneuverable than the services had wanted. Still, 12,778 GPA's were built, with the squarish hull surrounding an interior similar to the GPW, and a power take-off for the propeller. Restored, seaworthy GPA's are still popular, particularly in Australia as well as the U.S. This example was restored by Rod Walker of Queensland, Australia. (Rod Walker)
As the war wound down, Willys turned its attention to the postwar Jeep market and started development of a civilian model. Though there may have been a CJ-1, available records reveal very little about it. The first CJ-2 models were known as "Agrijeeps" on their data plates. Twelve Agrijeeps were produced in 1944, and another 22 or 23 CJ-2's in 1945. These rigs were used at various agricultural test stations around the country. This restored 1944 Agrijeep bears the serial number CJ-2-09. Owned by noted early-Jeep expert Fred Coldwell, the CJ-2 was restored by Charles Ellis and is one of eight known surviving CJ-2's: numbers 06, 09, 11, 12, 14, 25, 32 and 37.
The first of the production CJs (Civilian Jeeps), 214,202 CJ-2As were produced. The earliest versions used a column shift, until early 1946. The earliest units also used the MB's full-floating rear axle and had military tool notches in the body. Unlike the MBs, the CJs used a tailgate and had "Willys" embossed on the hood sides and windshield frame. The beefier T-90 gearbox replaced the old T-84. CJ-2A sales were very brisk, especially considering the almost endless supply of MBs on the war surplus market. A few CJ-2As were built concurrently with the later CJ-3A. This very early CJ-2A belongs to Art Carey of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Art Carey)
This was the last of the "low-hood" flat-fendered CJs. Only a few changes, mostly visual, marked the CJ-3A from the 2A. The windshield is a one-piece design and has a vent just below it. In its four-year run, 131,843 CJ-3As were manufactured. The 3A got an axle upgrade from a Spicer 41-2 to a Spicer 44-2. A stripped "Farm Jeep" option was available for 1951-53 models; these featured a standard drawbar and PTO. In 1953, the CJ-3A was built alongside the "high-hood", F-head powered CJ-3B. This extremely original 1950 CJ-3A belongs to Colin Hutto of Cedaredge, Colorado. (Jim Allen)
1950-1952 M38 (MC)
A direct knockoff of the CJ-3A, the M-38 was upgraded for GI use by a stronger frame and suspension, a 24-volt electrical system, and a multitude of military accoutrements. These rigs saw combat in Korea, but production was low at 61,423 units. An export version was built from 1953 to 1955 for foreign military forces. The headlight guards, blackout lights, battery panel on the cowl and tool notches on the body (passenger side) are the way to ID them. Some were equipped with Ramsey winches. Reg Hodgson's M-38 is decked out in Korean War-vintage Canadian colours. (Reg Hodgson)
The CJ-4M military prototype had the same front end design (never used on a production-model Jeep) as the CJ-4. Blackout lamps replaced the marker lights, and headlamp guards as on the M-38 were also fitted. This pilot for the M-38A1 (model MD), probably built in 1950, has also been referred to as the M-38E1. There was also a CJ-4MP long-wheelbase prototype with the same front end, which apparently preceded the M-170. (U.S. Army)
This is the "missing link" between the CJ-3A/3B and the CJ-5. Only one unit was built in 1950, and it was one of the first prototype Jeeps to carry the new Willys "Hurricane" F-head engine. It combined the rear of a CJ-3A, the hood that would be seen on the MD model, and a unique cowl and fenders on an 81-inch wheelbase. Mechanically, it was pretty standard Jeep. Carrying the engineering code X-151, the rig was sold to a Willys employee in 1955 who worked it for 12 years. It then remained in storage for 25 years, before recently being sold again. (Jim Allen)
1952-1957 M38A1 (MD)
This was the first appearance of the "round-fender" Jeep that would eventually become the CJ-5. The M-38A1 was quite different than the CJ-5, having a stronger chassis and reversed front spring shackles, in addition to the military accoutrements such as standardized GI instruments and 24-volt electricals. The M-38A1 lasted quite a while in military service. Even after it was replaced by the high-tech Ford M151, it could be seen in OD green as late as the 1970's. In all, 101,488 units were produced, some of which went for export. This rig is owned by George Baxter at Army Jeep Parts in Bristol, Pennsylvania. (George Baxter)
1953 BC Bobcat
The Bobcat, or "Aero Jeep" as it was going to be officially called, was designed to be a 1500 pound Air Borne Combat Vehicle which would share as many parts as possible with the M-38 and M-38A1. The frame was apparently derived from the MB frame tooling to save costs, and the prototype weighed 1475 pounds, a little less than the experimental MBL (lightweight) of World War II. Like the MBL, the Bobcat did not go into production, and the concept of a small, lightweight combat vehicle was soon taken a step further in the aluminum-bodied M-422 Mighty Mite. (Willys Motors)
This "high-hood" Jeep was essentially a CJ-3A with the taller F-head engine fitted and a "hood-ectomy" to give clearance. Though it may have been intended as an interim model prior to the intro of the CJ-5, it stayed in production well into the sixties as a shorter-wheelbase option. With only a few thousand a year built, many of them exported, there are not many CJ-3B's around. A total of 155,494 were assembled in the U.S. Strangely enough, they are still being built under licence in India under the Mahindra nameplate. This restored 1961 CJ-3B belongs to Derek Redmond of Kingston, Ontario. (Derek Redmond)
The little-known M606 was basically the CJ-3B straight off the assembly line, with the available heavy-duty options such as larger tires and springs, and a few special-duty add-ons including blackout lamp on the left front fender, blackout tail-light covers, and trailer hitch. The M606 used the standard F-head four-cylinder, and although it had its own military model designation, serial numbers were in the regular CJ-3B series. It was employed by the U.S. military mainly in non-combat roles such as Shore Patrol. This M606 was restored by Rob Baens of the Netherlands, and is shown prior to mounting 17-inch tires on the front. (Urban Luijkx)
Nearly 30 years in production, the CJ-5 outlasted all the other Jeep utilities by a comfortable margin. All told, 603,303 were manufactured, making them the most plentiful CJ by a bunch. Many special editions existed for the CJ-5, including the 1972 Super Jeep and the 1977-83 Golden Eagle. The CJ-5 has been the basis for countless trail buildups, and probably logged more trail miles than any other Jeep. Shown here is a '73 Renegade. This package featured a 304cid V-8 (the first V-8 in a short-wheelbase utility, in 1972), mag wheels, and a host of other goodies that included a Powr-Lok rear limited-slip. It belongs to Dan Chaffin of Nathrop, Colorado. (Jim Allen)
Although the M170 is often referred to as the "military version of the CJ-6," it would be more correct to call the CJ-6 a civvy M170. As with the M38A1, this new Jeep configuration was developed first for the military. Only about 6,500 four-cylinder M170's were produced over ten years, many outfitted as field ambulances. Others were used by the U.S. Marines as light six-man troop carriers. One unique feature is the mounting of the spare tire inside the body on the passenger side, to allow stretchers to extend over the tailgate where the spare would normally be on a military Jeep. As a result, the unusually large passenger side door opening is partially blocked, particularly when a jerry can is mounted in front of the spare. The driver's side door is the same as an M38A1. (Gary Keating)
The only common complaint among early Jeep utility owners was the lack of room. This call was answered in the form of the CJ-6. Essentially a CJ-5 with 20 extra inches of wheelbase (101 inches total), the CJ-6 offered the storage space of a small pickup and the mobility of a Jeep. The demand was not great for the stretched CJ but they stayed in production from 1955 until the advent of the CJ-7 in 1976. They continued in production for export until 1981. Only 50,172 were manufactured, making them a fairly rare bird these days. As seen at the 1996 Easter Jeep Safari, this '75 CJ-6 belongs to Texan Sam Merrill. (Jim Allen)
1955-1964 DJ-3A Dispatcher
The Dispatcher was the first two-wheel drive Universal Jeep, recycling the CJ-3A body with the L-head 134 engine, as a recreational and delivery vehicle. It was offered in soft top, hard top, and "surrey gala" versions, and was available with or without a tailgate. The rear axle was a Spicer 23, similar to the front axle of other Jeeps of the era, although the differential was centered, not offset. Other distinguishing characteristics were the four-bolt wheels and the steering-column gearshift. There was a special model manufactured for use as a postal truck, with the cutout for the right door extended all the way to the floor. Koenig made a special top with a sliding door.
1955-1968 CJ-3B Long
A long-wheelbase CJ-3B was never produced by Willys, but is often seen in the form of versions made by several licensed manufacturers around the world. The version in the photo, produced by EBRO of Spain as a "CJ-6", had a 101-inch wheelbase and was available with a Hurricane F-head or a 4-cylinder diesel engine. Mitsubishi of Japan used the F-head in their CJ3B-J10 (1955-61) and produced several other long-wheelbase models. Mahindra & Mahindra of India referred to their version as a "CJ-4", and is still producing other long-wheelbase high-hood Jeeps. (Darron Coates)
Little is known about this right-hand-drive delivery version of the CJ-3B, except that according to a 1958 Willys Engineering Release, six prototypes were produced for the U.S. Post Office. Although a production model would likely have been two-wheel-drive, the prototype in the photo appears to be built on a four-wheel drive CJ-3B chassis. Presumably it used the F-head 4-cylinder Hurricane, and would have replaced the DJ-3A as the primary Willys fleet vehicle. However, either Willys or the Post Office apparently decided to stick with the aging DJ-3A with its L-head engine, which was produced until 1965 when it was replaced by the DJ-5A Dispatcher 100.
The Mighty Mite was designed by the Mid-America Research Corporation, as a combat vehicle suitable for airlifting and manhandling. It was originally prototyped starting in 1946, and was further developed during the fifties by a team including four of the original Bantam developers. Starting in 1959 some 3,922 were built by American Motors for the U.S. Marine Corps. The M422's unique features included aluminum body, differential-mounted brakes, and an AMC V-4 air-cooled engine. At over $5000 per unit it was relatively expensive, which may account for the small production total. This M422A1 (six inches longer than the first few hundred M422's) was rebuilt by D&L Bensinger of Narvon, Pennsylvania. (Daryl Bensinger)
Tested and prototyped by Ford through most of the fifties, the M151 MUTT ("Military Unit Tactical Truck") went into production in 1959 and became the principal combat Jeep of the Vietnam era. It was produced by Kaiser Jeep, AM General and General Motors, as well as Ford. It had a four wheel independent suspension of unsophisticated design which was responsible for somewhat unstable behavior on bends -- the later A2 version adopted a semi-independent rear suspension to improve the stability. The vehicle was thought dangerous for civilian use on the road, so the Army used surplus M151's for parts, and the stripped vehicles had the frame and rear suspension cut before being offered for sale as scrap metal. (Robert Stanley)
1964-1967 CJ-5A/CJ-6A Tuxedo Park
The Tuxedo Park was first offered in 1961 as a sporty option package for the CJ-5. This is one of the first times where a Jeep was targeted as a recreational rather than a utility vehicle. In 1964, the Tuxedo Park models were given given their own model numbers, CJ-5A and CJ-6A. They had a column-shifted T-90 transmission, 60/40 bench seat, wheelhouse cushions, 2-stage variable rate springs for a smoother ride, chrome plated hood hinges, outside mirror, taillights and a center mounted license plate bracket. By 1965, a V6 was standard along with bucket seats. They were not great sellers -- the public was not willing to pay a premium for these extras. 7394 CJ-5As were produced in their 4 year run, and 459 CJ-6As were built, making them among the rarest of the CJ variants.
The two-wheel drive DJ-5 Dispatcher 100, almost identical to the CJ-5 but using a Spicer 27 rear axle, finally replaced the DJ-3A Dispatcher in 1965. There was also a longer-wheelbase DJ-6 produced from 1965-1968. The DJ-5A postal version, with a different grille, also had an automatic transmission, extra large doorway, sliding door and right-hand steering. AM General continued to produce variations into the 1980's, using a number of different four- and six-cylinder engines and transmissions. Many postal Jeeps were still in service in 1997, but approaching surplus status. This one was photographed in the Washington, D.C. area. (Dan Fedorko)
1966-1973 Jeepster Commando
Kaiser Jeep recycled the name of the 1948-50 Willys Jeepster for this sporty vehicle, but the C-101 Commando was a closer relative of the Jeep Universal than its namesake had been. On the chassis of a CJ-6 were four body options including roadster, station wagon, pickup, and power-top convertible. The F-head four was standard, the Dauntless V-6 optional, and available features included automatic, power brakes, air, and Deluxe Trim. Andy McGrath's Commando is from 1972, when AMC stretched the wheel base slightly to fit the inline six and the 304 V-8. They also redesigned the grille, but Andy has installed the Jeep-style front clip from a '69. Although 77,573 were sold in just eight years, AMC dropped the Commando after 1973. (Andy McGrath)
The CJ-7 offered a compromise between the CJ-5 shortie and the long-arm CJ-6. With a 93.4-inch wheelbase, it was just long enough for room and comfort but short enough to get down and dirty on the trail. It has proven a popular rig on all fronts. A total of 379,299 units were built in just 10 years of production; 1976-79 models were available with the hi-po 304 AMC V-8. The extra wheelbase also allows for a wider variety of drive train modifications than does the CJ-5. This rig belongs to Mike Golly of Loveland, Colorado. (Jim Allen)
1977 Jeep II
The late-seventies trend toward fuel economy and smaller vehicles prompted this "Concept Jeep II" prototype, which stylistically was very reminiscent of the Willys MB. Unless seen side-by-side with the CJ-5, it is hard to believe that the Jeep II is two feet shorter and nine inches lower. At that time, Renault had not yet purchased American Motors, and AMC couldn't afford the cost of developing an all-new Jeep to the production stage. They eventually discarded the idea of simply shrinking the CJ, and in the early eighties began the development of the Wrangler.
1981-1985 CJ-8 Scrambler
After the CJ-6's demise in 1975, there was another cry by owners for more room. AMC answered with the CJ-8 "Scrambler." Built as a 103-inch-wheelbase pickup with lots of rear overhang, the CJ-8 came in hard- or soft-top models. The Scrambler was a very modest seller, with only 27,792 built. An upswing in popularity in the 1990's has turned the old CJ-8 into a very hot item with lots of room for trick modifications. This well-used CJ-8 belongs to Greg Noss of Glenwood Springs, Colorado. (Jim Allen)
1986-1996 Wrangler YJ
With CJ sales lagging in the mid-80's, AMC responded with the Wrangler. Lower and wider than the CJ, the Wrangler was not looked upon as a "real" Jeep by the fans, but gradually it won them over and has proven to be a capable and adaptable design with a personality all its own. What it lacked in out-of-the-boxability, it more than made up for in adaptability: with an immense variety of aftermarket development devoted to it, the Wrangler is a four-wheeld Erector set. A total of 632,231 YJ Wranglers were built in its production run. This 1994 Wrangler belongs to Al Bsharah of Royal Oak, Michigan, and carries the chrome trim "Bright Package". (Al Bsharah)
1988-1995 Wrangler Long
This unusual long-wheelbase version of the YJ Wrangler was popular in Venezuela and was still made by Chrysler in small numbers as late as 1995, in the city of Valencia. The steel hard top was available on both short and long Wranglers until 1990, and then became unique to the long version. Both versions used the same 4.2L (until 1990) and 4.0L sixes. Production of Wranglers in Venezuela has declined with the economy in recent years, and as of 1997 the TJ has not been produced at all. (Derek Redmond)
1991-1993 Renegade YJ
Although it followed in the tradition of upscale trim options first seen in the Tuxedo Park, the 1991 Renegade was an unprecedented $4000 package that radically changed the appearance of the YJ. Unique features included front body-color bumper and wrap-around fender skirts with integral fog lamps, sound insulation in hood and firewall, 15x8" aluminum wheels, and available red hardtop. The new 4.0-litre I-6 engine with fuel injection was standard. (Scott Geram)
1997-1998 Wrangler TJ
Starting with the basic Wrangler platform, Jeep engineers gave the little utility the most thorough working-over since the Quad evolved into the MB. Virtually nothing was left untouched. The coil-spring suspension makes this the best-riding and best-performing out-of-the-box Jeep ever built. The TJ has been garnering rave reviews since its debut in early 1996, and it appears that Jeep has just begun making the Wrangler a more appealing sport-ute. The TJ is proving to be an extremely adaptable trail vehicle, as a wide variety of aftermarket performance parts are becoming available. (Jeep Public Relations)
Jeep designers made room for rear doors by stretching this prototype's wheelbase to 108.5 inches, almost 15 inches longer than the Wrangler. It also had a new windshield, side glass, and steel roof with built-in tubular roof rack and sliding canvas sunroof. Other features on the Dakar included a folding shovel in the front fender, jerrycans on the tailgate, and an adventure module inside the rear door with a night vision scope, binoculars, flashlight and compass. The driver enjoys not only the leather and wood-trimmed interior, but also a four-speed automatic transmission behind the 4.0 liter inline six. (Jeep Corporation)
The Icon prototype is wider and shorter than the Wrangler, and has wheel travel increased from eight to 10 inches. Although it has a unibody construction with an integrated aluminum roll cage, it keeps traditional Jeep design elements such as the grille, exposed hinges and door handles, and folding windshield. Icon Designer Robert Laster says he was inspired by high-end mountain bikes. Its seats are exposed aluminum tubes supporting waterproofed leather upholstery. It has a 2.4 liter four-cylinder engine, a 5-speed transmission, and double wishbone suspension. (Jeep Corporation)
Wrangler (2007-) DaimlerChrysler. All new version of the Wrangler. Based on the TJ. Longer and Wider. 95.4 wheelbase. Round Headlights, No metal fenders, turn signals in the grill under the headlights. Optional Rubicon model featuring Dana 44 axles with lockers and 4:1 transfer case. Modular Hardtop. Electronic sway bar disconnect (Rubicon).
Engines - 205HP 6cyl(3.8L V6).
Transmissions - 6sp manual, 4 sp Auto.
Transfer case - NP231, 4:1 Rock Trak (Rubicon)
Front axle - Dana30, Dana44 (Rubicon), Rear axle - Dana35C, Dana44 (Rubicon).
2007 Wrangler Unlimited
Wrangler Unlimited (2007-) DaimlerChrysler. All new version of the Wrangler Unlimited. Based on the TJ. Longer and Wider. 116" wheelbase, 20.6" longer than the 2007 Wrangler. Round Headlights, No metal fenders, turn signals in the grill under the headlights. Optional Rubicon model featuring Dana 44 axles with lockers and 4:1 transfer case. Modular Hardtop. Electronic sway bar disconnect (Rubicon).
Engines - 205HP 6cyl(3.8L V6).
Transmissions - 6sp manual, 4 sp Auto.
Transfer case - NP231, 4:1 Rock Trak (Rubicon)
Front axle - Dana30, Dana44 (Rubicon), Rear axle - Dana35C, Dana44 (Rubicon