Okay so I went to ITP office today to get a new driving license. This is the complete procedure that I had to follow and I hope this helps out other pakwheelers willing to get a driving license in the near future.
First off, these are the documents you will need:
1. Original CNIC bearing Islamabad address
2. Photocopy of your CNIC
3. If you dont have an islamabad address on your CNIC you can bring along proof of residence, like electricity bill or house allotment letter.
4. Around 1000 rupees and a pen.
Here is what you do:
1. Go to the ITP office in F-8 alongwith the materials listed above, go to counter 1 (information counter) and ask them that you need a learner's permit.
2. They'll give you a challan slip and tell what amount to fill. Fill up the challan slip and move to the next counter.
3. Counter 2 will take your payments and give you the stamped challan form back.
4. Move to counter 3, they'll inspect your challan slip and ask for your original CNIC for verification, and also a payment of 25Rs.
5. Take the NADRA verification slip and move to counter 4, they'll issue you a form.
6. Take everything inside the itp office with and go to the medical exam area. There is a window out there, pay them 50Rs and show them all forms, they'll issue you a medical test receipt. Go inside this room and give this receipt.
7. The doctor will ask your height, eyesight and ask you to read a few letters on a board etc and will give you a medically fit certificate.
8. Take that and go to room 3.
9. Sit and wait your turn and approach the lady with all the documents. She might also ask for proof of residence in Islamabad.
10. Stay in room 3 and wait for the other lady to call you by name. Go there and she will give you your learner's permit.
11. Almost done, now you have to go to the media room on the back side of the itp office and attend a lecture to get your permit stamped. The lecture is an hour long and includes basics of road safety.
12. After the 42 days period of your learner's permit is over, go to itp office to appear for the test. And bring along your learner's, cnic and cnic copy and proof of residence in islamabad. Go to information counter and repeat steps 1-7.
13. Go into room 2 and wait for your picture to be taken. The guy will hand you a form with your picture on it.
14. Take the form to room 6 where you will give theory test. Time for test is 4 minutes. 10 questions total and you need to get atleast 7 correct to pass. To prepare for the test, you can google "itp traffic signs" which will return a pdf in top links. Learn the signs on that pdf.
15. Once you pass, the examiner will write your score on the sheet you got in room 2 and tell you to go to the driving test area.
16. Once you are in the driving test area, handover the entire documents to the office located on the right of the sitting area, or you can ask any official there where to submit documents.
17. Once the documents are submitted take a seat in the sitting area and wait your turn. You can also plan out your strategy for driving in this phase. Or watch other people attempt the test.
18. They will call you by name once it is your turn.
19. The officer might provide you with details of what to do on the course. A couple of things to note here:
The mehran that they use for driving test is in really awful condition. The clutch is lose and reacts very fast for the first few inches and doesnt for the remainder so you face some jerky liftoffs. The gear is also awful, as it is very loose and you dont know actually if the gear is enganged or not.
The track is a relatively narrow S shaped curve. They'll ask you to drive forward then backward without hitting anything. And you can look back from inside the car but do not look back by putting yor head outside the car. And double check with your examiner if looking back is allowed or not. They'll usually tell you beforehand. And adjust your seat and mirrors to ease the experience.
You start off from a parallel parking area and then maneuver the car along an S shaped track, then reverse along the track and parallel park on the starting spot. You are not allowed to go forward more than 2 times or reverse more than 2 times during parallel parking and you have to park between 2 white lines drawn with chalk.
20. Once this is done and you pass take your papers from the examiner and go back to that room near the sitting area, the officer there will stamp it and write "passed" on it.
21. Take everthing to the counter 1 (the information counter) and ask them for an envelope. Pay them 28Rs for it.
22. Go to room 2 and write down your address on the envelope. Give it to the officer sitting near the window and he will give you a receipt and tell you that the lisence will be delivered to your address in 30 days.
23. Done. Go home and chill.
Note: there might be some mistakes in room numbers but dont fret, because you can ask anyone there where to go at anytime if you feel lost. Just remember to be polite and they will go out of their way to help you.