Salam PWers' :)
More than a month back bought a used Chevrolet Exclusive LS model-2004. Was too lazy to capture photos or make a thread then.... :P
Well it's my first ever personal car. And by personal car i mean that i CAN take it out anywhere i want and at whatever time i want. Main reason for buying this car was to commute between university and home. And also as its my first car, so i can do some experiments on it
The reason i got this specific car was that Exclusive is quite an efficient and powerful car and its loaded with features that its competitors don't have. Its a 2004 model so basically it was imported from Korea. After that Chevrolet Motors started producing in Pakistan and soon they released the 1000cc much awaited Joy. Mine is the fully-loaded model i.e. LS. It has an 800cc engine and its loaded with ALL options a normal city car should have. Best part about it is the power-steering and power-windows. And i am its 3rd owner and its colour is White.
(sold for 10K)
Condition at purchasing
- Overall condition was average
- It had 75k+ on the odometer and had CNG installed.
- The body was in good condition with a few minor dents here and there.
- Paint work was good, never repainted, but has some black marks here and there.
- Tyres were almost finished, with one tyre almost bald.
- Interior was in immaculate condition.
- Windscreen had some serious scratches from the wiper blades.
I got it pretty cheap as the engine needed repairs and soon they turned out to be serious ones. My mechanic suggested me a complete engine overhaul and a series of other repairs. So my restoration process started.....
1st round of Restoration (took 1.5 weeks) cost ~50K
- Engine had a complete overhaul
- CNG Kit removed
- New clutch plates
- holes welded that housed the CNG kit
my car again to my mechanic. And then it went throught round 2 of restoration....
Cost was immense because the parts are pretty expensive, as this specific model is Korean, but however Alto and Mehran parts can also be easily fitted e.g. Clutch plates. After the overhaul, my mechanic suggested me to run my car 1000kms without A/C. It took about 4 weeks approximately and then i handed over
(took 5 days) cost ~15K
- Suspension repaired
- Front shocks replaced
- Brake cylinders repaired (if there is further problem, they will be replaced)
- Steering rod repaired
- Brake-shoes replaced
- Transmission repaired
- Radiator cleaned
- A/C restored (H)
- CNG filling hole covered
- ALL filters were replaced
- Engine oil, brake oil, power-steering oil replaced
- New Coolant for radiator
- Windscreen got buffed due to excessive scratches rom wipers
(I'm soon going to put up the list that includes all the costs and the parts that were repaired and replaced.)
Upon successfully completing that time with no A/C and gentle driving, the engine head was tightened and the engine tuned. MashAllah the drive was pretty smooth but still as the tyres were old, my car wasn't performing upto my expectations. So it went through round 3 of restoration....
3rd round of Restoration (took 1 day) cost~16.5K
- replaced tyres (Yokohama 155/65 R13 to Dunlop SP70i 165/70 R13) cost~4K/-
- replaced bushes (dont know the exact term) :$
- some steering rod repaired
- Wheel alignment cost~500
After fitting the tyres, alignment couldn't be done as the technician found some problem. The alignment machine was all computerized and it was giving an error, so i went back to my mechanic for this problem. Bushes (still dont know the exact term) were replaced, steering rod was repaired and then my car was again sent for alignment. And 'Voila' the machine successfully aligned all the tyres. :D
Now MashAllah driving comfort is awesome, the wider tyres allow more road grip and smooth drive. Bigger size of the tyres now look good on my car. :)
1. Some plans to start a series of D.I.Y.s (link)
So this car cost me around ~290K and all these repairs cost ~65K
Feel free to comment and rate. Critcs and Suggestions are always welcome. :D
Dont forget to MashAllah STAY TUNED! :)
P.S. Pictures on 1st page. Latest pictures coming soon.....