I recently had my laptop bag stolen from my September 2012 Suzuki Swift DLX. The pain of loosing a brand new laptop is bearable but unfortunately my car's original registration book was in one of the bag's pocket. Waited for more than a month in the hope that maybe that God forsaken pig would return the book via post or something ... finally applied for a duplicate book. As with all things to do with Pakistani public services ... this was a pain too.
Listing down the steps for anyone who is unfortunate enough to need a duplicate book.
- Write an application addressing the Excise and Taxation officer on why you need a duplicate book.
- Attach the Rescue 15 certificate that says the car has not been reported as stolen.
- Attach one original copy of Police Report that states how the original book was lost.
- Attach a tax token certificate from the Pakistan Post office where you paid all the tokens for you car. You will have to submit a written application to Pakistan Post for this.
- Attach an affidavit ... with the oath that you have lost the original book or it was stolen.
- Challan Bill, State Bank of Pakistan of PKRS 500/-. I suggest you pay someone PKRS 200/- to stand in the queue rather than you drenching in the heat yourself.
- News Paper clipping of a general notice to the public about your misery! (book was lost or stolen)
- Form F, duly filled signed and stamped by millions of people of the ETO after they have verified and Checked your car for tampered Chassis and Engine numbers.
- A photocopy of your NIC, crossed of course!
- A photocopy of your original registration book if you were lucky enough to retain one for safe keeping (I fortunately did). (Should not be compulsory).
With all that ready, put them in a file and head for the ETO office Islamabad if you are not already there. Put all the documents in a file and head to window no. 1 at the back of the gutter (ETO Office).
The inspector (window 1) will hastily check your documents after you have queued in the line for sometime. You will be directed to head for counter 5. The guy will charge you PKRS. 250/- as scanning fee and ask you to head to counter 4.
At counter 4 you will be handed a receipt with the expected date of delivery of your duplicate book.
Congratulations, your car after all this inspection is worth less in the market than one with an original book, such is the misery with many things in Pakistan!