Why Hilux Pick-up: The Thought Process
I have always been an enthusiast when it comes to automobiles, with my limited capacity and knowledge, I have always followed the latest industry trends and when it comes to an auto enthusiast, without mentioning the world famous auto show "TOP GEAR" i don't think I will be able to justify my claim. Coming down to the context of this very thread, lets refer to the episode when the top gear team covered a hilux and demonstrating its reliability and ruggedness .
Killing a Toyota: Top Gear Episode
This episode has been on my mind ever since I saw it, but perhaps, now the time has come to put it to the real test. After due consideration of RKRs, Prados, Hilux LN107 was the final choice to proceed along since a pick-up truck offered the luxury of carrying some extra luggage including but not limited to camping equipment, power generators and related stuff hence adding more colors to our camping trips.
Prime Things which made it our choice of the base rig are following:
1. All mechanical Engine: No Electronics - Higher reliability on older rigs.
2. A raw machine: Due to simple mechanical infrastructure, easy to maintain.
3. Toyota 3L Engine is know to have a superb dependability.
4. Super easy availability of parts: Both; new and used
5. Excellent Ground clearance (though its an inherent feature of any SUV).
6. The looks: I find it a mean looking machine, if done right.
To cut short, it didn't take us very long to choose LN-107 as our project vehicle.
P/S> LN-107 and LN-106 are same machines, the only difference is the 106 has leaf springs on front where as LN-107 has a front independent suspension on both wheels, making the ride quality a bit more comfortable compared to leaf springs.