Tires are the important yet neglected part of a vehicle, and hence, it is not new if you forget that tires are indeed the only point of contact between your vehicle and the road. Therefore, it is quite important for the stable mobility of your vehicle, and for personal safety that the quality and performance of your tires should be maintained and checked no matter if you have privately owned a car or if it is rented. Due to the importance of tires for our customers, while driving and ensuring their safety, we have come up with this article focusing mainly on the safety of tire and how to change a flat tire. But, before we go in detail, let us answer the most commonly asked questions, so let’s start!
Service Life of Tire- knowing when to change a tire
This is indeed an important question, but unfortunately, there is no hard and fast rule for this as you cannot determine on the purchase of a new set of tires that accurately what is their life and till when they can be used. This is because a tire is made up of various components of different materials, even the rubber of the tire and its performance is affected depending upon various factors such as driving, weather, and storage conditions of tires. Hence, on a regular basis, drivers need to check their tires and see if they need to be replaced or not.
Apart from the regular inspection of tires, if your vehicle’s tires are more than ten years, then you need to replace them immediately, and for the tire replacement, you need to follow the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendation.
The correct pressure for the tire
The answer to this question depends on the type of vehicle you are using and the load that your vehicle is carrying. However, if you are not aware of the pressure that is suitable for your vehicle, you can find it on the inside of the fuel filler cap which is present either inside the driver’s door sill or in the handbook of vehicle manufacturer, but even then if you are still unsure about the tire pressure, you can visit the service station.
It should be remembered that the pressure of the tires of your vehicle should be able to reflect the amount of weight inside the vehicle. Let’s take an example if a car has either a lot of luggage or many passengers would need more pressure in its tires as compared to when there is only one passenger inside the car.
The connection of rear tires is separate, and they are not connected with the steering wheel, which makes it hard to know while driving if they are gripping the road properly or not. Therefore, it is recommended that you use new tires and fit them to the rear wheels of your vehicle so that in case of emergency brakes there is less risk of your vehicle getting out of control and better control on the car on the road especially in a difficult situation when your car is front or rear-wheel drive.
How to change a flat tire with the spare tire you have?
It is very clear that you cannot drive if you have a flat or a punctured tire, and do you need to go get the spare tire if you don’t have it with you and then change it with the flat tire. But, you need to practice replacing a flat tire with the spare one first before doing it actually if you have never done it before.
- Now firstly, you need to check if you have a spare tire? You may also have a puncture or puncture tire weld.
- Now, make sure there is no one inside the vehicle, and you need to change the flat tire with the spare tire you have.
- Find a place away from the moving traffic; it should be a hard flat surface and change your tire.
- Now you need to apply the handbrake and put the vehicle in gear (for manual) or in the park (automatic).
- In order to prevent your vehicle from moving it in the opposite direction, block the wheels using a stone or wooden block.
- After this, you need to remove the cover of the wheel and loosen the nuts of the wheel. Make sure to not remove them completely at this point.
- Carefully find a hard place under your vehicle and place a jack underneath the jacking point of the vehicle on a flat surface of the ground, and in case you do not know how to put the jack and the jacking point, you can check the manual book of your vehicle.
- Now completely remove the wheel and nuts and then using both of your hands to pull out the wheel completely towards you.
- Take the spare tire you have and replace it with the flat tire.
- After this, replace all the wheel nuts and wheel cover in the same order.
- Carefully lift the flat tire and put it back into your car.
- Once you are done with this, you can take your flat or punctured tire and get it repaired or get a new tire depending upon the situation.
It should be noted that most of the temporary tires that you use as a spare tire, they have a speed limit of about 50 miles per hour (mph) and a distance of about 50 miles.
That’s all from our side. I hope you find this article helpful. Let us know in the comment section below. Happy ready and safe driving!