In collaboration with Mountain Dew, Tourism Development Corporation of Punjab (TDCP) is all set to bring an adrenaline-pumping 15th Cholistan rally 2020 from 13th Feb to 16th Feb 2020. It is Pakistan’s biggest jeep rally, which attracts thousands of visitors, including families from all over the country.
Cholistan Jeep Rally started back in 2005 and has since grown in leaps and bounds. The event portrays a positive and softer image of Pakistan abroad and brings to highlight the real beauty of south Punjab’s landscape. Besides promoting tourism, such events also enhance the livelihood of the locals. The prime objective of holding this event in the heart of the Cholistan desert is to show the outside world its history and rich culture and open this area as a winter tourist destination.
This rally covers three districts of Punjab, including Rahim Yar Khan, Bahawalnagar, and Bahawalpur. More than 100 Racers from all over Pakistan will challenge the sand of the Cholistan in different categories. Veteran racers like Nadir Magsi and Sahibzada Sultan Muhammad Ali and others will participate in the event.
Note here that Mir Nadir Magsi grabbed the top spot in Prepared Category A in the previous iteration of the rally, let’s see who will win this year’s Cholistan Jeep Rally.
The rally is divided into three different categories – Stock, Prepared, and Women category. Stock and Prepared categories are further divided into 4 categories (A, B, C, D). Moreover, there is also an open bike category. The rally will entertain both the bike and car racers.
The Rally route has been extended to 500 kilometers in the Cholistan Desert and also includes major forts of the desert (Dingarh Fort, Marrot Fort, Khan Garh, Bhijnot Fort, Moujgarh Fort, and Jamgarh Fort).
Event Venue is Derawar Fort (Cholistan):
The event venue is Derawar Fort (Cholistan). Approximately 95 km south of the city of Bahawalpur, the forty bastions of Derawar are visible for many miles in the Cholistan Desert. From Bahawalpur, get to the GT Toad towards Karachi. From Ahmedpur East Bypass, take the left turn towards Dera Nawab Cantt. Before Entering Dera Nawab Cantt take Left turn and then right. Due to the opening of Motorway, the distances reduced.
If you are coming from a foreign country or wish to travel by air to reach the venue, you should get a ticket for Multan and from there on travel by road to reach the event.
If you are coming from Lahore, follow the below-mentioned travel plan:
Coming from Karachi? follow this plan:
To-do list before going to see the iconic jeep rally:
- Bring your water along with you, as the water at the Derawar fort will be Saltwater, which is bad for the human body if consumed. Also, you might not find water at all, as the venue is located far from the city.
- It’s a three-day event, so if you wish to spend the nights at the venue, bring your camping tents along with you as there are no hotels there or any preparation by the TDCP for people to stay there.
- Bring warm clothes with you if you are willing to spend the nights there as the weather turns cold at night.
- Local people put up food stalls there; however, it is advised to bring food as there is a chance you might not find the food in the morning or late at night if you are thinking of camping.
- If you don’t want to stay in the desert, then you can also opt to stay in Bahawalpur in the nights and can come to the race venue in the mornings. Bahawalpur is 95 km away from the race venue.
PakWheels.com is the exclusive digital media partner of this event. Stay tuned to PakWheels.com to know all the updates regarding the 15th Cholistan Jeep Rally.